first walmart battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
just noticed the picture is not correct. battery is flat top, 725 cca. Not JCI I believe. Made 1/18.

Post a picture, if its JC you just bought a real pig in a poke and passed by some great batteries for a few bucks in savings. If its a Penn then you did good.

I don't need to post a picture, as I stated in my follow up, it is flat top. They have the correct updated picture for the regular model battery, not the maxx for whatever reason.

I don't make the pictures, update the correct pictures, or scrutinize the picture to see if exactly the same. Sorry.....

But again, to clarify, its not 750CCA, but 725CCA. Not a JC battery from looks (flat top). Its a flat top. Made on 1/18 circular sticker. Has a handle. Flat top battery. The top, well, its flat. Fits well in holder, but I forgot to mention, the plastic heat barrier battery sleeve DOES NOT fit around this new flat top battery. So, when it warms up outside, I will cut the protector, put it around, seal with tape. Or just not use it, I mean it is a flat top, who needs extra protection...

Sorry for the confusion guys. I'll blame Walmart. Call me anything, but don't call me flat top.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I don't make the pictures, update the correct pictures, or scrutinize the picture to see if exactly the same. Sorry.....

You probably know what you're looking for. Others know what to look for. However, there probably are people reading this topic that have no idea and want to know exactly what it looks like. Walmart considers them interchangeable, but obviously we who obsess about little details don't necessarily see things the same way.

The AAA-branded East Penn batteries even say "FLUSH TOP" on the label, like this one:

top-reviews-of-aaa-battery-replacement-where-i-know-the-warranty-is-good-has-you-in-a-vulnerable-position-during-service-call-they-sell-garbage-at-premium-price-and_battery-ratin.jpg

So anyone who is looking out for one, look for that specific design with a panel on the top that covers the entire width of the top of the battery, and has one of those little "prongs" on each side of the panel.

Ahh you are good man. You clearly got a East Penn battery. And 725 CCA... That is also a East Penn battery spec. Being where your location is... It makes sense it would be from there being they are so close by your area.

Thanks for the photos and comments. After my experience with the late model Optima batteries made by Johnson Controls, I want to avoid JC made batteries.

those "prongs" on the top of the east penn dekas are vent tubes.
i guess they figure its cheaper to design one top cover and use it on everything in a group size rather than several types per group size.
as for the optima comments yes the bean counters have destroyed them.
i see lots of bad ones at the 2 year mark.
not worth the premium with that short of life.
all the corporate bravo sierra optima jim spews on the forums does not change what i see in real life.

I don't doubt any experiences from the posters here but how do you think Johnson Controls stay in business? You'd think their failure rate was nearly 100% in this forum. The Group-65 I bought at Wal*mart last year gives me no cause for worry. I know it may be more revealing a few years down the road but we'll see and judge it then.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
I don't doubt any experiences from the posters here but how do you think Johnson Controls stay in business? You'd think their failure rate was nearly 100% in this forum. The Group-65 I bought at Wal*mart last year gives me no cause for worry. I know it may be more revealing a few years down the road but we'll see and judge it then.

I don't have any problem per se with them as long as you know what you're getting. I've got one (a Costco Interstate) and 4 of the last 5 car batteries I've bought were made by JCI.

If anything they're getting criticized for outsourcing manufacturing to Mexico, Korea, or even Saudi Arabia. And other than Optima, they don't sell any of the batteries under their own brand. However, East Penn has a ridiculously good reputation. If anything, Exide has a pretty bad reputation.

Very good post y_p_w.

JC will be just fine.. They have a lot of places that sell their batteries. AAP, AZ, Wally World etc etc. And most of the buying public does not think about battery stuff at all. Until.. it fails. And they are stranded.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap

If this forum was solely reflective of the world at large, it would be a quite different place.

FWIW, I've been using JCI-made 48/91/H6 batteries for at least 25 years, and have not had an issue, even after deep discharging a couple of them. OTOH, a Costco-labeled 35 died before the warranty period expired.

Johnson Controls is a Fortune 500 conglomerate that makes far more than car batteries, in which they're the largest in a consolidated market. They'd have to have some serious issues to fail. Exide was nailed for selling used batteries as new, bribery and being sued for leaving polluted sites behind, and they're still around.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Been looking for replacement batteries for a 92 Chevy truck with the 6.5L diesel. I see Walmart has these for just $50 https://www.walmart.com/ip/ValuePower-VP-78-Battery-600-CCA/47308802 Truck takes 2. Looks like they are out of stock everywhere. Does that mean they sell out fast and are pretty good?

I guess it depends on the location. An area with a lot of vehicles that use this battery (is it mostly pickup trucks) might have them in high demand. I looked and it said my local one has it ready for pickup today. At least at my local one they're labelled as made in Korea by JCI.

Originally Posted By: frankbee3

This begs the question. How do I tell whether a Walmart battery is made by Johnson versus East Penn?

I am great service from a Deka branded battery in my Toyota Pickup. 5 years and going strong...

Everyone here is making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you are looking at WalMart batteries (e.g., EverStart MAXX, EverStart, ValuePower), all you need to do is to look at the Item Number that is on the barcode sticker. East Penn batteries will start with an "EP", while Johnson Control batteries will start with "JC". That's it...go see for yourself.

I’ve had an EverstartMAXX in my Camry for four years now and it’s still doing very well. It’s down about 200 CCA from new so I’m keeping an eye on it but I’m not worried.

I think Walmart batteries are a strong value and I’m kicking myself for going right to O’Reilley when my van battery died. I paid probably $30 more for the battery there when I should have just gone to Walmart.

The idea is to have the battery failed a few days before 3 years free replacement period is up so you can get new battery. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
East Penn batteries will start with an "EP", while Johnson Control batteries will start with "JC". That's it...go see for yourself.

That's funny if it's true. Thanks for the heads up.

What Nukeman7 said. I looked at the Walmart Battery in my 3 auto's today and in the Serial # it shows JC in the older ones and the one I purchased this weekend is EP. EP= East Penn made--JC= Johnson Controls made.

Originally Posted by Nukeman7

Everyone here is making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you are looking at WalMart batteries (e.g., EverStart MAXX, EverStart, ValuePower), all you need to do is to look at the Item Number that is on the barcode sticker. East Penn batteries will start with an "EP", while Johnson Control batteries will start with "JC". That's it...go see for yourself.

Thanks. Walmart here in Maryland has the Everstart AGM and Maxx with EP serial numbers.

Purchased my F-150 in November 2012 and the battery finally failed the test at the dealer last week. It still starts fine, been driving 3 days since the service but I replaced it today with this Maxx. I could have paid $180 for the dealer to put in another 750cca Motorcraft but decided to do it myself. The Everstart AGM at $150 is a good deal but I figure I would stick with a cheaper Maxx ($93) and roll the dice.

Pulling a travel trailer I wanted to be able to find a replacement quickly if I needed one. There are Walmarts all over the place so I went with Everstart.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

If you look at the battery cases has well... They are clearly East Penn battery cases...

You will be good to go this winter... That's a very good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back