Ford - Buy back or replacement (new vehicle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately dealer will only offer to repair damage, nothing more.

They should your swap van for another if they want to do the right thing.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Update:
Ford - Vehicle is not authorized for buy back per state lemon law.
Contact dealer to repair vehicle.
I asked - what about the diminished value of vehicle?
No answer. I asked for written statement for denial of repurchase, she said they don't do such. What the

Then offered to email me, wow, talk about deceptive practices.

Anyway, kinda [censored] right now. Not sure why, I did not expect Ford to step up to the plate.

Thinking about next steps,

That term and any settlement from such only exist on BITOG and not the REAL WORLD........

Dealership is off the hook as long as they make a 'good faith' effort to repair the van.

Either the customer agrees.... or the customer says no and dealership washes their hands of this mess.

Many TV news stations have a consumer advocate that goes after shady businesses and crooks. Maybe they can help you. In south FL they have Help Me Howard, a lawyer working for free to resolve big problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Update:
No answer. I asked for written statement for denial of repurchase, she said they don't do such. What the

Anyway, kinda [censored] right now. Not sure why, I did not expect Ford to step up to the plate.

That term and any settlement from such only exist on BITOG and not the REAL WORLD........

Yep, you got that right. Well, not exactly, it is used in all automobile forums. Never heard of anybody actually getting it. The insurance industry actually has a formula for calculating this that pretty much makes it come out to zero in all cases.

I would just accept the free repair at this stage and make sure to never purchase another vehicle by this process again. It would be great if it could be PDR, much less likely to cause problems later. The next step, per purchase agreement, is probably arbitration, which usually goes poorly for the buyer, especially if the manufacturer is offering free repair.

Did the lawyer not agree that this should be a BREACH OF CONTRACT case and not lemon law?

Lemon law doesn't apply. You bought a new van, they sold you one with hail damage - that is not "new". I don't care if your sales contract said "as is" (unless they took you out there with a ladder to show you the damage prior to signing), a jury will side with you.
New car = new car, not a hail-damaged one.

IMO, this is your angle.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Update:

Yep, you got that right. Well, not exactly, it is used in all automobile forums. Never heard of anybody actually getting it. The insurance industry actually has a formula for calculating this that pretty much makes it come out to zero in all cases.

I would just accept the free repair at this stage and make sure to never purchase another vehicle by this process again. It would be great if it could be PDR, much less likely to cause problems later. The next step, per purchase agreement, is probably arbitration, which usually goes poorly for the buyer, especially if the manufacturer is offering free repair.

Unfortunately you are correct, but one must push boundaries.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Unfortunately dealer will only offer to repair damage, nothing more.

They should your swap van for another if they want to do the right thing.

yeah, they refuse to even talk about the "dimished value".

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Did the lawyer not agree that this should be a BREACH OF CONTRACT case and not lemon law?

Lemon law doesn't apply. You bought a new van, they sold you one with hail damage - that is not "new". I don't care if your sales contract said "as is" (unless they took you out there with a ladder to show you the damage prior to signing), a jury will side with you.
New car = new car, not a hail-damaged one.

IMO, this is your angle.

I like it, I will mention it to my atty when I get back in town.

I love these threads when guys tell the OP to hire an attorney (at $200.00 to $400.00) an hour. This is the last thing anybody should do---for obvious reasons.

A satisfactory solution should try to be negotiated first. It doesn't take long for an expense of an attorney to eat up a satisfactory (financial) solution. Then the attorney is the only one that wins!

Once he accepted delivery of van, had it in his name (tag / registration) and put miles on it, the van belongs to him.

Yeah, just like when the guy on BITOG with the new WRX bought in another state and local dealership in his area didn't want to repair it correctly... lots of people on BITOG said to get a lawyer as if its very easy and dealership will immediately do the right thing.

WRONG.

People on BITOG said the dealership should wave 3 months of car payments and reimburse him for non use of his new WRX. The real world doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
People on BITOG said the dealership should wave 3 months of car payments and reimburse him for non use of his new WRX. The real world doesn't work like that.

The owner of the WRX wanted an extended warranty on the car. Which is what he received in the end.

