FRAM Tough Gaurd Filter missing ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
You were probably looking at PH9837 which is w/o adbv. PH3675 is w/adbv for that application.

I believe you are on to something here.

My interest piqued here, I decided to do more research on the adbv/no adbv filter applications is it applies to this engine/vehicle, ie., GM 4.2L 6cylinder TrailBlazer.

Using the Fram look up, it seems that depending on the year there are two or three filters that can be used for this application. The 02-04 shows PH3675 or alternatively the shorter (-.75") PH3506 can also be used. Both do have an adbv.

For the 05-09 model years the topic'd PH9837 with no adbv is shown as filter for the this application. Accrding to look up, it has the same outer dimensions as the PH3675.

Otoh, Purolator and Wix (using their respective catalogs) make no distinction between model years, they spec one filter which has an adbv. In the Purolator it's PL/L25288, in the Wix it's the 51522.

Also according to the Fram look up, the ACDelco cross reference to the PH9837 is the ACD PF61/(E). If one does a Google image search of the PF61 they all (ecore or classic construction) appear to show an adbv on the filter. The best site I found is linked below with excellent pics of the ACDelco and other filters for similar GM application. It also shows dissection pics of the PH3675, TG3506 and many others.

So based on this, if I was chosing from the Fram filters for any 4.2L 6 cylinder application, I would go with the PH/TG 3675 with an adbv. Just me. While an adbv may not have been OE spec, there's nothing lost by having one. And it appears the PF61 uses one now.

PF61 19256044 (classic)
PF61E 19210285 (ecore)
PF61 19210285 ( no E suffix) Ecore

GM oil filter application dissection Home Page.

Well I already went to AAP and bought a PF61 and I took pics

Here is one pic and this is a real pic, not one I found online, its the real filter with me holding it.

AC1.jpg

I called up AAP and asked the sales person if this was the E-Core or the older ones
and he said there are only E-CORES sold at this time and said the E-Cores are more updated

here is a 2nd pic of it.

Also I think it has a ADBV, notice the rubber

AC2.jpg

However I was told if the box says professional and has no E after the model number then its NOT a E CORE..

So if this was a E core it would be PF61E and as you can see this is not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
.....So if this was a E core it would be PF61E and as you can see this is not.

Actually I can't see anything as much like your other thread your pics are not visible, ie., X'ed out.

As for AAP info, not saying they are incorrect, but reading on Bitog indicates some/much their counterperson info to be less than reliable.

And if you took the time to view my links you will see that there is an ACDelco PF61 without the E suffix that is indeed an Ecore. Now without see yours I can't tell if it's an ecore or classic construction. However, a simple look down the outlet hole will easily indicate if it's an ecore, black nylon cage, not a metal centertube, as shown in my first linked pic.

As for the adbv, you will note that every PF61 ecore or classic that was linked in my previous post has an adbv, so if yours has one it doesn't surprise me. In fact, based on my previous post and pic links it would surprise me more if it didn't.

As for your pics, seems you need to find a new picture host.

Well i think with this pic you can see the ADBV.

Can you see it?

and this is the AC Delco PF61 that is suppose to come with no ADBV

So you see it?

I can clearly see the RUBBER all the way around.

ACADBV.jpg

Look at this pic also

I think you can clearly see the rubber ADBV
so I think on the NONE E Cores they used ADBVs

acdrainback.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the technical director at FRAM. If your trailblazer is a 6 cylinder, the filter does not have a ADV because the OE filter does not have one. The filter is mounted in a position where it simply doesnt need one. The bypass valve on that engine is in the engine block, mounting another one in the filter would simply be redundant and not needed. Our product strategy is to always mimic the OE filter- If the OE filter has a adv, we put one in. If it has a bypass, we put one in set the same bypass pressure. The only exception to this is on our racing filters, all of them have high flow bypass valves due to racers blocking off the bypass in the block on many GM engines (a terrible modification BTW).

If Fram mimics the OE filters, then they aren't doing a very good job. According to Fram the oil filter for the OP's vehicle is a PH9837 and Fram reports that filter has no ADBV.

The OE filter for the 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer with a 4.2L I6 is an AC Dllco PF61. The PF61 does indeed have an ADBV. Purolator oil filter for this engine is an L25288 and that one does indeed have an ADBV as well.

To the OP, use either an AC Delco PF61 (no E-core) or a Purolator Classic oil filter.

Last edited:
^^^^Still see nada/nothing as far as pics. Your pics are not working. X in box

I don't even see an X in the box ... I see white blank space. I think it's the photo host site he's using ... for some reason some computers must block it out.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^^Still see nada/nothing as far as pics. Your pics are not working. X in box

I don't even see an X in the box ... I see white blank space. I think it's the photo host site he's using ... for some reason some computers must block it out.
21.gif

Right click and open in a new window/tab... they are huge, I think they are too big for the forum software to deal with...

Now back to your regular programming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back