Forgive me BITOG for I have sinned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RamFan
Jeeze, they're pushing BG on a car with 15k on the clock? That Motorcraft and Ford engineering must be real quality for their own dealership not to have faith
wink.gif

They've got all that here, too, last time I was at a Ford dealership. The Nissan/Infiniti guys had it, too. I don't know how hard any of those guys push it, since I haven't had oil changes done by them.

OP, to remedy your sin, drive your car up on ramps in the snow. Lay down on your snowy driveway in your street clothes. Inspect the dealer's work.

You must do this. Pull the plug and quickly put on a new crush washer. No way did they use a new one. I'd pull the filter too and take a good look to make sure they got the old O-ring off, then reinstall the filter. Failure to do this might result in total engine failure because of oil loss.

In fact, I'd drain what they put in and refill with your own stash, just to make sure your car has the right oil in it.

This is the only way you will be able to redeem yourself, OP.

Scott

Thats standard dealership operations. Upsells are done whenever possible. Service writers paychecks depend on the upsells. Nearly all dealerships have BG or MOC products for any kind of service imagined. Reasons they do it are that the fluids cost the dealer about a 1/3 of the price it sells for. With modern cars having longer and less items on the maintenance schedules , dealers have to find ways to generate income. For the dealers gone are the days of timing belts , legit 30k,60k services. Last KIA dealership I wrenched at had a "30k" package that included oil change, tire rotate and balance and coolant drain and fill and a slew of MOC garbage additives. I spoke to the service manager and told him it was pointless to drain long life coolant at that mileage, just got a shrug and told to do it. Dealerships are getting desperate for any non-warranty work and intelligent technicians to perform work. The OP's car was most likely worked on by an hourly lube tech , trying to move up or looking desperately find another line of work.

Well, I can't say I've changed the oil in the snow but I've laid on cold concrete in the teens to do it. It's not pleasant. In fact, I had a pair of insulated coveralls just for working in the cold. They were great.

So I understand you getting it changed by someone else. Hopefully you can get the plug and filter off the next time you do it.

I like to be unencumbered whilst car crawling. I learned to use a piece of plywood cardboard, or, a piece of woolen rug. All 3 in snow. As for clothes, Loose fitting layers. One winter night, at the shipyard, I totalled up how many pockets I was wearing, 32 IIRC. I picked the warmest day in the week to change the oil. recently. On a rug
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by redhat
Forgive me BITOG for I have sinned.

I write to you from the dealer service department. Service...? Oil change for the Taurus -- it was due. We are getting 3-4 inches of snow per hour. It has been cold, wet and snowy lately and not having a garage can be the pits.

Alas, they're using a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil.

There was a real hard sell of BG products oil additive that'll cover everything under the sun just as long as that magical excelsior is in the crank. With a stern fact I said "No!".

Early change on a new vehicle --
thumbsup2.gif

As for non-drivers out tonight....
39.gif

Well, not going to lie, I just handed over the Mobil 1 and a deco filter at the deco filter to the dealership and let them go at it..

Been crazy busy lately...

Even with an insulated garage, that I can heat in a pinch w/ a few hours notice, I hate doing car work this time of year. Had to suck it up to put the Winter tires on the other week, at the same time checked/cleaned/lubed all 4 brakes on the Toyota. In theory I was also supposed to bleed the brakes, but that'll wait for a warm day.

Hats off to the guys that do this for a living!

Hey, there's no shame in having someone else do it once in a while. There is actually a decent quick lube near my parent's place and I went there since my elbow was broken the week I needed an oil change. This was back in 2011.

Last edited:
It was a nice experience. I had a cup of coffee with powdered creamer and sugar -- it was hot and free; and had a Tim Hortons Boston Cream donut. I browsed the web and typed to you folks from one of the three Acer Chromebox AIOs they had for customer use.

In and out in 15. No dents or dings on the car. I'll check the oil level this afternoon when I retreat for lunch. All in all, worth it. When I compare oil change shops, I would prefer this method to say a Firestone, Valvoline oil change -- I am getting my favorite oil and filter (Motorcraft).

Sounds like you are happy with it redhat. I had an F-150 4x4 Lariat with 225,000 miles and the dealership used OEM oil and filter until it had 185 rounds. When I bought it I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and she is still running smooth 2 1/2 years after I sold it.

Been there, except I went to jiffy screw. 7qts of full synthetic for my Durango at the time and that was the last time I ever took it in for an oil change. $110 for a friggin oil change...
33.gif

There was a real hard sell of BG products oil additive that'll cover everything under the sun just as long as that magical excelsior is in the crank. With a stern fact I said "No!".

Two pages in this thread and I'm still trying to figure out what "BG" means.
Is it that hard to type out the two words?
OMG!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Two pages in this thread and I'm still trying to figure out what "BG" means.
Is it that hard to type out the two words?
OMG!

https://www.bgprod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back