For fun- If you could turn back time--

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't go back ... I don't want to go through that all over again. I'll be fortunate to make it through from my age right now.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing. If one thing would have changed, none of the rest would have happened the way it did.
I retired(actually transferred to Fleet Reserve
smile.gif
) from the Navy in 2007, with 24 years, 10 days. Went to work for Union Pacific Railroad. The Denver Burnham shop closed down last year. I could have followed my job to North Platte, NE. I like it too much here. Tired of moving.
Now, I am back in school, majoring in History, with a Teaching Licensure in Secondary Education. Complete change of pace. Loving every minute of it, so far.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If your employer offers a retirement plan (hopefully with some matching), put some money in it regularly even if it is a small amount. My father told me that stocks were a shell game to avoid after he lost money trying to play the market in the '70s, but that was awful advice and it pains me to think of how much even small investments I could have made when I started working 30 years ago would be worth now.
Good luck!

Found this S&P500 calculator. If you had invested 10k 30 years ago, it'd be worth around $140,000 today. If you did that 40 years ago, it'd be worth $776k.

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/ If you had given Warren Buffett $1,000 fifty years ago, you would be a multimillionaire.Instead, I spent my thousand on a pos 66 Dodge Dart I special ordered. *^%#@^%^%#

IDK if anyone mentioned finding a mentor... I still wish to find one, but if there was a way to find a mentor straight out of HS, that would have been awesome. Probably something I could have found via the Military.

I would invent and patent the pet rock, the George Foreman grill, and the internet before Al Gore.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I would invent and patent the pet rock, the George Foreman grill, and the internet before Al Gore.
smile.gif

Wasn't that Loogle or something like that from hot tub time machine? Anyway, the obvious one would be to remember the winning lottery ticket numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back