Flowmaster Muffler Questions

2004 F150 Lariat (New body style) 5.4 3V Engine
This is my son's truck. He wants to get a cat back exhaust into a Flowmaster muffler with duals out the back and 3.5" rolled tips.
Which muffler is the loudest, the Super 40 or the original 40? I have only used the original 40's on a few of my street rods in the past. I have no clue what the difference is between the two.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Young folks don’t mind the noise but Flowmasters are called “Dronemasters” around here. They create a drone inside the vehicle that makes it an unbearable ride. Not sure that matters but there are much better choices.

Young folks don’t mind the noise but Flowmasters are called “Dronemasters” around here. They create a drone inside the vehicle that makes it an unbearable ride. Not sure that matters but there are much better choices.
I have used FM, DYNOMAX, BORLA, THRUSH, and headers with straight pipes, no mufflers. I prefer headers with no mufflers. Wait, I'm going down memory lane......back to my son's truck.
I have used FM a few times. I liked them. I never had a droning sound in my interiors. I do like DYNOMAX as well.
I just want to know which is louder, Super 40 or Original 40?

fm-updated-street-mufflers-landing-page-banner-2560x85318353.jpg

It will sound awful, he might think its cool but those in the know wil just shake their head and think "fool"... bonus fool point for having a muffler shop hack up the original exhaust and weld on a crimp bent set of mild steel pipes...

If he's gonna do it at least buy a proper system...

fm-updated-street-mufflers-landing-page-banner-2560x85318353.jpg

It will sound awful, he might think its cool but those in the know wil just shake their head and think "fool"... bonus fool point forgiving a muffler sho hack up th original exhaust and weld on a crimp bent set of mile steel pipes...

If he's gonna do it at least buy a proper system...

Thanks DR. 40 Series it is.
It's his money and I can only advise.

I have used FM, DYNOMAX, BORLA, THRUSH, and headers with straight pipes, no mufflers. I prefer headers with no mufflers. Wait, I'm going down memory lane......back to my son's truck.
I have used FM a few times. I liked them. I never had a droning sound in my interiors. I do like DYNOMAX as well.
I just want to know which is louder, Super 40 or Original 40?
Sorry I wasn’t any help with your original question. Dr. Gas Boom Tubes have been popular around here with the young folks.

Flowmaster has a lot on you tube... how helpful depends on how good your computer speakers are.

I do have a flowmaster for the Ranger, it's a super 50 and its still has a little drone, enough that it took it off. I personally prefer Dyno Max, but flow masters systems are better quality IMO.

Aren't the Shelbys a flat plane crank? He might look at Borla or Magnaflow...

Dynomax Super Turbo for a mellow but powerful sound.
Dynomax UltraFlow straight through, for loud but refined. (zero restriction, maximum HP) (This is what road racers use when tracks require mufflers)
Flowmasters just sound hollow and cheap.

The Ultraflow is probably the best muffler ever made. They even have a welded version.

wlk-17220_xl.jpg

landing_ufssp_main.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks DR. 40 Series it is.
It's his money and I can only advise.
One thing for sure, you will hear him coming and going. That's not a bad thing. I agree with you to allow him to make his own choice about this.
My son got a Scion tC to drive to college. After a little less than a year, he decided he wanted to get a loud exhaust for it. I advised against it but ultimately it was his car and money and he ordered a bolt on kit. What a pile of @#**. A muffler shop had to tweak one of the bent pipes to make it fit reasonably. After about 5 years of the rattling and banging and the go-cart effect, he decided to go back to the factory exhaust. His new wife helped him decide also....

I have had a Flowmaster Flow FX installed with a 2-1/2" side pipe from the CAT back since I bought my truck in 1991. I don't think it's "loud" at all. (Single exhaust on a 5.0 V-8). I had the original factory system removed because it was a crossover plumbing nightmare, and weighed a ton.

I've been happy with it ever since. A local guy here in town did it, and he welded everything, and did a beautiful job. He must have if I'm still driving it 31 years later. He even opened up the CAT to 2-1/2" to accommodate the larger pipes. I think he charged me $185.00 at the time. Worth every penny.

I’ve got a 40 or super 40 on my Ram with the 5.7 HEMI, but left the factory resonator. It does drone a bit at 70 but it’s not ridiculous. My wife says it’s loud but I don’t think it is lol

I realize sound is a very much matter of opinion, but i agree dynomax ultra flows have a better sound, the do have some of the old glass pack sound, those are what i have on the F100. Ive had 2 sets, the current ones are larger to to get the actual lsound level down, they are still loud when you get on it...

Lot harder to find stuff on youtube though.

Nearly impossible to find local exhaust shops with mandrel benders....

Running a Super 10 on my Silverado with turn downs, single 3" system and it's not that loud compared to the 40 series that was on their before, as was stated, no annoying drone, only the purring of the V8. ;)
71i6QjAMBpL.jpg

Running a Super 10 on my Silverado with turn downs, single 3" system and it's not that loud compared to the 40 series that was on their before, as was stated, no annoying drone, only the purring of the V8. ;)
71i6QjAMBpL.jpg

I'm too old at 6:00 AM when my idiot neighbor cranks up his garbage wagon with probably 40's on it.

Hopefully you're not someones idiot neighbor cranking his garbage wagon at 6:00 AM.

They're wonderful for a month, then the drone gets to you. I liked any straight-through muffler for that reason & used Magnaflow. They were replaced probably every other year though as the insulation/sound deadening material burned off with all of the full throttle fun on HPDE weekends a few times a year.

Back