In case anyone forgot, in this thread the OP purchased a 50k van.

I remember ram_man on here bought a base Focus mt. He had issues with it and was able to get Ford to buy it back from him. I think you just have to persistent and bother them everyday about it. I'd also climb the chain of command. That way you're not going in circles with the rep over and over.

Last edited:
I love these threads when guys tell the OP to hire an attorney (at $200.00 to $400.00) an hour. This is the last thing anybody should do---for obvious reasons.

A satisfactory solution should try to be negotiated first. It doesn't take long for an expense of an attorney to eat up a satisfactory (financial) solution. Then the attorney is the only one that wins!

Usually for lemon law cars, attorneys that specialize in it are free, if they win, the manufacturer usually pays them (depending on state). They'll only take cases where they think they can win. On the other hand, just hiring a regular attorney at an hourly rate that isn't familiar with lemon laws probably isn't worth it. As was clear in this case, it didn't even apply. He also has the bad luck of being in a state with really bad consumer protection laws.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Usually for lemon law cars, attorneys that specialize in it are free, if they win, the manufacturer usually pays them (depending on state). They'll only take cases where they think they can win. On the other hand, just hiring a regular attorney at an hourly rate that isn't familiar with lemon laws probably isn't worth it. As was clear in this case, it didn't even apply. He also has the bad luck of being in a state with really bad consumer protection laws.

And if they don't.....guess what? Who's paying the bill? Attorneys don't have complete control over the situation. They don't always win cases they THINK THEY CAN WIN.

And if they don't.....guess what? Who's paying the bill? Attorneys don't have complete control over the situation. They don't always win cases they THINK THEY CAN WIN.

I don't think you realize this, but it's call contingency. They only get paid if they win the case. If they don't win, they get nothing. That means they have an incentive to only take cases that they think they can win. Sure they might not win 100% of the time, but if it's 70-80%, the contingency fee is enough to cover their losses on ones they don't win. If they take on too many bad ones, then they'd go out of business.

Is this for the dings on the roof? How is that grounds for a buy back? Any competent paint less dent repair shop should have the roof looking brand spanking new.
And I would get documentation that the roof was repaired without the need for bondo and new paint so that should take care of the diminished value.

Last edited:
Once he accepted delivery of van, had it in his name (tag / registration) and put miles on it, the van belongs to him.

Yeah, just like when the guy on BITOG with the new WRX bought in another state and local dealership in his area didn't want to repair it correctly... lots of people on BITOG said to get a lawyer as if its very easy and dealership will immediately do the right thing.

WRONG.

Not when you get brushed off and reply with, "THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" When you have a lemon, you need a lawyer.

I don't think you realize this, but it's call contingency. They only get paid if they win the case. If they don't win, they get nothing. That means they have an incentive to only take cases that they think they can win. Sure they might not win 100% of the time, but if it's 70-80%, the contingency fee is enough to cover their losses on ones they don't win. If they take on too many bad ones, then they'd go out of business.

Fewer and fewer lawyers take cases this way anymore. It's a rare situation in an automobile lemon law case. Injury lawyers yes....not lemon laws.

Last edited:
Fewer and fewer lawyers take cases this way anymore. It's a rare situation in an automobile lemon law case. Injury lawyers yes....not lemon laws.

Like I said, it depends on the state. Some states make the automaker pay the attorney fee. I think the OP is out of luck because his state has weak consumer protection laws and his case doesn't really fall under the lemon law so no lawyer would take the case after listening to it.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Is this for the dings on the roof? How is that grounds for a buy back? Any competent paint less dent repair shop should have the roof looking brand spanking new.
And I would get documentation that the roof was repaired without the need for bondo and new paint so that should take care of the diminished value.

So you when you go out to buy a brand new vehicle, it is ok to expect it to be riddled with hail damage?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

WRONG.

Not when you get brushed off and reply with, "THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" When you have a lemon, you need a lawyer.

Brushed off would be too nice to describe what Ford pulled out of their u know what.
I kept asking "on what basis are you denying my request". She would not tell me any and said Ford can't tell me.

Kept putting words in my mouth, kept taking in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back