FelPro vs OEM valve cover gasket

I have a front valve cover leak on my Highlander and wanted to know the forums recommendations on OEM vs FelPro valve cover gaskets
Prefer to go OEM although they don't come with plug tube seals but FelPro provides the whole set for much cheap (usually we pay for quality)
Any recommendations of these gaskets to make a decision and get this job behind me

Make sure you also replace the spark plugs (NGK ruthenium is worth considering, if they ship from the same warehouse) and the intake plenum gasket and anything else you have to do while you're in there. The job is almost impossible!

Mahle ad Fel-Pro are both good stuff.

Unless Fel-Pro's quality has gone downhill lately, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. They have been the top dog in aftermarket gaskets seemingly forever.
Nothing wrong with FelPro, Victor Reinz, Mahle. I think you may find the OE gaskets reboxed. I cant swear to that in this case but I have seen it many times.
Lots of Fel-Pro issues lately in the technician groups, I suggest OE only.
I also recall the Fel-Pro gaskets in some of the Toyota V6 applications being slightly more narrow than the OE gasket. As a result, the gasket does not stay in the groove, which is a pain during install.

Going by Critic's response. OEM gasket done!! How could $12 FelPro be the same as a $44 OEM gasket. I am only doing the front the rear is almost impossible and if it leaks (which should happen soon) it will be my mechanic who will tackle that task (no ordinary job you need a strong back).
Now do i need to do the plug tube seals, some UTubers has passed this step and just done the gasket alone.

BTW I am almost certain its the front gasket - saw oil on the sides of the pan and compressor. Originally though it was the PS fluid but it wasn't the case, but there was oil on the bango joint as well. So the leak is almost certainly on the left side to the top next to the timing cover, the valve cover is sandwitched against the timer cover so its almost impossible to root cause the leak from the top.

I've used a good number of FelPro gaskets(often sold under the Payen name for my uses, but they are exactly the same).

In particular, the Payen/FelPro head gasket is the perferred gasket for one application where I actually use a decent number of head gaskets(not because of failure, but because I need the head off for some other reason). In that case, the OEM equivalent is copper, while the Payen/FelPro is steel selectively covered in a composite type material with an extra thick firing ring around the cylinder. I'm sure a lot of OEM HGs now are made that way, but there again it's a significant upgrade to what was originally on these engines.

I've had many valve cover gaskets, side cover gaskets, and others from them. All are excellent, and again my preferred supplier.

You mean the $12 one may leak like the $44 on there now? Some dealer parts have an outrageous markup, this is one of them.

Actually I am OK paying the markup because it one less thing to think through after its done. There is no price for peace of mind.

I put a Fel-Pro valve cover gasket on my 06 Tacoma with a 2.7L. It wasn't terribly long ago, but so far so good.
I don't know that I would use them again, simply because it was made in China.
That doesn't bother many people...more power to them; to each his own.
It bothers me enough to the point that I am willing to pay more for something made elsewhere.

Suggested thing to do; Ignition coils, Upstream O2, and VVT solenoids, intake and exhaust, and clean the VVT filter/screen, all for bank 1, being some ideas of what you could replace being the difficulty of getting at them otherwise. Not sure of the 3.3, but on the 3.5, yes, and possibly the injectors on that side too.

I put a Fel-Pro valve cover gasket on my 06 Tacoma with a 2.7L. It wasn't terribly long ago, but so far so good.
I don't know that I would use them again, simply because it was made in China.
That doesn't bother many people...more power to them; to each his own.
It bothers me enough to the point that I am willing to pay more for something made elsewhere.

Made in China or some other country is not exclusive to aftermarket parts only many dealer parts are now made in China. Go and find a lower engine (R/F) mount for a GM 3800 that is not made in China. It may bother you but if want the car to drive you will have to live with it, no other option exist.
With China being the largest car market in the world and the largest producer of automobiles I dare say it is going to be more often than not that the part you buy will be Chicom.

I hate it as much as you or anyone else does but it is what it is like it or not.

Suggested thing to do; Ignition coils, Upstream O2, and VVT solenoids, intake and exhaust, and clean the VVT filter/screen, all for bank 1, being some ideas of what you could replace being the difficulty of getting at them otherwise. Not sure of the 3.3, but on the 3.5, yes, and possibly the injectors on that side too.

No sense in replacing coil pack or other parts unless its needed. If you do injectors, if needed, they need to be done as a complete set.

Guys, I am only working on the front VC and not the back. I have no intention of upsetting the balance on a 210K mile car by adding parts etc etc when it could very well last another 2 yrs before it falls of the hwy. I have taken care of the vehicle very well with good oil and good gas. My goal is to fix a leak in the front and possibly a leak in the back when it comes up- at that time I shall replace the plugs and possibly the intake gasket. Thats about it... no point ploughing monies into a old car.

Back