First winter with my Audi A4 Quattro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
A Quattro with snow tires = Bliss. Why stop half way. Get the snow tires.

Very much agree with this. Best of both worlds.

I would highly recommend OP to get a set of snow tires if he lives in an area where it normally snows. Audi + winter tires is quite a strong combination.

Mine's an A6 Quattro and the first year I had it, I got a set of wheels with snow tires on them. It's a very quit swap in December and then in March switching back to sport tires.

Originally Posted By: lyle
I would seriously consider winter tires and wheels. I have a State Patrol friend and every time we get a little snow, he grimly tells me "it's Audi-duty time".

You are absolutely correct in that awd will help you accelerate better, but cornering and stopping is dicey, especially with your wide performance tires.

Your overall point re: winter tires is right but the A4's tires are neither wide nor performance in the scheme of things.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
The A4 uses VWs 4motion haldex system right? I had a golf 4motion for one winter and it was great in the snow. The only thing that would stop it was when the snow was too high! I know in the one I had putting the car in "sport" mode with the DSG would automatically split the power 50/50 vs the computer working it out. It was really fun in the snow.

No. It's Torsen-based.

Unless it's a Quattro with Ultra Technology, which is made by Magna.

I was just going to comment that Magna makes some of the Quattro systems. They have the AI logic for predicting conditions.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
No. It's Torsen-based.

AFAIK, Audi has moved away from Torsen center differential. A few years back they started moving over to Audi-developed self-locking crown gear center differential. And that is separate from Ultra which is available on some models.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
No. It's Torsen-based.

AFAIK, Audi has moved away from Torsen center differential. A few years back they started moving over to Audi-developed self-locking crown gear center differential. And that is separate from Ultra which is available on some models.

Yes, on the 2010+ RS5, A6, A7, and A8.

The Ultra on certain A4 configurations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
No. It's Torsen-based.

Yes, on the 2010+ RS5, A6, A7, and A8.

On the new A4 as well:
http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/models/a4s4/2018-a4-quattro/index.html

Quattro generation VI
Audi debuted the 6th generation of quattro in the 2010 RS5. The key change in generation VI is the replacement of the Torsen Type "C" centre differential with an Audi-developed "Crown Gear" differential. With the new "Crown Gear" center differential, up to 70% of the torque can be applied to the front wheels while up to 85% can be applied to the rear wheels if necessary. The net result of this advance in quattro is the ability of the vehicle electronics to fully manage the vehicle dynamics in all traction situations, whether in cornering, acceleration, braking, snow or in any combination of these. This system was later adopted by the A7, latest generation of the A6 and A8/

My A4 has the 252hp engine with the DSG so Ive got the 6th gen, Crown gear, diff. it normally sends 60% to the rear and 40% to the front and i can really feel the 60% in the rear pushing into the corners.

Along side my car were the ultra series with 190 hp and better mpg and i think these sport the ultra system that is FWD until conditions call for RW assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back