Fram PH7317 Concern

I had a bunch of these around so I opened one to examine to see how the internals look and I'm a little bit shocked! Please take a look at the spacing between the center tube and the media there seems to be a noticeable gap where the media is intruding into the center tube. These were intended to be used for my 2019 Acura but I'm hesitant to proceed and use them. Any thoughts?

16999148553787854328052935391314.jpg

1699914890522760349205565819057.jpg

16999149195486851993316837961222.jpg

It's not seated like you'd expect but that is on the opposite side of filtering so it should be ok.
If the leaf spring and ADBV are sealing on the end caps around the center tube, then that gap doesn't matter. You could take the whole center tube out, and that would still be true. It looks like the ends of the pleats that are showing are still sealed to the end cap, but barely. Have we seen better ... yes.

If the leaf spring and ADBV are sealing on the end caps around the center tube, then that gap doesn't matter. You could take the whole center tube out, and that would still be true. It looks like the ends of the pleats that are showing are still sealed to the end cap, but barely. Have we seen better ... yes.
Wound you use it on your Acura? I also have a bunch of STP S7317XL which I can use instead...

Not gonna effect much with that filter as long as the pleated media is bonded well to the end caps.
Personally I prefer the ST filters or Acdelcos over these by a lot and for less $.

Wound you use it on your Acura? I also have a bunch of STP S7317XL which I can use instead...
I doubt it would hurt anything to have ran that filter, for the reasons I stated. That gap isn't ideal, but doubt it would cause any dirty oil to bypass. Most people don't understand how the seal works on the end caps. There have been many EGs posted that look a lot better than that one around the center tube. If I had X-ray vision and could see that without cutting it open, I'd X-ray vision a different EG that was better if I was going to use an EG. But if you are leery about it, then use something else, it's a free country. ;)

I doubt it would hurt anything to have ran that filter, for the reasons I stated. That gap isn't ideal, but doubt it would cause any dirty oil to bypass. Most people don't understand how the seal works on end caps. There have been many EGs posted that look a lot better than that one. But if you are leery about it, then use something else, it's a free country. ;)
Red flags go up when I hear the word "doubt." Had to repeat many experiments at work because of doubtful designs. STPs look solid though I will go with those.

I had a bunch of these around so I opened one to examine to see how the internals look and I'm a little bit shocked! Please take a look at the spacing between the center tube and the media there seems to be a noticeable gap where the media is intruding into the center tube. These were intended to be used for my 2019 Acura but I'm hesitant to proceed and use them. Any thoughts?

1699921478833.png
Was that the end where the ADBV went, or the end where the leaf spring went? I'd say the ADBV because I don't see the impression ring around the center tube that the leaf spring usually makes.

If you take the leaf spring assembly and insert it into that end, it may not seat correctly because of the center tube edge sticking out. THAT would obviously cause a problem if the leaf spring was held up and couldn't fully seat and seal on the end cap. Try it out.

Was that the end where the ADBV went, or the end where the leaf spring went? I'd say the ADBV because I don't see the impression ring around the center tube that the leaf spring usually makes.

If you take the leaf spring assembly and insert it into that end, it may not seat correctly because of the center tube edge sticking out. THAT would obviously cause a problem if the leaf spring was held up and couldn't fully seat and seal on the end cap. Try it out.
It's the end where the ADBV went. And you are absolutely right. The leaf spring assembly wouldn't even go inside the other end...

It's the end where the ADBV went. And you are absolutely right. The leaf spring assembly wouldn't even go inside the other end...
In this case, this filter had a 50/50 chance of being a big leaker (if the leaf spring couldn't sit 100% down on the end cap) vs not a leaker.

ZeeOSix,

Do you ever cut open oil filters ?
Every one I get my hands on. I've even posted some of them here over the years - but I don't post every one I cut open. Why would you think I don't?

Last edited:
I won’t use a Fram with cardboard / paper end caps.

I will use a Fram Ultra for a few more dollars than an orange can.
The fiber media end cap isn't the main concern. I think it's been discussed and concluded that fiber end caps don't contribute to poor filtration. The concern is the gap shown above in my original post.

The fiber media end cap isn't the main concern. I think it's been discussed and concluded that fiber end caps don't contribute to poor filtration. The concern is the gap shown above in my original post.
As of others have said, I won't use the Fram part numbers that have fiber end caps. Please watch the attached video as it seems the e-core design that uses the metal leaf spring with integral by pass valve might also be a concern.

BTW I posted this video the other day but my post was deleted by the BITOG team saying that I needed to add a comment regarding the video instead of just posting it (my mistake, I admit it).

Every one I get my hands on. I've even posted some of them here over the years - but I don't post every one I cut open. Why would you think I don't?

Your cut and open filter pics on here are like that alpine white deer I keep seeing every once in a blue moon…. Don’t see either all too often. :LOL:

Just messing with ya…

Back