First oil change recommendations 2.0 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
That is what I am hoping. But Hyundai does not have a perfect track record.

I have 2 Hyundais now - a 2004 Sonata V6 with 75,000 miles on it and a 2010 Elantra with 76,000 on it. I lost the AC in the Sonata and had it repaired (not under it's warranty) but lost it again and nothing so far with the Elantra. We just traded in my wife's 2007 Entourage with 111,000 miles on it - it developed a gasket leak that was going to cost a lot and we decided to buy another car instead of putting a lot of money into a car with 111,000 miles and 10 YO. Other than a battery failure 2x, once under warranty, nothing happened to that car. We did own a 2004 Santa Fe which was my MIL's and unfortunately my wife was in an accident and it was totaled ... it was hit on the passenger side so hard that she was pushed into another car sideways ... a bunch of airbags were deployed but she came out with minor injuries. Personally I can't ask for a better outcome than that if you are in an accident.

We like Hyundais so much that we thought about getting another one but my wife didn't like driving the Santa Fe Sport so we looked elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much on Hyundai's reliability.

As you like Hyundai's so much........IMO I would buy the company stock instead of the cars-just my 2 cents

I guess that is the theme of this thread. Change oil early or just at the 3,750 miles that Hyundai recommends? Life circumstances makes me just do what the manual recommends.

I would like to change or have transmission fluid changed at 30K. Saw a YouTube of what it looked like on a Sonata with more mileage than that. Not pretty at all. Plus, the transmission shifts a lot with the type of driving I do.

Nice looking car MM. I agree on the transmission service schedule. Today's smaller transmissions work harder than yesteryears TorqueFlites.

Properly maintained, Hyundai vehicles will last a long time these days.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
That is what I am hoping. But Hyundai does not have a perfect track record.

I have 2 Hyundais now - a 2004 Sonata V6 with 75,000 miles on it and a 2010 Elantra with 76,000 on it. I lost the AC in the Sonata and had it repaired (not under it's warranty) but lost it again and nothing so far with the Elantra. We just traded in my wife's 2007 Entourage with 111,000 miles on it - it developed a gasket leak that was going to cost a lot and we decided to buy another car instead of putting a lot of money into a car with 111,000 miles and 10 YO. Other than a battery failure 2x, once under warranty, nothing happened to that car. We did own a 2004 Santa Fe which was my MIL's and unfortunately my wife was in an accident and it was totaled ... it was hit on the passenger side so hard that she was pushed into another car sideways ... a bunch of airbags were deployed but she came out with minor injuries. Personally I can't ask for a better outcome than that if you are in an accident.

We like Hyundais so much that we thought about getting another one but my wife didn't like driving the Santa Fe Sport so we looked elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much on Hyundai's reliability.

As you like Hyundai's so much........IMO I would buy the company stock instead of the cars-just my 2 cents

No, I own Ford stock! It didn't take the US bailout and it gives a good dividend. Hyundai has it's hands in too many things - cars are just one of them. Not sure if your saying it because it's not a US car company but most if not all their cars are now being made in the US I believe.

The cars may not be exciting but they are functional and offer nice car for a good value. My son bought a 2015 Sonata Sport and it has everything in it, rides nice and I guess time will tell how long it lasts. We didn't expect that we had to get rid of the Entourage as it was great in a lot of ways and served its purpose; couldn't see putting a lot of money int an older car. At the time bought new it was about $10K cheaper than the equivalent Sienna and Odyssey and much better quality than the Dodge or Chrysler minivans. No real problems and maybe 2 recalls in it's life with one of them being just as we had the last issue.

I guess that is the theme of this thread. Change oil early or just at the 3,750 miles that Hyundai recommends? Life circumstances makes me just do what the manual recommends.

I would like to change or have transmission fluid changed at 30K. Saw a YouTube of what it looked like on a Sonata with more mileage than that. Not pretty at all. Plus, the transmission shifts a lot with the type of driving I do.

As far as oil changes are concerned if the manual says not to go more than a certain mileage and/or time to preserve the warranty it makes sense to do as they require. To keep your lifetime warranty, again do as they require. My new car has an "intelligent oil life monitor" in it and the manual says if you do certain type of driving do oil changes more frequently and don't wait for it to tell you - almost have to say why have an oil life monitor then.

It might be a pain and a little more costly to maintain the car the way the dealer expects you to but without them doing their work you still have the Hyundai warranty; you get the added "benefit" by going to them and doing their lifetime items that they will honor their warranty if they are around for its lifetime.

No oil life monitor on the Elantra. Hyundai kept it simple.

Since I do not drive a lot I can take advantage of their warranty if needed. Already had brake booster replaced under recall. The dealership switched it out in 1 hour. I was impressed.

