First time any Toyota in the family has failed to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Surprising the tow company didn't jump start it.
They get paid more for towing than jumps ? It also depends on what they customer requests - a tow or a jump-start. The tow driver is just doing what he/she was told.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Clicking is the sound of a weak battery. Car brand doesn't matter.
Exactly. The subject reads like it's a fault of Toyota or a Toyota component failing. Well, I guess it is a "Toyota" battery....

That's before I knew there wasn't a problem with the charging system...this is totally NOT Toyota's fault...

Originally Posted by doitmyself
$125 for battery replacement at a dealer is great! They didn't tack on an hour of labor for diagnostics?

I don't believe they did...

My Mazda always need a new battery after 3 years, a regular battery

our CRV with its 51r model and with 410CC needed to be replaced after 3 years too

my friend of mine on his 2014 Fusion says after 6 years, his battery is still OK

Originally Posted by grampi
....but I've never seen a battery go bad at just 3 years old.

but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

Replace the batteries in all of your vehicles every 2 years as preventative maintenance. It's cheap insurance and keeps you and your family safer....

You could buy a lithium jump pack with the money you're wasting and not worry about the battery condition. Heck, I sell my spare 5 or 6 year old good batteries on Craigslist for $40 or $50.

Don't forget Toyota has 2 different sized batteries. One is rated for 84 months, the other is 60 months (prorated at 42 months). I think the smaller battery is what you get from the factory. That would explain why your battery went dead sooner than you expected. I had to change my 2013 Sienna after 30 months. I left the sliding door open for an hour when i cleaned the van. Battery was dead. .

glad it was just the battery. Get a portable battery charger to keep in the van. It's much easier than a traditional jumper cables.

On my 2018 Tacoma the original battery went bad after 4 months, the 2nd. factory battery after 15 months.
We were at Toyota dealer for 5 HOURS last week while they charged old battery and tested electrical system.
After 3 hours, we found a service writer to ask what is going on.
The battery was bad, but also the Kahu device the dealer had installed on the truck before I bought it without my knowledge was causing a parasitic draw.

Did someone seriously recommend replacing your battery every 2 years as "preventative maintenance"? I just replaced the factory battery on my 2013 Mazda. Factory flooded battery almost made it 7 years in a state that has hot summers and cold winters. Decent battery's should last 4-5 years without a hiccup. Tropical climates can reduce this time.

Back in 1986 my dad bought a brand new Dodge Omni. Drove it 100+ miles home. The next morning the battery was dead and would not take a charge. I have had several batteries fail in less than 3 years.

I've seen several batteries die in very short order. In each case, it was a defective battery, and nothing to do with the vehicle charging system.

but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

Replace the batteries in all of your vehicles every 2 years as preventative maintenance. It's cheap insurance and keeps you and your family safer....

Come on ! Who in the [censored] would do something like that.

Not sure why but i get over 9+ years out of my cars battery. My 2006 Honda ( purchased in 2005 ) is on its first replacement ( was done Sept 2014 with 105K on truck )

Originally Posted by E150GT
My wife called me yesterday and said our 2016 Sienna wouldn't start. She got home from work, went into the house for about 10 minutes, then got back in the van and said when she turned the key, there was nothing but a clicking sound. The battery was dead, or too weak to start the engine. The battery is dated 2/17. The vehicle was purchased last April as a certified vehicle, and we have towing on our auto insurance, so I had the vehicle towed to a nearby Toyota dealership. I called them this morning and the vehicle is being looked at right now. I'm guessing there is a problem with the charging system, or I suppose there's a slight chance the battery could be bad, but I've never seen a battery go bad at just 3 years old. Either way, this is the first time any Toyota vehicle in our family has failed to start, and we've had quite a few over the years. I know one incident shouldn't ding my confidence in Toyota, but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

My last 3 cars havent had a battery last past 3 years. they all lasted almost exactly 3 years.

This is very very true in my opinion ^^^^^^^^^

Newer vehicle "off" battery demands are much much higher than they used to be ... Running security, picking up your magic key fob while your in your house... etc etc.....

Great idea here by hall ...

I tell my lady friends I work with to replace their car's batteries after 4 years plus.... Better than being stranded. . One lady I worked with Dianne had a very nice BMW... And she realized the battery was that old and she replaced it. She thanked me for getting her to think about it... By the way..... Dianne was pretty pretty... Always good to help out a pretty and nice lady.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
By the way..... Dianne was pretty pretty... Always good to help out a pretty and nice lady.

What about the ugly ones? Don't help them out too?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by hemitom

Come on ! Who in the [censored] would do something like that.

I put a reminder in my phone as to when the 2 year mark comes up to change the battery in my car......but then again I replace my phone every year as preventative maintenance so setting the reminder is a waste of time and I have no idea how old my car battery is
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mez
Not sure why but i get over 9+ years out of my cars battery. My 2006 Honda ( purchased in 2005 ) is on its first replacement ( was done Sept 2014 with 105K on truck )

I can generally get 5 plus years out a battery but I regularly charge my batteries at times when I'm doing simple maintenance I throw the charger on for a bit if the hood is open so i think that helps keep my batteries more fully charged on a regular basis

My problem with car batteries is usually my fault. Usually I leave the key in the ignition but not in the off position. We never lock our cars and just leave the keys in the ignition.

I am amazed at what they charged you for a battery. I get brand new Toyota/Lexus 84 months for around $110. I can see why some people call them "stealerships."
But they did install it.

From learning on this forum, I purchased on of those battery checkers and use it twice a year. It checks the CCA and tells you if your battery is on its last cell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bbhero
By the way..... Dianne was pretty pretty... Always good to help out a pretty and nice lady.

What about the ugly ones? Don't help them out too?
lol.gif

Actually yeah, seriously I do help anyone
lol.gif

Just nice to help out a lady like Dianne..

Last edited:
My wife called me yesterday and said our 2016 Sienna wouldn't start. She got home from work, went into the house for about 10 minutes, then got back in the van and said when she turned the key, there was nothing but a clicking sound. The battery was dead, or too weak to start the engine. The battery is dated 2/17. The vehicle was purchased last April as a certified vehicle, and we have towing on our auto insurance, so I had the vehicle towed to a nearby Toyota dealership. I called them this morning and the vehicle is being looked at right now. I'm guessing there is a problem with the charging system, or I suppose there's a slight chance the battery could be bad, but I've never seen a battery go bad at just 3 years old. Either way, this is the first time any Toyota vehicle in our family has failed to start, and we've had quite a few over the years. I know one incident shouldn't ding my confidence in Toyota, but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

Last fall battery in my SIenna died without any warning. Left car in garage where temperature was hovering between 65-70, all normal, absolutely no indication of bad battery, and next morning nothing. Dead.
I put larger batter as OE one was I think 66ah (not sure). My advice to you is to get battery with more capacity. My Tiguan and BMW both have more capacity in OE batteries than SIenna, and those car do not have sliding doors (obviously) or power lift gate. If Toyota puts same battery, expect same issue, especially if you guys to a lot of short trips.
Why they put such small battery in car that is intended for running errands, constant closing and opening of sliding doors (not to mention when kids play with them) is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back