Fram PH3600 1782 mi, HPL EC added

I took these pics today after removing the Fram EG3600 filter from my Highlander. The filter had 1782 miles, as did the original oil; 326 miles into the oil change interval I decided to pour in 0.8 quarts of HPL EC, so this filter is after 1456 mi of the EC product. I was surprised at how little gunk is in the pleats. I guess no news is good news, but after seeing a small amount of oil consumption (1-1.5 quarts per 5000 miles) I was hoping to see some gunk that EC would have removed, and then with piston rings rejuvenated, my oil consumption would drop. Just to be clear, I am not doubting the efficacy of the EC product--evidently there wasn't much gunk to remove. This vehicle has had a steady diet of 5K mile OCIs, for the first 120K with the previous owner, primarily GM Dexos 5w30 & occasionally GTMO 0w20; from 120 to 160 I have used a variety of synthetic oils & also a variety of intervals, generally 4-6K, once going 8K. I replaced the PH3600 with another PH3600. This filter has a Fram date code, which means it was made on February 6, 2023 (the 37th day of 2023).

I do have a question: can I assume that with no increased amount of flecks in the pleats, that I can take my new 3600 farther than 1500-2000 miles, like I was going to do originally? I'd like to stretch the OCI to 5K if that would be safe, although because of the EC product I thought it wise to shorten it to 2500-3000 miles. But it looks like there just isn't much gunk that the EC is removing, so would it be safe to take the oil to 5K, or should I still drain this oil at 2500-3000 miles?

20230807_104742.jpg
20230807_104807.jpg
20230807_104920.jpg
20230807_104933.jpg
20230807_105557.jpg
20230807_105619.jpg
20230807_105652.jpg
20230807_104920.jpg
20230807_104927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By way of comparison, here are links to the two previous filters used on this vehicle, that I also cut open. As you can see, there isn't any more debris caught in the pleats this time, than before:

I took these pics today after removing the Fram EG3600 filter from my Highlander. The filter had 1782 miles, as did the original oil; 326 miles into the oil change interval I decided to pour in 0.8 quarts of HPL EC, so this filter is after 1456 mi of the EC product. I was surprised at how little gunk is in the pleats. I guess no news is good news, but after seeing a small amount of oil consumption (1-1.5 quarts per 5000 miles) I was hoping to see some gunk that EC would have removed, and then with piston rings rejuvenated, my oil consumption would drop. Just to be clear, I am not doubting the efficacy of the EC product--evidently there wasn't much gunk to remove. This vehicle has had a steady diet of 5K mile OCIs, for the first 120K with the previous owner, primarily GM Dexos 5w30 & occasionally GTMO 0w20; from 120 to 160 I have used a variety of synthetic oils & also a variety of intervals, generally 4-6K, once going 8K. I replaced the PH3600 with another PH3600. This filter has a Fram date code, which means it was made on February 6, 2023 (the 37th day of 2023).

I do have a question: can I assume that with no increased amount of flecks in the pleats, that I can take my new 3600 farther than 1500-2000 miles, like I was going to do originally? I'd like to stretch the OCI to 5K if that would be safe, although because of the EC product I thought it wise to shorten it to 2500-3000 miles. But it looks like there just isn't much gunk that the EC is removing, so would it be safe to take the oil to 5K, or should I still drain this oil at 2500-3000 miles?

View attachment 171408View attachment 171409View attachment 171410View attachment 171412View attachment 171413View attachment 171414View attachment 171415View attachment 171410
Beautiful photos, and nicely done. What oil went back in?

I Thank You 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍

I didn't pour in any oil---I just removed the filter because it had HPL EC in the oil for 1500 miles.

I'll check the oil level tomorrow, but it looked like maybe 1/3 quart came out with the filter.

Looking back, I wish I had taken a pic of the metal seam. Another PH3600 that I had cut open, looked rather weak there, in that the pleats were not close to the seam. Today, I was just focused on seeing any bits of gunk lifted off the engine by the EC, so I forgot to check the seam. From the pics, the pleats really don't look that close to the seam, but then again none of them had a great angle.

Beautiful photos, and nicely done. What oil went back in?

I Thank You 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍

Last edited:
you are missing some context in this thread, i'm kind of lost.
what was the goal? sludge removal?

As I said in the original post, there was some slight oil consumption and I was wondering if the piston rings were getting stuck to the point of causing the oil consumption. That is why I was using HPL EC. I was not thinking there was sludge at all, not with the maintenance records I got when I bought the car at 120K.

you are missing some context in this thread, i'm kind of lost.
what was the goal? sludge removal?

Last edited:
As I said in the original post, there was some slight oil consumption and I was wondering if the piston rings were getting stuck to the point of causing the oil consumption. That is why I was using HPL EC. I was thinking there was sludge at all, not with the maintenance records I got when I bought the car at 120K.
Anytime you use a different oil there could be some oil usage. Also the driving style could have an effect. Have you changed the PCV?

5k should be doable. That filter doesn't appear to be dirty but with the low miles that is expected. I wish there was a bottle of magic that would fix our ring sealing issues. Let me know when you find it.

Yeah, on this car changing the PCV valve had zero impact on oil consumption. That did help a bit on the Sienna, however.

As far as oil switching, I have used a new oil almost every time I've changed the oil, but on the other hand, the last two oil changes (previous to the current fill) have both been Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w20, and the second fill with PPHM oil consumption was the most I've seen on it.

Anytime you use a different oil there could be some oil usage. Also the driving style could have an effect. Have you changed the PCV?

EC is designed to act as a very mild cleaner. Consequently clean engines are not likely to produce a significant amount of deposits. Moving to their regular PCMO would more likely show results if they're to be found.

I’ve never had a car or truck that burned oil. Have had ticking lifters and a simple flush did the trick. You could probably just throw in some Rislone hear and there or do a quick flush once in a while for good measure. Doesn't look like you need an expensive cleaner or oil.
Good job staying on top of oil changes.

Yeah the 3600 has a lot of pleats, so I use that instead of the originally specced 3614, which has been cut open here and shown a couple of times with tears. But the 3600 does look good.

Moving forward I might move to the TG3600, which (according to one poster here, who cut one open) has 6 more pleats than the PH/EG3600 and then run the TG3600 for two OCIs. All depends on how long I want to run my OCIs for...

Thats a good looking orange can filter. Thanks for posting up.

Back