Firecrackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a bunch of crackers while traveling thru Tennessee. I bought two brands. Black Cat was one and the other was Phantom. Both of them have wicks that are about half as long as they used to be(20 years ago). The current wicks are about .5 inches. When i was younger, they used to be about 1.5 inches.

Does anyone know if you can still get regular firecrackers with longer wicks?

Does this say something about the attention span of today's youth?
laugh.gif

That could be especially dangerous depending on the type of wick it is. I remember some firecrackers having thin wicks that burned quick. Hopefully these aren't like those wicks i remember from when I was little.

Originally Posted By: sicko
That could be especially dangerous depending on the type of wick it is. I remember some firecrackers having thin wicks that burned quick. Hopefully these aren't like those wicks i remember from when I was little.

Well there pretty quick. Maybe three or four seconds. Used to be 3x this

Never hold a paper fuse firecracker in your hand. The firecrackers of today are not even close to what we had 40 years ago, never the less you could get hurt with a fast over powdered fuse. ( the ones from my childhood might take off a finger.)

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Never hold a paper fuse firecracker in your hand. The firecrackers of today are not even close to what we had 40 years ago, never the less you could get hurt with a fast over powdered fuse. ( the ones from my childhood might take off a finger.)

We must be in the same age group, Remember the "Real" M80s !!
wink.gif

I had a sharp lesson from a fuse a few years ago. This was one of those set on the ground displays with a green fuse. Anyway the darn fuse went pfffft and shot out a flame like a little rocket motor, of course right across my finger, ouch... ouch, ouch, ouch. Since that time I use a propane torch to light fuses, keeping my fingers well away from the fuse (it also lights the fuse with authority).

Last edited:
in P.A. you can find anything.. When i was a kid there was a kid that said he got them from his uncle that was a cop somewhere, i guess he would take them from other kids i don't know but he got burned pretty bad and was in the hospital for a week because he was not careful. Wow that was a long long time ago!

Used to get Quarter sticks and half sticks from Mexico, they would set Dogs barking for miles.

But you did not hold it while you lit the fuse
31.gif

I remembwr firework wars fondly. Shooting oenny rockets at each other. Funniest one ever, launching penny rockets at each other, and we were too far away, I fired an artillery shell like a mortar and scared the [censored] out of a friend.

Scariest one ever, I was pouring a flammable substance onto some weeds in limestone while walking around our lake. A roman candle hit the beginnings...and the race was on. My big butt with a five gallon can of gas, sprinting to outrun the flames. Panicked and never thought to drop the can.

As for the paper fuses. A quarter second to ignute, wonder if my fingers are stilk fast enough to hold it and drop before being burnt.

My faves were always Thunder Bombs and the old school long skinny Bottle Rockets (do they even make those anymore?).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My faves were always Thunder Bombs and the old school long skinny Bottle Rockets (do they even make those anymore?).

Yep, just bought a bunch of the regular old bottle rockets. NC sells very little anymore but other states still sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back