FelPro vs OEM valve cover gasket

B/A and Fel Pro are both owned by Federal Mogul. Let us know if the gaskets are the same. Sometimes the B/A parts are sourced from OE/OEM vendors.
I don't want to fight with the wiring harness in a few years so I order these oem today for the MDX and use Felpro Cover Grommets as well. Will use the beautiful blue gasket for the Accord. Will store the extra set of oem gaskets for the RDX.

12351-R70-A00GASKET, RR. HEAD COVER
2​
14.07​
$28.14​
12341-R70-A00Gasket, Front Head Cover
2​
14.07​
$28.14​
12342-RYE-004SEAL, SPARK PLUG TUBE (NOK)
9​
2.59​
$23.31​
12341-R40-A00Gasket, Head Cover
1​
12.63​
$12.63​
91307-RCA-A01O-Ring (10.2X1.8)
1​
2.08​
$2.08​
91308-RCA-A01O-Ring (14.8X1.8)
1​
3.26​
$3.26​
15613-R70-A00Gasket, Oil Filler
1​
2.33​
$2.33​
Subtotal
$99.89​
Shipping
$10.36​
Total
$110.25​
Not sure which yr your RDX is, but the 16/17 RDX use a different part number than what you have listed.

Edit: if you remove the harness bolt (the one that attaches to the Mount bracket), the harness is more manageable.

Interesting. I just looked at the 2015 vs 2016. The gaskets are different. Mine is 2015 which uses the same gasket as the 11 MDX. I'm going to try to remove the PS pump, injector cables, to clear the area for valves clearance check since I'm already there. Hoping not much adjustment needed.

Normally I could care less about which valve cover brand, EXCEPT when talking about a Toyota V6. Because I just don’t want to have to do that rear bank twice. So perhaps OE is something I’d consider, but that’s not a definite, but I’d definitely give it some thought.

I found that in many(not all) Asian vehicle applications, wherever a gasket is prescribed, a cross-cross-dot-dot of Permatex Grey in a few spots is required too.

(Speaking from Nissan experience)

Check your FSM if available.

B/A and Fel Pro are both owned by Federal Mogul. Let us know if the gaskets are the same. Sometimes the B/A parts are sourced from OE/OEM vendors.
FelPro spark plug seals feel more pliable and cleaner than B/A. It's like comparing snow tires to all season tires. They look and feel like a better quality product than B/A. FelPro is made in China vs B/A is made in Japan. The bottom two are FelPro.

Attachments

• 2021-04-23.jpg
    2021-04-23.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 34
FelPro spark plug seals feel more pliable and cleaner than B/A. It's like comparing snow tires to all season tires. They look and feel like a better quality product than B/A. FelPro is made in China vs B/A is made in Japan. The bottom two are FelPro.
OE ones feel fairly hard and always have. I bet the B/A ones are reboxed Stone.

I've had very good luck with FelPro gaskets, and wouldn't hesitate to use them. As already mentioned proper prep and nice clean surfaces are very important, as is not over-tightening to the point where parts are damaged [like the valve cover, pan, etc.] or the gasket is ruined.

Yes...Asian cars can only use OE parts exclusively, never ever use an aftermarket part.. Even the air in the tires, you should only use OE air to inflate your tires...🙄
Yes, and report to dealership seasonally to get factory approved summer and winter air or a custom nitrogen blend in your tires. 🤑

I never sweated any repair using either Felpro or Mahle. But some Asian applications can be instalation, cleanliness and additional sealant sensitive. Just pay attention to the details.

Keep a torque wrench handy, or borrow one. Clean up surfaces well. If required, I couldn't make the most stringent Asian or European seal replacement leak if I tried... if I gooped the corners or spots requiring additional silicone sealant utilizing Permatex Grey or Hondabond.

You want seals snugged to spec. Not crushed into oblivion. In my current application, steel studs sink into aluminum heads. The studs have flanged ends, so they only should go so deep. Then you torque to an inch-pound spec. No more, no less. You won't flatten the gaskets, but if you go all Gorrilla gonzo, you'll either snap a stud in the head or strip the hole...*very* easily.

Surface prep and cleanliness in my case will be key to a very successful repair. No additional sealant needed. All the old gummy oil and brittle gasket material however, must be completely removed.

Back