Fram filters I have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems that the Fram oil filter has a very bad reputation (at least it used to). All car forums across the board had a hatred for the orange stuff. But lately I am seeing on here that many folks recommend the Frams. Like, what the [censored] happened? Why the turnaround? Curious

Don

Were they actually bad in the first place? Or does their massive sales quantity over the years mean they are over-represented in complaints?

I suspect they are no worse than any other filter manufactured by a reputable company with competent engineers.

The Fram Ultra is what changed the game mostly but honestly a lot of the Fram hate was from uninformed idiots.

People think that counting pleats and measuring media length are the most important things but without knowing the holding capacity and efficiency of said media it's impossible to eye ball the quality of the media.

Also plenty of hate for the fiber board end caps, which many oem utilize, some even using no end caps at all, just weaving the media together or using adhesive to do the job.

I still don't personally use the orange cans but I do use the TG and Ultras because I consider them superior filters than most of the competitors.

They were probably never bad. It was just a meme. You can search and find plenty of references on BITOG to the "OCOD" a ways back.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Fram Ultra is what changed the game mostly but honestly a lot of the Fram hate was from uninformed idiots.

+1 Bingo. On both accounts.

I have always used them and now use the Ultra in my gassers. Never had any issues with them, never had any oil related failures either. I think they are great filters.

Originally Posted By: Dadillac
So it seems that the Fram oil filter has a very bad reputation (at least it used to). All car forums across the board had a hatred for the orange stuff. But lately I am seeing on here that many folks recommend the Frams. Like, what the [censored] happened? Why the turnaround? Curious

Don

The OCOD look like ish cut open. Seriously, who would want to use that after seeing what some of the competition put out for similar price? I used to use fram Orange and super tech and whatever else was cheap at walmart and I never suffered a problem. I am sure its the looks of them, it is for me at least. I dont have a problem with Fram, I just choose to use a different brand.

Fram branded different level/class of oil filters.

The lowest end which is the Orange can is probably ok but for that price, there are other brand with better built.
It is also depends on the applications.
I hang out in a forum for Diesel truck, in that forum, the Orange Fram has caused a few issues with some filters collapsing under service. The sign was low oil pressure and when they change the oil filter, it was fine.

The higher level Fram, Tough Guard and Ultra Guard seems to be great filters.
Ultra Guard is actually comes out to be best buy from high end filter.

I have also used Fram and many other brands of oil filters and have never once had an oil filter issue. I now stick with OEM filters. Just a preference thing. Just seemed weird that this sight recommends Fram and [censored] near every other car forum I have visited say that Fram is a devil filter. Use one and you will be replacing your engine.

Don

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

+1 Bingo. On both accounts.

A winner.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Fram branded different level/class of oil filters.

The lowest end which is the Orange can is probably ok but for that price, there are other brand with better built.
It is also depends on the applications.
I hang out in a forum for Diesel truck, in that forum, the Orange Fram has caused a few issues with some filters collapsing under service. The sign was low oil pressure and when they change the oil filter, it was fine.

The higher level Fram, Tough Guard and Ultra Guard seems to be great filters.
Ultra Guard is actually comes out to be best buy from high end filter.

Author of the above response: please advise the names of filters superior to the Orange Can which are better for the same price-----?

Was always a Fram user until I came here and was swayed (my fault) into using the Pure1I have now (about 3 years ago) seen the error of my ways and will stick with Fram. I use the Orange Can on my own cars, but TG or FU for customers cars
Steve

Fram is a somewhat lower quality filter [orange can] yet it is much better than pure oil later. Years ago late 1980s the boss gave me a stack of clients data and several cases of trans oil filters,they were $40.00 filters at the time and said don't come back until all these filters have been replaced. It was good.

If memory serves me right the original Fram sucks posts were put on the MoPar board by an ex Fram employee. Think he posted a few times on this board then went away [censored]. Ten years ago, almost everyone on here knew that Fram was nothing but [censored], but times change
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Fram is a somewhat lower quality filter [orange can] yet it is much better than pure oil later. Years ago late 1980s the boss gave me a stack of clients data and several cases of trans oil filters,they were $40.00 filters at the time and said don't come back until all these filters have been replaced. It was good.

I read this 5 times, and I still do not understand what you are saying.

The Fram orange filter is a cheap widely available filter made to the lowest cost possible.
At least until recently; I've found an even cheaper 'off brand' that seems even lower grade ($2)
I can't prove it as I don't have a filter cutter.

The OCOD was poor at filtering level, poor at holding capacity, etc...
the higher better levels of Fram are great at their quality levels.

The move to cartridge filters may change all this in the near future.
Quality is obvious in those both before use and after.

My 2¢

I guess Fram has the largest market share for oil filters?.
GM had the largest market share for automobiles.
GM is in terminal decline after years of making inferior products.
But Fram is still going strong, the conclusion I draw is they must be making a product that compares favorably to other filter products.

Claud.

I was an uninformed Fram basher. After reviewing posts from MortorKing and others on this forum, I now use Fram ToughGuard filters exclusively without hesitation or worry.

You could leave the GM stuff at cars - and please don't revisit the 80's again.
Way too many Chevy/GMC 1500's going hundreds of thousands of miles in commercial use to call them bad products ...

I just ordered another batch of Fram filters and I'm not disillusioned to the point where I'll not examine them closely for manufacturing defects ...

Originally Posted By: Claud
I guess Fram has the largest market share for oil filters?.
GM had the largest market share for automobiles.
GM is in terminal decline after years of making inferior products.
But Fram is still going strong, the conclusion I draw is they must be making a product that compares favorably to other filter products.

Claud.

Think about this, what percentage of oil filters ever get seen before or after service. Over the years I probably have ran a defective filter but never knew it. Some manufacturers hide dirty little secrets in those cans.

If Fram was that bad they would not have been selling Orange cans for so many years. Its obvious that the Orange cans are designed to meet a certain price point, and there must be a demand for filters at that price point because they sure sell a lot of them.

We must also factor in some people live where the only store that sells automotive stuff within 30 miles is a walmart, some people don't have a huge choice in filters and are certainly not going to order them by the six pack.

I have a friend with a 07 Civic with 365k on it that has only had oil changes done by the dealer, I believe Honda basically uses an Orange Can with a better ADBV? So Orange cans cant be too bad....

Now I wonder if its a false economy, Before reading stuff on this site I would not have considered running an oil filter for more than one OCI, but now I will likely run Fram Ultras or the equivalent and change them every 10-15k miles or so on our van. In the end by doing this I will actually save money, help the environment and have better filtration on the engine oil.

On My Scion it gets short tripped a lot in the winter so Its hard to say what Ill do on it. I put an orange can on it last oil change, but I plan on it only being on there for 2k miles. Im going to do a few short OCIs to clean it up some.

P.S. I have no allegiance to Fram, I use their products a lot with one disappointment (see my post on the TG3614) but nothing I have lost sleep over. I will say this, the fact that Motorking is on here really impresses me, He seems to care and take interest in complaints and concerns.

So many large companies these days are so off limits to the consumer you start to wonder if anyone actually works there at all or if everyone is a robot....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back