filter from my 2013 ford edge 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning,
Doing my first oil change, what filter should I put on her? I bought a MC, could some one confirm the number I should use? Also, the MC looks small, does size matter(ha ha)? Do bigger filters do better?

Thanks,
Zeus

You have a 2013 vehicle; did you lose the owner's manual already and you don't know what to use?
Put on any properly spec'd filter from any brand you trust.
All the major makers have websites that will allow you to select the correct filter for your application.

You'd have to define what "better" means to you.
How much "bigger" is "better" to you? Certainly installation/operation physical constraints will limit your potential here.
Will a bigger filter result in less wear in typical real world aplications? Not that any credible study can show.
Will a bigger filter result in potential warranty issues and legal battles should the unthinkable happen? Yes there is certainly probability here.
Will a bigger filter help you sleep well at night? I have no idea.

You define what "better" means to you, and then you can answer your own question.

Last edited:
Motorcraft is the way to go for a Ford IMO, and they are a great choice for a lot of other makes too if your vehicle takes an "S" series.

If you want to do longer OCI's something like a Tough Guard would be a reasonable ROI IMO but you probably don't need to.

Fram's look up says the Motorcraft you should have is the FL-500s. Is that what you bought? If so I'd use it in a heartbeat.

KCJeep is right, it will take an FL500S. I use motorcraft filters on all kinds of stuff. Vehicles, lawn mower, tractor. They seem to be a great filter for the price.

^ Or buy the MC filter directly from Walmart for a constant sub $4 price range.
wink.gif

Referencing the online manual (http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13edgom4e.pdf), your vehicle does indeed take a Motorcraft 500S. It's the OEM filter, and really is ideal for your application.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
^ Or buy the MC filter directly from Walmart for a constant sub $4 price range.
wink.gif

Referencing the online manual (http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13edgom4e.pdf), your vehicle does indeed take a Motorcraft 500S. It's the OEM filter, and really is ideal for your application.
FL500S isn't $4 at Walmart. AAP with codes is the cheapest place I've seen.

Yupp Motorcraft Oil filter very good.. I like the BYPASS better then NAPA b.c its all one in 1. The napa Bypass sits on top of the oil filter metal to metal , no seal... oil could leak by.... the Motorcraft is all in 1.. the bypass on the top is built onto the Steal end cap... great ideal IMO.

Cant go wrong with MC oil filter on any car IMO

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
MC FTW, especially on a Ford.

Absolutely.

Or you could go to the dealer to purchase your filter and knowingly get the correct one.

I buy all of my filters from my dealer, cheaper than I could buy them from anywhere else, and I don't have to worry about someone replacing a different filter in the box.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Or you could go to the dealer to purchase your filter and knowingly get the correct one.

I buy all of my filters from my dealer, cheaper than I could buy them from anywhere else, and I don't have to worry about someone replacing a different filter in the box.
True. WM got me a couple weeks ago. First time I've bought a filter from WM in years. Purolator 14477 box. Some other filter. Didn't look at it until I had it out ready to screw it onto the mower.
mad.gif

^^^ I looked at filters at Walmart today. Opened a TG to see what it looked like for the Altima. There was an EG in the box instead. Always inspect oil filters before buying.

An MC filter is the hands down best choice for your Ford Edge, plus it's OEM. I'm running a FL-400S on my Pontiac right now. Great build for the price. $4.09 @ AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back