Fractured Connecting Rods

Nothing wrong with powdered metal rods, Many LSx engines with stock Gen IV rods putting down 800+ horsepower while handling 20 psi of boost, Try that with a stock small block Chevy forged rod.
Awesome, someone better call John Force's team and let them in on this secret. I bet the F1 guys would be interested as well.

Awesome, someone better call John Force's team and let them in on this secret. I bet the F1 guys would be interested as well.
Now you’re just being silly. My old BMW soldiered on for many miles as do millions of other passenger engines.

Let’s just make up stuff and inject it into the argument to try to bolster a failing premise for the topic at hand.

That’s supposed to funny - or is there a point to insulting someone with 10x your mechanical knowledge …

Corvette has been using fractured rods in their engines for a few years. Over the road Diesel engines use them. Heck, even the 2.7 Ecoboost uses them.

What is the advantage of such rods?

The actual performance advantage I can think of is that the uniquely matching cap/rod surface that is created actually locks back together when the rod bolts are torqued down, pretty much eliminating any chance of the caps "walking" unless a rod bolt stretches to the point of failure.

But I suspect the real reason is that its the most practical way to mass produce powdered-metal connecting rods, which are relatively light and strong and easy to produce, for most non-extreme performance applications.

Back