"Food Grade Lubricants" Please explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess: Oils used in food production machinery ... and im out on a limb here ... they are not toxic if they get on the food to packaged and later consumed?

Check the MSDS sheets on whatever brand you are looking at,,,,Lubriplate rules the food grade oils,greases etc with out a question....BL

Lubes that can contact food have to be "food Grade"
Non toxic and tastless

white mineral oil, PAO, PIB are a few of the base oils used.
bruce

Food grade lubes are non toxic. They aren't digestible...they pass right though. because of the limited number of additives available, they don't lube as well as regular lubes.

Ken

We use white mineral oil in my water districts oil lubed deep wells. We have to buy it from shell in Arizona. Seems nobody in So. Cal. carries it

Mitch try Norman Fox co they have it or did rums about ?? 6-7.00 gallon. In So cal city of industry maybe. Or look for Citgo jobber oil.

bruce

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:
We use white mineral oil in my water districts oil lubed deep wells. We have to buy it from shell in Arizona. Seems nobody in So. Cal. carries it

You can use any food grade lube oil that meets the specs for the bearings. Check any local lubes distributor...Schaeffer may offer the best food grade oil.

Ken

There are a lot out there, you can look up the NSF listing for brands listed. It is basically a group II or better with non toxic additives. In Bolivia I sell a lot of ISO 15 for soybean oil extraction where no additives are used, and some 32, 46, and 100 VG for sewing bags of sugar and flower, air compressors at Coke, and a few other uses like gear boxes over mixing tanks. Also a drip-resistant (tacky) ISO 150 for overhead rails in meat plants and chains in heat shrink packaging equipment.

Chevron also sells a pretty complete line, and should be available almost everywhere. Look for their FM oils and greases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back