How to choose a stock connecting rod for gm tbi 350?

I have a gm tbi 350 truck engine that spun a bearing. I have a new crankshaft for it but I need one connecting rod. I believe its a pm rod. Do I have to replace it with a pm rod? Do I have to weigh other rods to get a rod thats the same weight. If anyone here knows what I need and wants to sell me a rod that would be great.

If you have money to burn get a new 3.75" stroke crank with 2.45" mains and aftermarket pistons to use 5.7" length rods.
The 400 SBC used shorter rods than other SBC's for clearance reasons, which a little block grinding will take care of.

Stock engine? If so low rpm operation will never need a “balanced” assembly. Get a stock 350 replacement rod. Good to go.

I would take it and another rod/ piston to a machine shop so they can match it and balance it as close as possible to the other one.
If you have money to burn get a new 3.75" stroke crank with 2.45" mains and aftermarket pistons to use 5.7" length rods.
The 400 SBC used shorter rods than other SBC's for clearance reasons, which a little block grinding will take care of.
no money to burn. It was a free engine that is in very nice shape other than the spun bearing. also has all the pre cast and tapped provisions for a factory roller cam

You should match the weight of the other rods.
Could be another brand as long as the weight is the same.
What was the cause of the spun bearing?

Sure they're PM Rods? Not a whole lot of factory TBI 350's had PM Rods, Later Gen II LT1's & Gen I L31 did.

There was also Hypereutectic & Cast Pistons used, Start mixing & matching PM with Forged rods & different weight pistons....You can end up with some vibes even at lower RPM.

I also highly doubt you need just one rod if it spun a bearing....Usually need 2 or at least have the mating rod that was on the same Pin checked.

I keep a couple Gen II LT1's around for the rotating assemblies to repair Gen I Vortec L31's.....It's getting harder & harder to find good used L31's!

can i just buy a rod from
Sure they're PM Rods? Not a whole lot of factory TBI 350's had PM Rods, Later Gen II LT1's & Gen I L31 did.

There was also Hypereutectic & Cast Pistons used, Start mixing & matching PM with Forged rods & different weight pistons....You can end up with some vibes even at lower RPM.

I also highly doubt you need just one rod if it spun a bearing....Usually need 2 or at least have the mating rod that was on the same Pin checked.

I keep a couple Gen II LT1's around for the rotating assemblies to repair Gen I Vortec L31's.....It's getting harder & harder to find good used L31's!
no im not certain its pm. Its just something i read off the internet. When i look on rockauto it only lists a forged rod to buy so maybe its forged? Im going to reuse all the pistons so as long as i get the same rod i should be good right? Can i weight and match a new rod to an old rod myself? Also what would i look for on the mating rod that would indicate its bad?

Pictures speak a thousand words. For it to have PM rods....It would have to be at the very end of TBI/L05 production, A replacement/crate engine, Or has a later rotating assembly/rods.

Pictures speak a thousand words. For it to have PM rods....It would have to be at the very end of TBI/L05 production, A replacement/crate engine, Or has a later rotating assembly/rods.
Ok. If i post up a picture of the rod could you identify the type?

ato1MuE.jpg

Looks like i have pm rods. Does anyone have a stock one i could buy or can point me where to get one reasonably priced.
imagejpeg_2.jpeg

That's the basis for the legendary "Stroker" - a 350 block bored 0.030" over to 4.030", and the crank from a 400 to take the stroke from 3.48" up to 3.75", for a displacement of 383 c.i. (No relationship to Chrysler's big block 383.)

Go to Amazon and search:

Powdered Metal Vortec Connecting Rod compatible with 1996-2003 GM 5.0L 305 & 5.7L 350​

Should come up with a B&P reconditioned rod p.n. 226 for less than $50.

Back