Folks with LSD's - Which Gear Lube Do You Use?

1) C4 Corvette (clutch-type LSD, Dana 44)
2) Amsoil severe gear 75W90 (has LS additive)
3) Added 1/2 dose of friction modifier, maybe unnecessary. No chatter.

Folks with clutch-based LSD's - I am interesting in the following info:

1) What is your vehicle?
2) What gear lube do you use?
3) If the gear lube was pre-blended with friction modifier, did you have to add additional additive?

Thanks!
1.) 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
2.) a. Lucus Heavy Duty High Performance 80W-90 for limited slip diff.
b. AC Delco Synthetic Axle Lube 75W-90 GL-5 WITH AC Delco Limited Slip Additive # 10-4003
3. a. Chatter with the Lucus
b. Smooth and quiet with the AC Delco and additive.

Folks with clutch-based LSD's - I am interesting in the following info:

1) What is your vehicle?
2) What gear lube do you use?
3) If the gear lube was pre-blended with friction modifier, did you have to add additional additive?

Thanks!
Had a 98 f150...
Lucas 75w-140
Ford motorcraft friction modifier.

My 1988 Toyota Supra has had Redline in the differential since I discovered it over 20 years ago. It takes 1.5 quarts, so for many years I ran 1qt of 75W90NS and 0.5qt of 75W90 (with slip additive already in). In general, I was never happy with the torque bias, but lived with it. It was always quiet, but did not have much torque bias.

Years ago I rebuilt the differential, discovering that Toyota rather killed the grip by reordering the clutches and friction plates. I fixed that and also put in a stronger spring for more grip. The first fill was with Supertech, which I dumped after running it with a drill for about 15 minutes. The first real fill was Redline 75W90NS and oh, boy did it lock up. The car was undrivable, like I had a spool. So I started adding Redline's additive. It took the whole 4oz bottle to tame.

It took some time to break in. Now, after many miles, I'm happy with it. It grips nicely and is smooth on the street. I get a little groaning in a parking lot, but it's all part of the experience. Since it's probably about time to replace the oil, I will try the "regular" 75W90 next.

Now that I know I have way more grip that I will ever want, it's very easy to reduce the grip. With the stock setup, there was never enough grip.

I have had to add the very smelly Ford friction modifier to LSD's that customers claimed to have used fluid with modifier added already in the bottle.

I am currently running 76MBP oil in 85w140. This is what the the diff shop (Unitrax) recommends to use when I had TruTrac installed. I contacted Eaton and they are adamant to not use anything synthetic or any friction modifiers when running a TruTrac.

I typically use RL/Amsoil or a couple of times Synpower along with a few oz of LG Gear, never an issue with any of these brands.

Back