Favorite/worst things about your daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Civic EX coupe

Likes-fuel economy (40-45 MPG highway), reliability, styling, handling (it has Tein lowering springs on it), I can take it ANYWHERE and not worry about it (it's been to NYC, Washington DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Buffalo and hasn't been stolen or messed with yet)
smile.gif

Dislikes-peeling clearcoat on roof, when it rains the driver's side carpet gets soaking wet

2000 Cherokee:

-Peppy 4.0L engine (cable throttle with low end torque)
-Easy to park and great visibility
-Lots of room for cargo
-Great in the snow
-I sit higher up than a sedan
-Pretty reliable
-If it breaks I can probably fix it in my driveway
-Comfortable (I've installed front seats from a Grand Cherokee)
-Handles well for an SUV (thicker sway bars front and rear, better shocks)

Dislikes:
-The brakes aren't anything to write home about
-The cabin is somewhat loud (my tires aren't the quietest either)
-It isn't the most relaxing thing to drive at highway speeds or on long trips

08 Mazda6i
Pros: handling, lability insurance, still good looking inside-out; overall impression, feels like more expensive car for what it is
Cons: underpowered

16 CR-V
Pros: space, sitting position, torque, MPGs, residual value
Cons: feels cheap inside, highway driving, and payments

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: Bud
My Pilot is comfortable, can haul lots of stuff, and has been reliable so far
Least liked is the wind noise above 50 mph.

Almost forgot the horrible horn. Sounds like a moose with a head cold.

+1
Our CRV too, with so tiny and high pitch!

99 Lesabre
LIkes: series II 3800 has plenty of power, rides nice, easy on the wallet, heats and cools well, handles well if you drive normal.

Dislikes: rocker panels are rusting out, a bit hard to get in and out of but I notice a lot of sedan's are like that, but once in plenty of room, looks like old people's car, oh wait I am old.....

89 K1500
Likes: V8, 4x4, standard cab so it heats/cools fast, good over all solid truck.

Dislikes: gas milage, takes 20 seconds for 4x4 to engage, rides like a pickup.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
1988 Dodge Aries
Good:Always starts,great off the line acceleration,light steering,easy handling,consistent gas mileage,very safe braking (try to lock a wheel in a panic stop...nope),lowest door shutting effort of any car.Seeming resilience to rust even in the salt belt.
Bad:High RPMs on the highway (over 3K),engine noise at high speeds,slow to downshift transmission,fuel economy could be better,short life of exhaust components,upper cylinder head oil seepage.Wind whistles (old worn door seals).

Had to
grin.gif

That was AWESOME!
laugh.gif

2008 toyota Avalon.
like: 1. it is very quick when i mash the pedal. open road MPG 22-26, it doesnt need a lot of repairs, its payed for, its easy to park, i just drove 50 + miles in the Kansas wind 40-50 at 70 MPH, and it did real good, i left the drivers door open over night the battery still started the engine.

dis like: 1. when i punch the throttle the right front tire starts pounding the pavement and spinning. i ran the tire pressure to 40 so now it spin's but doesnt pound the pavement. heater controls are flat plastic hard to find in the dark. the suspension is mushy i compensate with 40 psi tire pressure,

'02 F150:

• King Ranch Leather interior
  • it is paid for
  • has the 5.4 v8
  • Drives and rides pretty well

Dislikes:
  • it is almost 17 years old
  • uses a qt of oil every 1500 miles
  • lots of rattles and noises
  • always seems to be a little something needing to be done to it
  • looks like poop on the outside

Tina is the daily driver, 2001 toyota echo. Best thing about her is she's cheap and easy. Just a speedo and a fuel gauge, nothing else.

Subrina is the grocery getter weekend warrior now. 2010 subaru sti. Fun and sexy as heck. But oh so complicated and expensive.

Honda 2012 Odyssey minivan:
Pro: Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Have replaced brake pads, battery, tires and had regularly scheduled maintenance, but that's it. Never a thing wrong with it, will drive it until the wheels fall off. Great for annual vacation trip to Outer Banks.
Con: Fun To Drive Factor is pretty low. Handles like a school bus around the turns.

Mercedes 2000 CLK320 convertible:
Pro: Car still runs strong and transmission works perfectly. Good looking car.
Con: The mechanical retractable top system didn't work the last time she tried to use it last summer. But it can be manually raised or lowered. One more thing on my To Do list. Have replaced valve cover gasket twice due to leaks. Must be a weak point there. I don't care for the rattles and squeaks that go along with a convertible top. There is a parasitic drain on the battery I need to track down.

