First oil change recommendations 2.0 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per manual it is 3,750 miles for severe service or 6 months. It looks like it will take me at least another 3 months to get to the recommended mileage. Engine is the NU MPi 2.0 Atkinson Cycle motor if that makes a difference. Driving 800 miles or so a month and many trips are 4 miles with mix of interstate and stop-n-go. At least once a week I drive 20 miles on interstate to a job site.

My plan was to have dealer change oil at the 3,750 miles and keep that routine. At 7,500 need tire rotation and 2nd oil change for warranty requirements. Dealership uses Valvoline 5w-20. They have regular coupons/discounts which has me thinking it is time to give up changing my own oil. It will make Hyundai and my body happy.

Looking for opinions, concerns, blessings, etc. After reading a lot of posts I think the oil will do fine. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get lots of opinions here. This subject comes up constantly.

Personally, I like to change out the factory fill at 1000 miles. Run the next fill to your scheduled OCI . I'm not familiar with that engine. Is it direct-injected or have a turbo or both? If it does I would go with 5k intervals to start unless Hyundai says otherwise.

Valvoline 5W-20 is a good oil.
What is recommended OCI miles for non-severe duty? Are you a severe driver?
I would change it every 5K or six months, whichever comes first.
The idea for the first OCI at 3700 miles is what I'd do. Then stretch it more to 5K afterwards.

As a car owner and not a mechanic I always like to change the new oil after the first 1000 miles as well.

It is a multi port motor, not DI or turbo. Non-severe duty is 7,500. But, based on manual I am definitely severe service.

What makes you feel you need to qualify this as severe service? My mileage is probably 95% highway speeds and is not representative of your usage, but my wife has a 2006 Odyssey (which in my experience is not an engine that is easy on oil) and is probably 80% stop and go and only on weekends gets any significant highway mileage, to the tune of around 2000-2200 miles per month. The Odyssey just had a 6.5k OCI on old PP 5W-20 and the UOA was pretty good, iron was only slightly above 1ppm/1k and all other wear metals were low as well. I did move the Ody from a FU to Microgreen filter this time, but that should not affect anything negatively- based on the UOA I am going to take this 9-10k. This is a big, heavy (4400lbs empty) vehicle that has even heavier usage than yours... just wondering why you feel it needs the severe schedule.

My .02... follow regular service intervals and still use the Valvoline 5W-20 coupons to save DOUBLE the money!
smile.gif

It sounds like a lot of short tripping. I would go by Hyundai's requirements for warranty purposes. After that maybe consider a syn blend or synthetic and run 5000 mile intervals. That's just me. Your preference and schedule will tell you what to do.

Congrats on the new car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
It sounds like a lot of short tripping. I would go by Hyundai's requirements for warranty purposes. After that maybe consider a syn blend or synthetic and run 5000 mile intervals. That's just me. Your preference and schedule will tell you what to do.

Congrats on the new car.

Hyundais have a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty ... I agree with what you said but it'll be forever before it's out of warranty!
smile.gif

Thanks PimTac. It is my first new car.

Warranty is 100,000 miles or 10 years if I follow oil change schedule Hyundai recommends. A lot can happen in 10 years so thinking of what I will do after warranty is premature.
grin.gif

""Hyundais have a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty ... I agree with what you said but it'll be forever before it's out of warranty! ""

Forgot about that. Those 3750 oci's the OP mentioned are really too short for today's oils.

PS. I like Valvoline so your idea above is sound. Of course you can run any major brand with no worries.

Last edited:
Valvoline is what the dealership uses, but Hyundai recommends Shell or Quaker State.

Yeah, the feeling I have is any major brand will do fine. Oils keep improving.

Hyundai gets a nice check from Shell for those recommendations.
wink.gif

In this day and age of TGDI, it's refreshing to see a naturally aspirated port injected engine. No complications. You should get a good long service from that motor.

I also bought a 2017 Elantra last month, and also my first new car. The owner's manual recommends Quaker State oil, but there's a Shell Helix decal on the air filter box. Mine is at approx 1400 miles now still on the factory fill. Still debating on what to use for my first change. I've always used Penn. Platinum, but always looking to see if something is better, but not insanely high priced.

