2019 Kia Stinger GT RWD with 3 rear diff failures

Pretty sure the source of our droning and driveline vibrations in our palisade was the rear diff, got tired of going round and round with them. Last straw was when the foreman told me he knew I wasn’t going to be fully happy with the last repair (transfer case), that it’s improved but not fixed, but Hyundai won’t let them continue to make expensive repairs unless I continue to return time after time after taking it home and not being satisfied.

I don’t think Hyundai Kia can make a rear diff properly. I know in the early 2000s and 2010s when I worked in a Hyundai dealership, the Hyundai techs strongly recommended against buying any Hyundai all wheel drives due to driveline vibrations.

Pretty sure the source of our droning and driveline vibrations in our palisade was the rear diff, got tired of going round and round with them. Last straw was when the foreman told me he knew I wasn’t going to be fully happy with the last repair (transfer case), that it’s improved but not fixed, but Hyundai won’t let them continue to make expensive repairs unless I continue to return time after time after taking it home and not being satisfied.

I don’t think Hyundai Kia can make a rear diff properly. I know in the early 2000s and 2010s when I worked in a Hyundai dealership, the Hyundai techs strongly recommended against buying any Hyundai all wheel drives due to driveline vibrations.
I had a micro vibration in driveline in my Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD and never brought up because Hyundai would discount it. Standard operational procedure with Hyundai. Unless it is a blaring issue, they will discount it. It turned out to be out of balanced OE rotors from day one. Run out was ok, but one or all were out of balance. When I installed my cryo slotted Frozen Rotors the vibration went away.

So if you have a Hyundai/Kia and have a driveline vibration first place to look are the rotors.

I had a micro vibration in driveline in my Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD and never brought up because Hyundai would discount it. Standard operational procedure with Hyundai. Unless it is a blaring issue, they will discount it. It turned out to be out of balanced OE rotors from day one. Run out was ok, but one or all were out of balance. When I installed my cryo slotted Frozen Rotors the vibration went away.

So if you have a Hyundai/Kia and have a driveline vibration first place to look are the rotors.
I have two Hyundais and the OE rotors went the entire distance till too thin before they were changed. 130k on the Gen Coupe and 100k miles on the Accent.

Ours wasn’t “micro” and it droned so bad in the cabin it drove us crazy. The tech even noted that there was a lot of noise from the pinion. That wasn’t enough for Hyundai to just replace the rear. They tried anything else cheaper first, Hyundais tech line advises the shop as to “this is the most common issue, try this and give it back to the customer and see if they’re satisfied.” After tires, an axle or two, a driveshaft repositioning, driveshaft replacement, and transfer case replacement, I was fed up. They offered to buy back or pay me to shut up.

The internet is filled with horror stories of bad differentials. Many enthusiasts have resolved many of the issues with limited slip additives in the oil. Could Hyundai/Kia be foolish enough to install LSD's with no friction modifier or inadequate supplemental additive? I think that's a possibility.
Bingo!
TSB for that.

Kia Diff Oil.jpg

I like torsen LSDs. They don't have clutches and are more durable (unless they're made of old matchbox cars like Hyundais metal

Back