Fluid and filter change SuperTech Dexron VI good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna give my Trailblazer some more TLC this week by changing the tranny fluid and filter. I already replaced the front and rear diff fluid with Mobil 1 LS syn fluid, and replaced my t-case fluid with the recommended Auto Trak II. My tranny calls for Dex III, but I'm going with Dex VI and saw some Super Tech VI fluid at Wal Mart today. I've always stuck to "big brands" for my fluids, but I've heard good things about the ST fluid. I'm just not sure I wanna trust my 114k mile tranny with a "value fluid". Any thoughts on what I should use? I really wanna go with a synthetic fluid, so any suggestions please keep that in mind. Thanks.

I would find it hard to use anything other than Maxlife ATF. I was very pleased with it. Auto Zone or Advance usually carry gallons.

Isn't MaxLife a Dex III though? I've heard for the transmission in my Trailblazer that it performs a little better with the VI fluid. I wanna prolong the life of this transmission for as long as I possibly can, as I love my TB and wanna keep it for as long as possible.

Buy and use the Super Tech Dex VI with confidence.

It is a licensed GM product which means it has undergone strict quality and specification controls. The Valvoline product can't say that. The SuperTech Product is I believe, a product of Citgo which is known for making high quality fluids like the other major oil companies.

Dex 6 is all the same. Supertech Dex 6 is just as good as Valvoline, AC Delco, Mobil, or Castrol. I use Supertech Dex 6 in my 4T65E, and it calls for Dex 3.

I wouldn't hesitate to use maxlife if it was cheaper per quart though, they should perform similar.

Because of the tightness of licensing and additization of Dex VI (per discussions on here), Id be more confident using this than most store brand stuff from walmart... Certainly since there is no such thing as licensing of dexron III fluids, the add packs may be subject to interpretation, and thus may change, especially in the low-rent fluids (ST D/M included).

If I were looking for a dex III fluid, Id only go with Mobil, as it still has the equivalent Allison transmission approval on it.

If I were going dex VI, Id not be as worried.

Maxlife is a semi-universal fluid, but is very well reviewed, so Id run it with confidence. Id probably run LG red in any non Dex VI fluid anyway.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Buy and use the Super Tech Dex VI with confidence.

It is a licensed GM product which means it has undergone strict quality and specification controls. The Valvoline product can't say that. The SuperTech Product is I believe, a product of Citgo which is known for making high quality fluids like the other major oil companies.

+1. With confidence.

One reason why I was gonna cheap out on the fluid, was I'm just gonna drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill. Gonna drive it for another 2000k when my OC is due, then drop the pan, and refill to change out more of the old fluid. If the ST Dex VI is a good fluid, then that's a bonus. Any voa/uoas on this fluid? Do I have to worry about add packs like I do for motor oil?

You can drive it 10 miles after filling the pan and drain it again and it will be well mixed. I did 3 drain in fills after driving 10 miles each and it got tons of old fluid out.

I may give that a shot. Thanks. The more I read about MaxLife, the more I'm leaning towards using it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Maxlife, but use Lubeguard Red if you get it.

You never need to add lubeguard to Dex 6 though.

Maybe this can sway you to Dex 6, but remember Maxlife is superior to Dex 3 i think.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3014880#Post3014880

Linky if you want to use maxlife.

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-60902-Automatic-Transmission-Protectant/dp/B0007ZAJRM

I wouldn't add the lubeguard til you get the dirty fluid out though after at least 2 pan drops/drains.

Yeah I'm going Dex VI. Been reading on a Trailblazer site that the tranny in these really likes the VI fluid. Got my filter ordered through Amazon, so Friday I'm gonna do the deed. I bought my TB used about 2 months ago, so I'm unsure if it ever had the 100K mile tranny service done so I'm gonna do it just to be safe. Gonna see if I can take this sucker to 300K or beyond.

If you are considering doing drain/refills install a drain bolt or install an aftermarket trans pan. My 02 Silverado was blessed with a trans drain bolt but stripped the head trying to remove it. New bolt and do drain/refills every 10,000mi.

I'm eyeballing a Dorman pan for my vehicle that has the drain plug. Sure beats dropping the pan. So no LubeGuard if I go with the Dex VI?

Last edited:
You can add Lubegard Red to any fluid, but not sure it is really all that helpful unless you are adding it to your final fill (of the drain and refills). Maxlife is probably very similar to Dex VI in viscosity at least. The Supertech Dex VI is most likely a semi-syn base fluid and the Maxlife is a full synthetic (most likely Group III base oil). The Maxlife will cost you more, and in my opinion is better fluid overall vs. ST Dex VI. I have used ST DEX VI before and it is a fine fluid and is licensed, which Maxlife ATF is not that I am aware of. If you are going to do some drain and refills, then the ST Dex VI makes sense because it costs less, and you will be dumping less good fluid($)with the bad each time. If you were doing a one-time complete flush, then it makes more sense to use the best stuff at that point, at least in my way of thinking about these things.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
I'm eyeballing a Dorman pan for my vehicle that has the drain plug. Sure beats dropping the pan. So no LubeGuard if I go with the Dex VI?

Im not sure LG red is needed with the VI.

Id check if there is a TCI aluminum pan available. The mag hytec didnt fit on my ZR2, bu the TCI does, adds a bit more sump capacity as well as the plug, and Ive been happy with it.

So what's the consensus? Maxlife or VI? I wanna keep my vehicle for as long as I can so I wanna fill the tranny with whatever is best.

Valvoline sells Dexron VI ATF too. Use that and keep everyone happy.
smile.gif

Saw Valvoline Dexron VI in my local Auto Zone other day on shelf priced at $6.99/quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back