All of our Hyundais said the 6 month/mileage thing in their manual so that's what I've been accustomed in doing.

I think you also have 1,000 mile leeway to comply with warranty change intervals, so it looks like I could also do the 6-month interval.

Those service intervals are very short...exact same car in Oz has 12 month/15,000km (9,300 miles) services, with a 5 year/unlimited kilometers warranty.

AnthemBassMan, that car looks nice. Is it Shale Grey Metallic like mine?

Sure is! This is the SE model with the popular tech package, or whatever they call it, upgrade. It deletes the SE badge from the trunk lid, adds the 7" touch screen with Apple Carplay, backup camera, and alloy wheels. Splurged for the platinum warranty, so now it's 10yr/100,000 miles bumber to bumber except typical brake pads, tires, floor mats. This is a sweet little car. Well, not so little anymore since it nudged into the midsize rating.

L8R,
Matt

Regular service interval vs Severe service interval..
If you go by the owner's manual you're pretty much in Severe service requirements just by starting the vehicle these days.
I have owned Hyundai's since they were first shipped to this country in the 80's. Took first one to Puerto Rico and it survived Hurricane Hugo..
Currently, wife drives a Tuscon with turbocharged engine.
I change the oil and rotate tires in all my vehicles every 5000 miles with MC 5qt Red Jug (semi synthetic) from Walmart. Have never had any engine related issues.
If you're worried about warranty issues, Hyundai has to PROVE the oil caused an engine failure to deny coverage. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Which means the dealership had to pull the oil and send off for an UOA!

Last edited:
Per manual it is 3,750 miles for severe service or 6 months. It looks like it will take me at least another 3 months to get to the recommended mileage. Engine is the NU MPi 2.0 Atkinson Cycle motor if that makes a difference. Driving 800 miles or so a month and many trips are 4 miles with mix of interstate and stop-n-go. At least once a week I drive 20 miles on interstate to a job site.

My plan was to have dealer change oil at the 3,750 miles and keep that routine. At 7,500 need tire rotation and 2nd oil change for warranty requirements. Dealership uses Valvoline 5w-20. They have regular coupons/discounts which has me thinking it is time to give up changing my own oil. It will make Hyundai and my body happy.

Looking for opinions, concerns, blessings, etc. After reading a lot of posts I think the oil will do fine. What do you think?

You certainly fall in the severe use category.

The Valvoline oil the dealer uses is just fine as will ANY oil that meets the spec that the engine calls for.
I do find it interesting that you are asking if the oil is ok, yes of course it is.

What is not ok with me is instead of you changing the oil when required, which in your case is twice a year, you are going to push it an extra 3 months. Will it harm anything? no.
I just dont understand the thinking when people look to extend drains for no reason. You bought a beautiful automobile and for pennies you should follow the manual and do the maintenance when required. Trust me, the manufacturers are not making up the schedule so you can be more inconvenienced then the company that extends certain items!

Anyway, just my thoughts and what I would do. Nice car by the way, good luck with it!

(btw, Im in shock, almost, that people replying in your thread do not understand the basic concept of severe use, you ARE in severe use, goes to show to careful with advice from forums and why I ALWAYS say follow your manual which I can see you read!)

Last edited:
OP recheck your Owner's Manual..there's Maintenance sections for cars in EUROPE and cars NOT IN EUROPE..

Your severe Maintenance for the Elantra is :

Replace every 7,500 km (4,650 miles)
or 6 months

So, you should be able to go 5k miles between oil changes as the normal schedule for 2017 Elantra is 10k miles..

pages 7-16-20 apply

I had 15k, so what you see is what I could afford. Two dealerships had your model with the Pop Package to get cruise control and it pushed me above my budget. Hyundai later in the model year put cruise on without the Pop package. I got exactly what I wanted. No touch screen, steel rims, and cruise. If I could delete XM from my radio I would. Car is whisper quiet when idling and responsive. I am happy with it so far.

hpb, I have a feeling oil changes is about the dealership and Hyundai making a profit. At my dealership the main service is oil changes that gets you in the door. From there, they add on all the other extra services that generate revenue.

Yep it's all in the upsell. They get you in the door with the regular oil change then wait for the recommendations. A lot of people are not aware so they go for the cooling system inspection or "free" brake inspection. The service advisor becomes a pusher for this stuff.

I had 15k, so what you see is what I could afford. Two dealerships had your model with the Pop Package to get cruise control and it pushed me above my budget. Hyundai later in the model year put cruise on without the Pop package. I got exactly what I wanted. No touch screen, steel rims, and cruise. If I could delete XM from my radio I would. Car is whisper quiet when idling and responsive. I am happy with it so far.

hpb, I have a feeling oil changes is about the dealership and Hyundai making a profit. At my dealership the main service is oil changes that gets you in the door. From there, they add on all the other extra services that generate revenue.

