Folks with LSD's - Which Gear Lube Do You Use?

Folks with clutch-based LSD's - I am interesting in the following info:

1) What is your vehicle?
2) What gear lube do you use?
3) If the gear lube was pre-blended with friction modifier, did you have to add additional additive?

Thanks!

Word to the wise. The Getrag in my CTS-V chatters in the winter with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90.

I've always used RedLine 75W90 gear oil in everything I've owned that had a posi in it. 2017 JEEP Wrangler, 1969 Charger, 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker and others before these. Never a problem and never had to more friction modifier either.

Mobil 1 75w 90 and/or valvoline 75w 90 with L.S modifiers in them
Avalanche and Tahoe both with factory L.S rear ends

i use the correct blend of Redline always. there are several variations, so check their web site or call. additives used are specific fot the application. never any issues in any vehicle i have owned, yes its $$$ but it just might be the best. i changed ALL drivetrain fluids in my lo mile 2011 frontier SV 6 spd manual + gained 3 mpgs, note i used 75-90 in the rear rather than OE 75-140 semi syn!! there is a mid blend as well.

The LSD in my 98 S-10 ZR2 has always gotten either Mobil 1 or Amsoil SVG with no additional additive.

The LSD in my 96 Ram CTD just got Supertech 80w-90 (as a short term flush) with lubeguard additive. I swapped one of the three liters of 80w-90 with 80w-140 to make it on the heavier end. The FSM said 4oz. of additive for my Dana 70, though IIRC it specs more for the Dana 80.

Last edited:
Folks with clutch-based LSD's - I am interesting in the following info:

1) What is your vehicle?
2) What gear lube do you use?
3) If the gear lube was pre-blended with friction modifier, did you have to add additional additive?

Thanks!
2019 Buick Regal TourX(Vauxhall/Opel Country Tourer) with GKN Twinster, same unit as Focus RS.

ACDelco Dexron LS only! Tried Castrol Syntrax LS and it started moaning around right turns. Replaced under warranty so I’m apprehensive to stray again.

No additions,ready to install.

The 2002 F350 had posi and I used M1 75W-140 in it and found the oil came out looking bad . I did a uoa and every thing was high. . I couldn't feel chatter etc so I added more Friction modifier and the oil came out clear [as possible] after the next diff oil change.

In the evo, only OEM mitsu LSD gear oil 90w. Some people do Motul or Amsoil but there's no differences in changing over from OEM except for personal preference.

1. 2002 F150
  2. Lucas 75w-140 the first time, Supertech 75w-140 the second time
  3. Yes, Motorcraft XL3 friction modifier both times
  1. 2004 F150
  2. Valvoline 75w-140
  3. Yes, Motorcraft XL3 friction modifier

The Ford LS are known to be very picky and need additional friction modifier despite the fluid having it added.

1. 2002 Tundra 4x4 TRD with factory LSD
2. Castrol 80w90 Limited Slip GL5
3. It’s pre-blended dino just like Toyota calls for in this gen Tundra, no chatter and it always works perfectly right out of the bottle and still functions great at almost 200k, changing every 50k or so

Tacoma - Mobil1 75w-90

mustang - valvoline synpower 75w-140 with added modifier.

Back