Fixing brake pulsation by re-bedding in pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A common issue with my Honda Pilot is shuddering when braking due to the [censored] OEM rotors. This started at only 20K miles and has gotten worse over time. Many people just replace the pads & rotors and call it a day. My pads still have plenty of life left but the shaking is annoying. I've heard that aggressively re-bedding in the pads by doing ten 60-10 mph stops can fix the issue by depositing an even layer of friction material onto the rotors. Has anybody had luck with this? Heck, if it gives me smooth braking for the next 10K miles, I'll be happy. Just don't want to tear into the brakes on a 3 yr old car if I don't have to.

Long story short, a re-bed is worth a shot if you have pulsation, but there are issues it won't fix.

I think the idea is that an aggressive re-bed will help scrub off rust/etc that have built up on the rotor.

If your pulsation is being caused by some buildup on the rotor that can be scrubbed off, then a rebed might work. It has worked for me in the past in some cases.

But, if your pulsation is caused by something else -the most common cause would be runout causing the rotor to wear unevenly- then you can do rebeds 'til the cows come home and it will never fix the issue.

My step mom also has a 2013 Pilot, rotors were turned 2x by the dealer and replaced then turned 1x more by the dealership before the warranty ran out due to pulse issues. One brake job since out of warranty resulted in more of the same after about 10k. Shop replaced the rotors and pads at no cost. Seems ok for now. Her previous vehicle had a similar experience so maybe it's the way she drives. You don't HAVE to change your friction out, just install new rotors or get yours turned. Good luck with the stupid screws that hold them on...

Resurfacing using an on car lathe or new rotors (with confirmation of runout readings) will be the only sure fix.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Resurfacing using an on car lathe or new rotors (with confirmation of runout readings) will be the only sure fix.

Exactly. Re-bedding the brakes is most likely a waste of time and gas. Odds are the rotors are warped.

I have fixed brake pulsation in several cars by re-bedding. Make sure to drive for awhile before stopping after the last hard stop to let the brakes cool. The hardest thing is finding an appropriate road.

Why not give it a try? Cheaper than new rotors.

I'm fighting this now with my F350. It has like new rotors and pads on the front but has a heck of a pulsation in the pedal that drives me crazy! I was thinking a good hard re-bedding to see what it gets me before replacing those expensive darn rotors.

Re-bedding worked on our old one for a few thousand miles, then it just came back. We had an 09. Replacing the pads and rotors fixed the issue for good.

Sure, you got a few thousand miles for free. How bad is that? I re-bedded my brakes and they are perfect for 15,000 miles. Always worth a try.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm fighting this now with my F350. It has like new rotors and pads on the front but has a heck of a pulsation in the pedal that drives me crazy! I was thinking a good hard re-bedding to see what it gets me before replacing those expensive darn rotors.

Did you try a dial indicator and check them for lateral run out? It could be as simple as moving the rotors one or two lug nuts clockwise of counter clockwise on the hub, or shimming them.

This will show you how to check them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SbWB2CNqio

At 30K miles, I doubt the rotors are warped.

I've been using either a brake rotor disc made by FlexHone/Brush Research or 3M Scotch Brite Roloc bristle disc for prepping rotors.
I also use them on the brake hub assembly and flywheels.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Have the rotors turned or replace them, thts your only real option.

+1 Agreed. That is where most of your issues lie. Re bedding the pads wont do much

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Did you try a dial indicator and check them for lateral run out? It could be as simple as moving the rotors one or two lug nuts clockwise of counter clockwise on the hub, or shimming them.

This will show you how to check them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SbWB2CNqio

No Sir I haven't but great idea. I will do that this weekend.

We have saved thousands of dollars on brake work here in our fleet and personal cars by bedding the brakes first whenever pulsation is detected.

Many times it will stop the problem dead, especially on our 3500 service vans which operate every day at their GVWR (9500-9700 pounds).

IMO I would try it first on any vehicle that has not had brake work done recently. If you just did the work then you must first verify that all other factors are considered first. But bedding brakes is a great help to us....

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Re-bedding worked on our old one for a few thousand miles, then it just came back. We had an 09. Replacing the pads and rotors fixed the issue for good.

Puzzled. Why didn't you just do it again when it came back? Doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: K20FA5

Puzzled. Why didn't you just do it again when it came back? Doesn't seem like a very big deal.

The OEM pads weren't that great. Rotors are cheap, and my wife's safety is important!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back