Fixing brake pulsation by re-bedding in pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I unstuck the front brakes due to sitting, I wire brushed the pads and bedded them with several brake stands. Mostly to scrub off the rust. Brakes work great .

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We have saved thousands of dollars on brake work here in our fleet and personal cars by bedding the brakes first whenever pulsation is detected.

Many times it will stop the problem dead, especially on our 3500 service vans which operate every day at their GVWR (9500-9700 pounds).

IMO I would try it first on any vehicle that has not had brake work done recently. If you just did the work then you must first verify that all other factors are considered first. But bedding brakes is a great help to us....

Can you explain this process please?

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We have saved thousands of dollars on brake work here in our fleet and personal cars by bedding the brakes first whenever pulsation is detected.

Many times it will stop the problem dead, especially on our 3500 service vans which operate every day at their GVWR (9500-9700 pounds).

IMO I would try it first on any vehicle that has not had brake work done recently. If you just did the work then you must first verify that all other factors are considered first. But bedding brakes is a great help to us....

Can you explain this process please?

First an employee complains about the brakes. Then I test drive the truck. If it has significant pulsation I have a back road to do the bedding on. I go about 60, engage brakes to the threshold of ABS but release them at about 5 mph. Repeat five or six times until brakes smell HOT. Then you must drive a mile or two without stopping until totally cool. Sometimes we repeat the cycle.

Notes? Always inspect the pads first for thickness. The procedure must fit the vehicle. Usually smaller imports with tiny brakes need fewer stops and lower speeds. High performance vehicles need higher speeds and more stops. Pad materials vary wildly, so this procedure may not work for your particular combo.

go here for more info from a real brake expert: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Resurfacing using an on car lathe or new rotors (with confirmation of runout readings) will be the only sure fix.

Exactly. Re-bedding the brakes is most likely a waste of time and gas. Odds are the rotors are warped.

rotors don't warp.

Quote:
rotors don't warp.
Oh boy, here we go again! Yes, we understand the politically correct term to use is "thickness variation". That makes me sound very intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back