I got mine at a pretty decent steal. A dealership near me was running a big sale on all Hyundais. Before adding the platinum warranty coverage, my car was listed at $13,880 before tax. After taxes and the warranty, I came in at just under $17k. I keep my cars as long as possible. This replaced my Wife's '05 Dodge Neon that we had for 10 years and put 152,000 miles on. It had 19k on it when we bought that one.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Yep it's all in the upsell. They get you in the door with the regular oil change then wait for the recommendations. A lot of people are not aware so they go for the cooling system inspection or "free" brake inspection. The service advisor becomes a pusher for this stuff.

I am kinda laughing. Yesterday I received a coupon for Oil Change Plus. The dealership changes the oil and checks the vital fluids and they do a free ($$$$) multi point inspection for $34.95. The thing is that is pretty much the standard price for an oil change. I can get the oil changed with another coupon they gave me for $25.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Per manual it is 3,750 miles for severe service or 6 months. It looks like it will take me at least another 3 months to get to the recommended mileage. Engine is the NU MPi 2.0 Atkinson Cycle motor if that makes a difference. Driving 800 miles or so a month and many trips are 4 miles with mix of interstate and stop-n-go. At least once a week I drive 20 miles on interstate to a job site.

My plan was to have dealer change oil at the 3,750 miles and keep that routine. At 7,500 need tire rotation and 2nd oil change for warranty requirements. Dealership uses Valvoline 5w-20. They have regular coupons/discounts which has me thinking it is time to give up changing my own oil. It will make Hyundai and my body happy.

Looking for opinions, concerns, blessings, etc. After reading a lot of posts I think the oil will do fine. What do you think?

You certainly fall in the severe use category.

The Valvoline oil the dealer uses is just fine as will ANY oil that meets the spec that the engine calls for.
I do find it interesting that you are asking if the oil is ok, yes of course it is.

What is not ok with me is instead of you changing the oil when required, which in your case is twice a year, you are going to push it an extra 3 months. Will it harm anything? no.
I just dont understand the thinking when people look to extend drains for no reason. You bought a beautiful automobile and for pennies you should follow the manual and do the maintenance when required. Trust me, the manufacturers are not making up the schedule so you can be more inconvenienced then the company that extends certain items!

Anyway, just my thoughts and what I would do. Nice car by the way, good luck with it!

(btw, Im in shock, almost, that people replying in your thread do not understand the basic concept of severe use, you ARE in severe use, goes to show to careful with advice from forums and why I ALWAYS say follow your manual which I can see you read!)

alarmguy, I think you may have mus-understood or maybe what I wrote was confusing. I picked up the car on 2/2/17, so have only been driving about 2.5 months/1,500 miles. No way would I even consider going 3-months past what the manual recommends. I am a detail person and tend to follow the rules. This thread is not about an extended OCI.

The reason for this thread is to put to rest any doubts about when to do the 1st oil change and second to bond with my friends here. It is a relief to have a car with a warranty after doing most of the car maintenance and repairs myself. My body is giving out as I age and I may not have a garage in the future. So that is why I am looking at the dealership oil change thing. I have a garage full of oil after having a car that would get 1 quart per 600 miles.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Regular service interval vs Severe service interval..
If you go by the owner's manual you're pretty much in Severe service requirements just by starting the vehicle these days.
I have owned Hyundai's since they were first shipped to this country in the 80's. Took first one to Puerto Rico and it survived Hurricane Hugo..
Currently, wife drives a Tuscon with turbocharged engine.
I change the oil and rotate tires in all my vehicles every 5000 miles with MC 5qt Red Jug (semi synthetic) from Walmart. Have never had any engine related issues.
If you're worried about warranty issues, Hyundai has to PROVE the oil caused an engine failure to deny coverage. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Which means the dealership had to pull the oil and send off for an UOA!

I do have a question. What weight oil do you use? 5w-20 or 5w-30. I have about 5 gallons of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in the garage. I did toy with doing my own oil changes briefly. But 5w-20 may get better fuel mileage then there is the working two jobs/time factor. When I rush I tend to miss the oil pan and with the plastic guard on this car I think I would make a mess. I am looking for forward to someone else getting messy.

I've been debating the same thing. The cap says 5w20, but in the manual it shows 5w20 and 5w30 for the same temp ranges on section 8, page 9 of the owner's manual. Also 10w30 if the coldest temps don't drop below -15*. I'm right there with you on the two jobs. And coincidentally, my part time job is at a lube shop!

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back