FRAM CORE 9688, 5,000 Miles CUT OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... Nice even and many pleats. ...
Yes, but not so many the inside creases are packed too tightly against each other. That happens with uneven spacing with a number of pleats that might otherwise be fine.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
... I completely understand ‘typical’ cardboard is not the actual material but I think we can agree that an engineered pulp product regardless of the treatment can be called ‘cardboard’ for the sake of argument....

By that logic, any cellulose media is "cardboard".
Why would anyone want a filter with metal end caps and super thin cardboard for the filter media?

I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He feels that the filter was in bypass for some time to cause this. This will typically happen when switching from a low efficiency oil filter to a high efficiency filter. It is obvious there was high differential pressure once the filter was loaded. The Core filter is 95.7% efficient at 20 microns. It did its job, trapping and holding dirt from the engine.

Thanks for the response, Motorking. Your chief engineer believes the high efficiency oil filter loaded up and went into bypass because it was catching all the junk and contamination from the oil. If the same oil filter were to be used again, what could be done to avoid this? Change the oil filter before it got to this point? Instead of 5,000 miles, change it at 3,000, for example, or 3,500-4,000 miles?

After running the high efficiency oil filter for a couple of oil changes, the engine should be cleaner, correct? Then, the filter be able to be used for 5,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back