Finally saved up and bought my 1st car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the above. Change the trans fluid, and if you are up for it, brake fluid and coolant. As always, make sure to change oil regularly.

Sounds like you got a good deal and it will serve you well.

low mileage too,,,should go at least 400k plus, looks good..congratulations,,,now wash,wax and spit shine the wheels and tires.....................

The broken stud should have more than enough room to come out; however, depending on the clearance, the new stud may have to be slightly shaved at the base to sneak it past the bearing assembly.

What oil & filter should i go with, going to be doing 2k a month miles.

Going to replace plugs,wipers,cabin,air filter and of course oil change tomorrow.

Hopefully in the next few weeks pickup some Honda ATF and change it out also.

Last edited:
[[Get it replaced asap. Replacing studs is well within the abilities of most DIY'rs. Tap the old one out, push the new one in from behind, use the lug nut to pull it the rest of the way in.]]

Unfortunately, this gen Civic does not allow an easy knock-out of the wheel studs. My daughter's 2001 (I think the same design axle, etc.) requires pulling apart the hub
mad.gif
to create enough clearance to get the old studs out and the new ones in. While there, you may want to consider replacing the wheel bearing (about $50 on Amazon).

It's a PITA. Don't mean to discourage you. It looks like you got a nice car that will still go the distance.

Maybe Trav or Critic have other ideas that might make this easier. I'd be glad to know if that repair needs to get done again.

I recall that THE biggest help in letting these transaxles live is to absolutely never let it shift from first to second gear at full or almost-full throttle.

Also always do drain and fills with the atf, never flush the trans per Honda. I'd also space the drain and fills 500 miles a part. As mentioned go easy on it.

I'd also replace the pcv valve with an oem unit since that often gets over looked.

Eric the Car guy has a video on how to do one similar to this. It's a bit controversial as you grind a bit off the stud and perhaps a bit of the knuckle, depending on your car.

Apparently Honda didn't design this with an easy to service access hole for wheel stud replacement. Seems to be a common issue on Honda vehicles.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
[[Get it replaced asap. Replacing studs is well within the abilities of most DIY'rs. Tap the old one out, push the new one in from behind, use the lug nut to pull it the rest of the way in.]]

Unfortunately, this gen Civic does not allow an easy knock-out of the wheel studs. My daughter's 2001 (I think the same design axle, etc.) requires pulling apart the hub
mad.gif
to create enough clearance to get the old studs out and the new ones in. While there, you may want to consider replacing the wheel bearing (about $50 on Amazon).

It's a PITA. Don't mean to discourage you. It looks like you got a nice car that will still go the distance.

Maybe Trav or Critic have other ideas that might make this easier. I'd be glad to know if that repair needs to get done again.

Don't pound on it. Keep the maintenance up. That's the cheapest way to keep a car and THAT'S the only thing you want to do with this car.

Don't do mods as they never pay off and frequently make you look like a jerk. Kira

Originally Posted By: rocky8314
What oil & filter should i go with, going to be doing 2k a month miles.

Going to replace plugs,wipers,cabin,air filter and of course oil change tomorrow.

Hopefully in the next few weeks pickup some Honda ATF and change it out also.

Regarding Oil and filter.....

I would suggest Mobil 1 EP 5w20 (or 0w20), with an OCI of 15K. If you vehicle still has the original manual....check to see what weight Honda recommends.

The Fram Ultra filter would be a perfect combination (good for 15K as well).

Both of the above can be purchased from WalMart or Amazon. The Mobil 1 oil has a $10 mail-in rebate going on for awhile.

First off, you deserve praise for having bought your own car with your own money.
I think you got a fair deal on this Civic. You need only get 25K out of it for it to make economic sense and you'll get much more than that.
The stud may not be all that easy to replace and you may end up removing the knuckle and taking the whole deal to a shop with a press to get it out. This won't be expensive, though.
Change the fluids just to baseline the car and go from there.
Opinions vary as to what ATF you should use.
Curry Acura in NJ used to offer great pricing on Honda/Acura ATF, so check that out online.
We've had eight Hondas over the years and have always liked them and had good experience with them.
Good luck with your new acquisition.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Hopefully you got the manual transmission because 2001/2002 were failure prone years for some AT civic

That was nmy next question. If it's an automatic I would suggest a drain and fill of the tranny fluid.

My wife's got a 97 civic and its been bullet proof.

What fluid did you use, does it have to be Honda?

It doesn't have to be Honda, even if some people swear by it. I use Valvoline Max life. Make sure you get a new crush washer.

Here's a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4cLj-uW94s

2002 civic ex with 133k , junior in HS...Paid $2500

Did i pay too much?

20160205_163319_1.jpg

WOW!! a 14yr old Honda, In MI, that doesn't have what I call "Honda Rust"!
It seems nearly every Honda i see down here, within a couple years from new, develops bubble rust at the seam between the plastic bumper and the qtr panel @ the rear wheel well.
that is impressive.

do the services first, the rest of SWAT can wait for later.
Service
Wheels & Tires
Audio & Alarm
Tint

I know you didn't say anything about those things, but i think we've all know enough teenagers who go crazy with that other stuff, and forget to keep it mechanically sound.

I had two of these. Both automatic, in both transmissions went out around your mileage (one at 124k and other at 140k) with no warning signs, but luckily for me - it was almost right after I sold the cars. Sucks for new owners though. Don't rape the cars, no quater mile times or 0-60 runs and you'll be alright. And stay on top of transmission fluid changes. I would do 3-5 initial drain&fills 500 miles apart, and then drain and fill every other oil change, if you change oil once per 5k miles like I do.

I am suspecting either the car does not have A/C or does not work. Car with working A/C here in summer would sell for lot more than $2500

Originally Posted By: earlyre

WOW!! a 14yr old Honda, In MI, that doesn't have what I call "Honda Rust"!
It seems nearly every Honda i see down here, within a couple years from new, develops bubble rust at the seam between the plastic bumper and the qtr panel @ the rear wheel well.
that is impressive.

do the services first, the rest of SWAT can wait for later.
Service
Wheels & Tires
Audio & Alarm
Tint
I know you didn't say anything about those things, but i think we've
all know enough teenagers who go crazy with that other stuff, and forget to keep it mechanically sound.

This isn't 2003 man, only hood rats and mexicans are still doing that stuff to old civics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back