Mercedes 1987 300E
Pro: Love that M103 inline 6 in the W124 chassis. The last model run of the old style Mercedes. Lots of room under the hood, which makes it DIY friendly for plugs, wires, distributor and rotor changes. Not a lot of electronics to deal with compared to modern cars. Hard to believe this car is 31 years old. Remarkable build quality all around. Got it about a year ago with only 75,000 miles on it.
Con: Wish the bulbs in instrument cluster were brighter. Only gets about 20 miles per gallon. Wife drove it through car wash without lowering the antenna. Now antenna won't go up. Need to change the serpentine belt soon, which is kind of a pain in the neck on the M103.

Last edited:
07 BMW 335i Sport, 191,500 miles

Pro:
-300 ft/lb at 1400 rpm, and a transmission that happy to keep the revs below 2000 even when hustling. Low rear end keeps the revs way down on the highway. BUT absolutely screams at the top end and sounds great. Best of both worlds.
- amazing chassis. Nimble beyond explanation.
- 13.5" brakes give so much confidence
- Ergonomic, logical layout.
- Highway mileage can be almost 30 mpg if kept below 80 mph
- Absolutely amazing on 300-500 mile drives at high speeds. It's more like piloting than driving.

Con:
- Let's play "What's leaking this week?!"
- In town mileage is like 14. I mean, 87 octane won't hurt, right?
- Frost heaves and the sport package are a BAD MIX. Anxiety producing and painful.
- Car came from LA. Looks good but no cold weather package. No bueno! And never again!
- Anxiety caused by wondering what and when the next component failure will be. Will I need that 15th fuel injector? The water pump has been in there 80k... Do I even care about that new oil stain?

Last edited:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Pros: Great of gas-never left me anywhere in 10 years of ownership...

Cons: Quirkiest car I have ever owned, it is like a moody woman! Not the best for long trips....

2016 Dodge Challenger Pros = Comfortable ride, fast yet good gas mileage, reliable, looks better (disclaimer: IMO) better than any car on the road.
Cons = Poor rear visibility (but has backup cam and park assist), 6 speed transmission (this car doesn't need 6 speeds and I would rather have 5).

Y2K Mustang GT Pros = not much money invested in car and has decent power/driveability with4.6 V-8 and automatic transmission, extremely reliable, good daily driver.
Cons = 2016 Challenger gets better gas mileage as well as much more power, car overall a little too small, seats could be better.

Favorite things about it?
Practical with good cargo space and roof racks. Bikes, skis, GT snow racers, hockey bags, 2 sets of 17" tires, 180lb dogs all fit in.
Not a bad drivers car with excellent steering feel and neutral handling, cable throttle, mtx with good ratios and shift feel, weighs ~2700lb
Seems to be fairly cheap to run, no expensive repairs so far, cheap tire size, decent gas mileage 30-35mpg.
Heated seats, AC works, sunroof works.
At this stage the car's value is mostly in not having to buy something new(er) so I just use it without much care for a scratch or scuff inside.

Things I don't like,
5th gear could be a lot taller then near 40mpg could be possilbe
The interior has grown a few rattles over the years
The stereo isn't great
It's not rwd.
Motor feels pretty good until you drive the Mazda3 version with VVT above 5k rpm...
The springs and shocks could be a touch stiffer.
It has trouble putting power down in the lower speed corners in autocross.

2005 Audi allroad -

Likes - twin turbo V6 with the boost turned up, manual 6 speed transmission, full time REAL all-wheel drive, fits my whole family with cargo room to spare, adjustable air suspension so I can have the car at a height that's comfortable for me to get in and out, no payments, 17" non low profile tires (cheap), maintenance (not repairs) is fairly easy even the timing belt, it's green outside and inside so doesn't look like anything else out there, oil changes are super easy, always puts a smile on my face bombing down the on ramp to the interstate (feels like a 1/4 mile dragstrip).

Dislikes - terrible gas mileage (trans and rear diff are geared high to allow decent off road capability), control arms don't last very long, front camber is not adjustable so inside shoulders of the tires wear out quicker (just drive harder in the corners), engine is known to leak oil like a sieve and mine is not the exception so always replacing gaskets, most repair procedures are Step 1 - Remove engine.

It teeters between - I love driving a wagon that can hold its own against other vehicles and why am I spending my Saturday again laying on my back under this POS car? My kids love the darn thing, so that keeps me from sending it down the road for something more user friendly.

2002 530i:

- smooth inline-6 engine
- stick shift

Dislikes:
- electrics/electronics tend to break and are not cheap to fix
- exhaust note is too tame

36292766696_62bc5e6b31_z.jpg

2003 Golf TDI, ALH, 5-speed
Pros: 42-45 MPG, good handling, reliable and rust-free for first 690k miles
Cons: not as pretty as it used to be, needs occasional TLC from TDI mechanic who fortunately is nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back