For fun- If you could turn back time--

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have made a decent career out of the military instead of wasting it like I did.

I also would have made better choices in female companionship.

Among other things, I would have held onto those 200 shares of Apple that I bought in 1996 or 97 for $17 a share....with splits they'd be worth over a million now...I also wish I learned a trade like HVAC or plumbing...

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Great Scott!

I'm afraid it's pointless though to go back. If you had taken a different route, you would still be sitting here today, reading this thread and saying you would do something different. Human nature.

Yeah, I think time travel is basically impossible. It's a space-time thing, how much energy does it take to turn time back in the entire universe? I think Stephen Hawking had a party once for time travelers, no one showed up. He advertised the party after it was over.

If I could do it again, retaining what I know now? Either trade school or military. The army and airforce both courted me relentlessly for a few months... But back then I was the angry young [censored] the govt, and their gun toting lackeys" type, that "knew better" than any of the adults around me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: THafeez
21 here. Any advice for someone my age?

Best advice I can give would be to care for your health and body like it was a rare collectable auto. The better you treat it now, the less chance of pain and physical anguish you'll have in the future. And the single most important part of your body to care for? Your back!

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a few things I would have done.

1) I would start a little website called Ebay

2) I would start a little website called Amazon

3) I would start a website called Google

In my spare time I would open up coffee shops all over the US and charge crazy money for coffee. I would also start several energy drink companies..and last but not least put a little gear dohicky on every parts counter and sell my white bottle heavy oil additive.

It would be nice to also stop 9/11 while i was at it.

amen to that..................

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Best advice I can give would be to care for your health and body like it was a rare collectable auto. The better you treat it now, the less chance of pain and physical anguish you'll have in the future. And the single most important part of your body to care for? Your back!

Advice: I forgot about this one..a buddy of mine said to come with me and I will get u on at the "railroad"...I say no thanks, He retired as train engineer moving stuff locally in the yard mostly, his retirement was income 5000 a month,,you might try filling out an app, just saying.

Last edited:

Save part of your income. If you don't start til your 30 or 40, you'd have to save a lot more to hit the same number at 65 than if you had started at 21. The basic theme of most replies is that they'd have a lot more money if they did things differently in the past.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Save part of your income. If you don't start til your 30 or 40, you'd have to save a lot more to hit the same number at 65 than if you had started at 21. The basic theme of most replies is that they'd have a lot more money if they did things differently in the past.

Another vote for ^This. Start putting away at least 10% and even better 20% in a retirement acccount. You will thank us later for not having to scrape to save after 30...or 40 or worse. Reminds me of the Pink Floyd lyrics:

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

Start early. And take care of yourself now to avoid health issues later.

ZOOM OUT!

What I mean by that is look at things in your life framed in the "biggest picture" you possibly can. At age 21 some things that appear to be gigantic right now will be minimized (and possibly even forgotten) in time. In just 20 years, your life will be incredibly different in many ways from what it is now. The well known advice of "don't sweat the small stuff" is right on!

Sacrifice at all costs to save money. Deny yourself and any instant gratification you may be told you deserve. Listen to people who are older, and actually take the advice given. Your health is your first wealth, remember that.

One last thing, minor surgery is something they do to other people.

Enjoy the physical things in life, there will come a time way too soon when you will likely get sore and tired from things that used to just be fun.
Work hard with an eye to the future, but play hard, too...stay out with friends until 5am, but not every night.
Don't be afraid to leave a job that just isn't working for you, but have something else lined up before you go. Periods of unemployment raise questions for prospective employers and your bargaining power is cut dramatically if you aren't working.
If your employer offers a retirement plan (hopefully with some matching), put some money in it regularly even if it is a small amount. My father told me that stocks were a shell game to avoid after he lost money trying to play the market in the '70s, but that was awful advice and it pains me to think of how much even small investments I could have made when I started working 30 years ago would be worth now.
Don't be afraid to open up to others due to fear of being hurt, you're going to get hurt no matter what but the rewards from forging bonds with the right people can be immense.
Pursue education on an ongoing basis, one of the worst mistakes I made was abandoning a Master's I was halfway through when a demanding job and a baby got in the way simultaneously. Honestly, I should have started on it earlier and been done before my daughter came along. This isn't limited to university training, BTW, nothing wrong with learning a good trade and keeping up on it.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Although money is not the most important thing in life.... it's definitely needed to have a secure future, low stress and stability. Focus on education, training and building a success career.

It's important in life to know who you are..... but it's even more important to know who you're not.
Be yourself and don't give a [censored] what people say / think about you.

Stay away from fake phony people, they are cancerous poison.

When you are 18 and looking ahead, 20 years seems like a lifetime. I've struggled in life, but I have a good marriage, good children and while I am not getting rich, I'm getting by o.k. That being said, if I had know at 18 how quickly 20 years goes by, I would have joined and retired from the military. Great retirement and great benefits. A guy can retire at a young enough age and have time to start a second career. I would have definitely put a lot more thought into my future rather than living in the now.

Last edited:

Work smarter, not harder. Focus on where you want to be, not where you are. Work hard on building a secure future. When you are older, you won't have the energy or the desire to work your butt off. So, do that now while you are young and able. Invest in your retirement. It's o.k. to want nice things, but know the difference between wants and needs. Paying interest on a depreciating asset like a new automobile is giving your money away. An automobile is an appliance, not a status symbol. If you save enough money, you won't have to be concerned about owning a used automobile that breaks down. You will have the funds to repair it or replace it. If you have enough cash, you don't need a good FICO score and you don't need credit. As much as humanly possible, don't work for your money, let your money work for you.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If your employer offers a retirement plan (hopefully with some matching), put some money in it regularly even if it is a small amount. My father told me that stocks were a shell game to avoid after he lost money trying to play the market in the '70s, but that was awful advice and it pains me to think of how much even small investments I could have made when I started working 30 years ago would be worth now.
Good luck!

Found this S&P500 calculator. If you had invested 10k 30 years ago, it'd be worth around $140,000 today. If you did that 40 years ago, it'd be worth $776k.

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

Originally Posted By: otis24
THafeez said:

I'm only 30 and I say find a savings account and save %5 ASAP. $5 here, $10 there, do that ASAP. Between 28-29, I saved $2000 and didn't miss a dime doing so. What I did was "shave" every pay check. Say I got $554... well I would "shave" down to the nearest $20 increment... so I would have saved $14. $540 went to bills or whatever. Occasionally I'd pay myself an extra "bonus"

$2000 isn't a lot of money, but it was cool to see how quick my savings added up.

Now I am in an entirely different (worse) financial situation that I am working on getting out of.

If you can do the military; DO IT! Especially if you don't know what you want to do just yet. Having necessities taken care of and a few bucks to save is a great way to start.

TAKE CARE of your health! I had a lot of drunken fun nights, but hangovers get old QUICK!

I wouldn't change much. Maybe avoid a few injuries along the way. I guess the biggest thing would be to stay in better touch with family and friends who are no longer here.

I would have kept my E24 M6 and bought the Jensen Interceptor I found for sale for $7,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back