Fram PH7317 Concern

As of others have said, I won't use the Fram part numbers that have fiber end caps. Please watch the attached video as it seems the e-core design that uses the metal leaf spring with integral by pass valve might also be a concern.

BTW I posted this video the other day but my post was deleted by the BITOG team saying that I needed to add a comment regarding the video instead of just posting it (my mistake, I admit it).

It needs the fiber disc gasket that the (older OG) Ultras had. An unfortunate design flaw. That actually isn't a problem for the PH Extra Guard & TG Tough Guards, the fiber endcaps act as the gasket.

Cut open is different from when the filter is constructed and compressed together. The ADBV should seal that area, and on the leaf spring side you will clearly see impressions from the compression against the endcaps which @bullwinkle mentioned functions as a seal. No real problem with these filters. I stopped using them for a while because they were not silicone ADBV. If honda thinks they're good enough for two OCI's, then they probably are.

Cut open is different from when the filter is constructed and compressed together. The ADBV should seal that area, and on the leaf spring side you will clearly see impressions from the compression against the endcaps which @bullwinkle mentioned functions as a seal. No real problem with these filters. I stopped using them for a while because they were not silicone ADBV. If honda thinks they're good enough for two OCI's, then they probably are.
Typically true ... but in this case it looks like the edge of the center tube is bent inward, which the OP said didn't allow the leaf spring assembly to fully seat down on the end cap after I asked him to try it out and see in post 11. But in this case, the ADBV when manufactured happened to be on the end with the bent center tube.

What's seen here is not typical by any means. We have all seen the typical non-issue "gap", but not the edge of the metal center tube bent inward like on this one. How did it get bent ... who knows? But this has not ever been seen like this one before as I recall.

y'all are diverging from the original topic.

We've covered this center tube issue on the PH/TG/A02 filters in the past, feelings have been hurt, lines drawn in the sand and balls taken home.

The bottom line is that the seal is at the media to the end caps and end caps to the ADBV and the leaf spring/bypass. The fiber end caps actually contribute to this seal.

THE ONLY THING THAT TUBE DOES IS KEEP THE MEDIA CARTRIDGE FROM COLLAPSING and the only way it can impact the seal is by allowing a collapse.

It also is not preventing the leaf from seating, they aren't that strong in the circumference only the compression length. The filter would not go together if the leaf would not seat.

The pictured center tube is a 100% non issue.

y'all are diverging from the original topic.

We've covered this center tube issue on the PH/TG/A02 filters in the past, feelings have been hurt, lines drawn in the sand and balls taken home.

The bottom line is that the seal is at the media to the end caps and end caps to the ADBV and the leaf spring/bypass. The fiber end caps actually contribute to this seal.

THE ONLY THING THAT TUBE DOES IS KEEP THE MEDIA CARTRIDGE FROM COLLAPSING and the only way it can impact the seal is by allowing a collapse.

It also is not preventing the leaf from seating, they aren't that strong in the circumference only the compression length. The filter would not go together if the leaf would not seat.

The pictured center tube is a 100% non issue.
Thats it....wheres my ball. I'm out of here......

:)

It also is not preventing the leaf from seating ...
In this case it could have, as the OP tested. The center tube has an excessive bend inward that would not allow the leaf spring to fully seat down on the end cap - it was discussed in this thread. This filter just happened to be put together at the factory with the leaf spring on the end without the bent in center tube. As already mentioned, that bent inward center tube isn't normal, and the first time I've seen that reported. How it got bent? ... who knows.

I actually just saw this video if you guys go to 8:51, the filter shown in this video has the same exact issue?!

I actually just saw this video if you guys go to 8:51, the filter shown in this video has the same exact issue?!

That's not really an issue as discussed, unless the ADBV or leaf spring assembly can't fully seat down on the end cap. But that center tube in the YT video does not have any inward bend like the one in this thread that could interfere with the ADBV or leaf spring seating from what I can see.

The Brand Ranks guys don't really seem to fully understand the gap thing. The center tube could be removed, and there would still be no dirty oil leakage as long as the pleats are glued to the end caps, and the ADBV and leaf spring assembly can sit down fully and seal on the end caps, which they do unless there is something like a bent inward center tube preventing them to seat correctly.

Last edited:
Back