For short trips + 5k OCI's, What to look for in a filter?

2022 Tacoma V6
Valoline 5W30 + OEM Filters
5k OCI's, short trips daily. Max is 20 miles stop and go per day.

Should I prioritize the best filtration? IE: using Fram Ultras.
Or should I use fully synthetic filters? IE: Purolator Boss

Just curious on what this community thinks.

2022 Tacoma V6
Valoline 5W30 + OEM Filters
5k OCI's, short trips daily. Max is 20 miles stop and go per day.

Should I prioritize the best filtration? IE: using Fram Ultras.
Or should I use fully synthetic filters? IE: Purolator Boss

Just curious on what this community thinks.

Pic "C" and win at 5k. Ultra is overkill IMO. If you want to stick with Fram, EG is fine and cheap but OEM would be a great choice as well. You're addressing the short tripping with the 5k OCI; the filter will go along for the ride no problem.

Fram Extra Gaurd. It's 95% at 20um, has glass enhanced cellulose, (may) have silicone ADBV, and way more holding capacity than you'd need.
Or, the ST equivilant would work well also.

Those 1GR engines don't need anything special to last hundreds of thousands of miles.

There is zero reason to use a super-duper filter for 5k mile OCIs.

Pic "C" and win at 5k. Ultra is overkill IMO. If you want to stick with Fram, EG is fine and cheap but OEM would be a great choice as well. You're addressing the short tripping with the 5k OCI; the filter will go along for the ride no problem.
Fram Extra Gaurd. It's 95% at 20um, has glass enhanced cellulose, (may) have silicone ADBV, and way more holding capacity than you'd need.
Or, the ST equivilant would work well also.

Those 1GR engines don't need anything special to last hundreds of thousands of miles.

There is zero reason to use a super-duper filter for 5k mile OCIs.

Basically what I was thinking. Sticking with OEM after this change, since I already bought the Fram Ultra.

Your doing with your vehicle, what it was meant to do. Where you drive would be more of a concern , than what filter to use. If you drive more in town, pretty much any filter will do the job. If you like in an area where you drive thru big dust storms, your air and oil filters should be changed more often. With millions of vehicles on the road, you would be wasting your time trying to out think the makers of your vehicle.,,,

Your doing with your vehicle, what it was meant to do. Where you drive would be more of a concern , than what filter to use. If you drive more in town, pretty much any filter will do the job. If you like in an area where you drive thru big dust storms, your air and oil filters should be changed more often. With millions of vehicles on the road, you would be wasting your time trying to out think the makers of your vehicle.,,,

I figured this going into asking this question. But this is BITOG after all, so I was curious to see what the community said.

Thanks for all the help.

I use the ultra for 5K oil changes because I still want 20um. Its about the same price as the OEM ones for the vehicle I use it on.

I will likely switch to the Fram Tough Gard once I use up the ones I already have because its also 20um - but it is fiber end caps and single layer media - so I had debated that - decided it didn't much matter in my case but its only a $1.50 cheaper so?

Either you want 20um or you don't.

OEM filters all seem pretty poor to me - but build quality is excellent - so it depends on your priorities.

Just go to WalMart and get a extra guard Fram filter install it and thats that....sleep well....

I use the ultra for 5K oil changes because I still want 20um. Its about the same price as the OEM ones for the vehicle I use it on.

I will likely switch to the Fram Tough Gard once I use up the ones I already have because its also 20um - but it is fiber end caps and single layer media - so I had debated that - decided it didn't much matter in my case but its only a $1.50 cheaper so?

Either you want 20um or you don't.
You have an incomplete understanding of filtration.

"um" is a size, but does not imply any measure of efficiency at that size.
Nearly ANY filter is a "20um" filter. It's just a question of how good is it a catching stuff at that 20u size?

The XG is 99%+ at 20um.
The TG is 99% at 20um.
The EG is 95% at 20um.
These are ALL well more than capable of doing the job the OP has asked about.

There is also the concept of capacity; how much particulate can the filter hold trapped in the media before it would likely end up in BP?
Again, all three of those filters are well more than capable for the intended OCI; way more than the likely load it would see in 5k miles. Even the EG is now rated at 10k miles (assuming a "normal" operational load of contamination).

Given that the 1GR engine is not know to be a heavy contamination risk, and the OCIs are intended to be 5k miles, well just about any decent filter is going to do the job well. Buying "more" filter than is required isn't cheap insurance; it's waste.

You have an incomplete understanding of filtration.

"um" is a size, but does not imply any measure of efficiency at that size.
Nearly ANY filter is a "20um" filter. It's just a question of how good is it a catching stuff at that 20u size?

The XG is 99%+ at 20um.
The TG is 99% at 20um.
The EG is 95% at 20um.
These are ALL well more than capable of doing the job the OP has asked about.

There is also the concept of capacity; how much particulate can the filter hold trapped in the media before it would likely end up in BP?
Again, all three of those filters are well more than capable for the intended OCI; way more than the likely load it would see in 5k miles. Even the EG is now rated at 10k miles (assuming a "normal" operational load of contamination).

Given that the 1GR engine is not know to be a heavy contamination risk, and the OCIs are intended to be 5k miles, well just about any decent filter is going to do the job well. Buying "more" filter than is required isn't cheap insurance; it's waste.
If I Remove 99% of 20um particles per pass, on a 5000 OCI

vs

Removing 99% of 20um particles per pass, on a 20,000 OCI

I am still removing 99% of 20um particles per pass. The only difference is how much money I spend on filters over time. The OCI isn't really an input into the equation.

I realize there is an argument that efficiency increases with loading - so that is likely real. But if I already have decided on 5000 OCI then its sort of irrelevant.

If you want to argue that removing that extra 4% of 20um particles is meaningless in the real world of engine life I wouldn't disagree with that too much either.

I suppose you could argue since your changing the oil so often anyway, that your removing all particles from the oil regularly anyway - so 99%@20um isn't needed. Perhaps this is what your saying?

But if you have decided you want the highest level of small particles removed as possible with a readily available filter, the OCI isn't really an input into the decision? In my mind at least. Maybe I am wrong?

To some degree you are correct. However, there is a loading factor where the efficiency actually starts to drop back off. I believe Zee has the specific graph on that.

I'm a "results driven" guy. The inputs are important, but they cannot assure any specific result. To know what actually happens, you gotta collect data on the outputs where it matters; in terms of wear. To get a clear, credible understanding, it takes a lot of time and money. Most of us simply won't put that kind of effort into it.

I think most of us "normal" BITOGers would agree that anything 95% or better at 20um, used within the intended filter maker statement FCI, is going to produce a reasonably clean sump such that the wear rates are essentially indistinguishable, given other things being equal. Because the OP is going to O/FCI at 5k miles, and it's a Toyota 1GE engine, it's just unlikely to matter what he uses. A Fram Ultra isn't going appreciably show any "better" wear performance or cleanliness over the EG in a 5k mile O/FCI in this application.

Last edited:
For my LS3, I use the gold filters from GM. If I knew more about filters, I may try to upgrade, but since they’re so dependent on flow rates, I leave well enough alone. 🤷‍♂️

I realize there is an argument that efficiency increases with loading - so that is likely real.
That is not real ... been shown may times in this forum that oil filters typically get less efficient as they load up because the higher delta-p can dislodge already captured debris and send it down stream with hurts efficiency. Some filters are better at holding debris than others as the delta=p increases.

The bottom line is an oil filter that has a higher ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating is much better and holding already captured debris as it loads up.

Last edited:
Back