20170321_174748680_iOS_zps0aczrpdr.jpg

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: PimTac
""Hyundais have a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty ... I agree with what you said but it'll be forever before it's out of warranty! ""

Forgot about that. Those 3750 oci's the OP mentioned are really too short for today's oils.

PS. I like Valvoline so your idea above is sound. Of course you can run any major brand with no worries.

I believe what's in the manual trumps however good the oil is; even if you used extended performance synthetic. I was told by a dealer that living in NJ is considered severe use, so I try to get oil changes around that time. It's a little bother tp have the oil changed to not void that warranty. I can't say what Hyundai would do when/if a warranty claim happened with 7500 miles on an oil change and short tripping but just my opinion is to do what you need to do to keep that warranty going.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
That is what I am hoping. But Hyundai does not have a perfect track record.

I have 2 Hyundais now - a 2004 Sonata V6 with 75,000 miles on it and a 2010 Elantra with 76,000 on it. I lost the AC in the Sonata and had it repaired (not under it's warranty) but lost it again and nothing so far with the Elantra. We just traded in my wife's 2007 Entourage with 111,000 miles on it - it developed a gasket leak that was going to cost a lot and we decided to buy another car instead of putting a lot of money into a car with 111,000 miles and 10 YO. Other than a battery failure 2x, once under warranty, nothing happened to that car. We did own a 2004 Santa Fe which was my MIL's and unfortunately my wife was in an accident and it was totaled ... it was hit on the passenger side so hard that she was pushed into another car sideways ... a bunch of airbags were deployed but she came out with minor injuries. Personally I can't ask for a better outcome than that if you are in an accident.

We like Hyundais so much that we thought about getting another one but my wife didn't like driving the Santa Fe Sport so we looked elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much on Hyundai's reliability.

Remember peeps you can buy almost any new car and get a 100K mile powertrain warranty for 500-700 bucks if that's so important to YOU.

My wifes Subaru came with a dealer promoted "forever" warranty.

No need for silly service, just standard owner's manual requirements performed ANYWHERE.

Me I'm usually bored to tears with any car by 30-40K I'm ready for something else.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Remember peeps you can buy almost any new car and get a 100K mile powertrain warranty for 500-700 bucks if that's so important to YOU.

My wifes Subaru came with a dealer promoted "forever" warranty.

No need for silly service, just standard owner's manual requirements performed ANYWHERE.

Me I'm usually bored to tears with any car by 30-40K I'm ready for something else.

We had a car dealer by me with a 20 year 200,000 mile warranty on their cars which happened to be Hyundai. They were open on Saturday under their old name and opened on Monday under a new ownership - their warranty went away. People were [censored] that how dare they; the new dealership was prodded into keeping the terms of all new cars that were sold for a time (forget how long) so honored that other dealer's warranty. Personally I think that wrong on both parts - selling cars with a useless warranty and the new dealer having to absorb the other dealer's conditions - but the Hyundai warranty does remain in effect. And you do not have to go into a dealer for oil changes and such; some of us are close to dealers and if discounts are available why not use them.

In my case I would go past 6 months if I go much past the 3,750 oil change. So extended oil changes would not meet warranty requirement.

I do not trust shops to change my oil. Had a lot of bad experiences. But with Hyundai they pretty much push for going to dealership which is fine by me. If they mess up they will need to fix it. It will require me to say no to the up sell gravy that is not in the manual/needed.

The dealership does have a engine/power train forever warranty. Have to change antifreeze and transmission fluid every 30k. Manual says 60K for transmission service and I believe antifreeze is 100K or so. They get there money back with service to cover the warranty as far as I can see. I have a while to decide on that one.

AnthemBassMan, that car looks nice. Is it Shale Grey Metallic like mine?

Personally I like changing FF on a new car at about 2/3 of 'severe' or 'recommended' if there is no 'severe' schedule.
We got 2014 Kia Forte with 1.8 MPI engine, I used PP 5w-30 for first oil change and then went with 5w-20 after that. First change was at 3K miles with subsequent changes every 5K miles. Will be switching back to 5w-30 next time and staying with that grade until it starts calling for HM oil.
I also changed spark plugs at 40K miles and that made noticeable difference. ATF was fully replaced at 30K miles with drain and fill scheduled every 20K miles.
I do all work myself, not a car mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back