Favorite/worst things about your daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bus (public transit)

Pros: Fixed monthly operating costs, always ready and available when I need it, never have to wait for it to "warm up" as the heaters are always blasting when I get on, cute female 20-somethings who sometimes come and stand really close to me (I usually stand by the rear doors as I spend most of my day sitting anyway), interesting and attractively-dressed females who seem to always have an endless supply of nice clothes!

Cons: Stinky homeless people on the evening commute....I think that's about it
smile.gif

Overall, I find that commuting by bus at the time of day I do, is more enjoyable than it was when I was commuting with my Focus to the old job.
...oh and the pay is 20% higher
thumbsup2.gif

2002 Lincoln Continental with 81K miles.

Dislikes: It's a royal pain to access the side mounted engine accessories.

Knock on wood though. Nothing major has yet gone wrong with the car.

2010 Yaris sedan (bought new in Feb 2011)

Pros: more reliable then gravity, excellent MPG, tons of room, fun to drive

Cons: dash looks to be made out of recycled Dell computers (not that I really care)

t...amp;oe=5B070C34

2014 M235i

Likes: 330 lb-ft of torque from 1300-4500 rpm, brilliant ZF 8HP45 automatic, adjustable shock damping, powerful brakes, 26+ mpg, great seats, intuitive telematics, functional voice recognition, decent H-K audio, doesn't attract the attention of law enforcement

Dislikes: Moonroof(it has one), no PDC(parking sensors), no LSD(yet)

'16 Camry LE pros: Goes great and its only a 2.5 4 banger. Gets about 35 MPG Hiway. Pretty impressed with build quality and Toyota' rep in general.

Cons: its so bland, its vanilla. Books on CD are a definite must. The Borman 6 had soul, The " Fridge " has snooze
grin2.gif

2005 Hyuudai Sonata:

Good: easy to drive, reliable, good fuel economy
Bad: horn sounds like it was made by Fisher Price, dome light button on light instead of dsahboard

07 Lexus IS250 2.5L

Love: Handling, sleek looks, reliability, 6 speed manual tranny (remember those)

Like: MPG (31.2)

Dislike: Interior room, esp backseat

Hate: Ride is almost as bad as my former Tacoma TRD 4x4

1988 Dodge Aries
Good:Always starts,great off the line acceleration,light steering,easy handling,consistent gas mileage,very safe braking (try to lock a wheel in a panic stop...nope),lowest door shutting effort of any car.Seeming resilience to rust even in the salt belt.
Bad:High RPMs on the highway (over 3K),engine noise at high speeds,slow to downshift transmission,fuel economy could be better,short life of exhaust components,upper cylinder head oil seepage.Wind whistles (old worn door seals).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
1988 Dodge Aries
Good:Always starts,great off the line acceleration,light steering,easy handling,consistent gas mileage,very safe braking (try to lock a wheel in a panic stop...nope),lowest door shutting effort of any car.Seeming resilience to rust even in the salt belt.
Bad:High RPMs on the highway (over 3K),engine noise at high speeds,slow to downshift transmission,fuel economy could be better,short life of exhaust components,upper cylinder head oil seepage.Wind whistles (old worn door seals).

Had to
grin.gif

Last edited:
Colorado...love it.

but HATE the "courtesy" feature that opens the front windows 3" every time you open the door. Drops rain on your lap, has been the subject of a recall (replacement rubbers don't fit as well as the factory)...and can guarantee that it will cause somethign to wear out prematuraly.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Colorado...love it.

but HATE the "courtesy" feature that opens the front windows 3" every time you open the door. Drops rain on your lap, has been the subject of a recall (replacement rubbers don't fit as well as the factory)...and can guarantee that it will cause somethign to wear out prematuraly.

Usually, 'features' like that can be programmed off, by the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Bud
My Pilot is comfortable, can haul lots of stuff, and has been reliable so far
Least liked is the wind noise above 50 mph.

Almost forgot the horrible horn. Sounds like a moose with a head cold.

2009 Prius:

Reliable, not bad for my phase of life, has a decent amount of space, good gas mileage even I'm not even remotely trying to hypermile. Surprisingly not bad to work on.

Dislikes:
I feel like a [censored] Uber driver or Star Wars geek when I drive it, it looks like an Ugg boot on 4 wheels. Typical Toyota boring.

Last edited:
2007 Honda Element 2.4 (K24)
Dislikes:Too much cheesy plastic trim on exterior, needs a couple more inches of ground clearance and Honda's iffy transaxles (so far so good).
Likes: Cargo space (at 6'1" I can sleep in it on my outdoor excursions), ride, seats, smooth engine, pretty much everything not listed above.

Well I switch off between the Mercedes and Honda, so here goes for both...

Honda Favorites:
-Highway MPGs
-V6 power
-Been driving it nearly a decade and no trouble, so reliability is top notch (but I have been fanatical about maintenance, BITOG Syndrome)
-Surprisingly good stereo
-Steering wheel controls for radio
-Trunk space
-Interior material quality, all of it still looks almost brand new after all these years and ~130k miles
-Ease of regular maintenance items, 5AT drain and fills are ridiculously simple
-Great cup holders
-Huge trunk

Honda Dislikes:
-FWD/torque steer, especially in rain
-Minor oil consumption after 100k, I know common on Honda, going up to 5w30 HM oil has gotten it to under half a quart in 5k so very minor now
-VERY sensitive brake pedal
-Funky 5-speed auto behavior common to the 7th gen v6 5AT
-Lightly constructed overall, feels a lot less sturdy than the Benz

Mercedes Favorites:
-V8 power
-Feels like a solid piece of steel, built like a tank. I'm sure it's much safer than the Accord
-Reliability, again I'm maintenance OCD but it was a Starmark car in 2004 and has been reliable ever since
-Bone chilling air conditioning
-Highway driving manners, it's so difficult to keep this thing under 80mph with the V8 and famous Mercedes highway-friendly driving dynamics
-Seat and driving position comfort, especially on long drives. One of the few cars with adequate leg AND shoulder room for me
-V8 engine sound
-Styling, it's an '02 CLK with the AMG package, but still looks great today and looks brand new when cleaned up, the silver pain shines like a mirror
-Awesome brake stopping power
-Easy oil changes up top, even though it takes [censored] near 9qts of 0W40
-Good size trunk for a coupe

Mercedes Dislikes:
-V8 thirst, it's "ok" on the highway, but terrible MPGs around town as expected
-Atrocious in the ice, it's decent in the rain but any snow or ice completely confuses its traction control
-Some parts are expensive, and it has a lot of "extras," two air filters, 16 spark plugs, etc.
-Low front end fascia, makes it easy to run up on parking stops
-Had the "sealed" Mercedes AT, so it's more complicated to change the ATF
-In 2001 they took away the torque converter drain, a minor gripe but being OCD I wish it was still there (now I just change it in about half the factory interval to make up for it)
-A bit low to get in and out of for taller people
-Can't rotate tires with the AMG wheels, so it like to go through tires

2010 Ford Fusion SE. it’s paid for, it’s comfortable and reliable, has good power with the V6, good mileage if you drive easy. Awesome custom stereo

Cons are: the ex-wife wrecked the front end and bent two rims (1 left to replace). Passenger side wiper likes to chatter in light rain and it doesn’t have a roof mounted .50 BMG to deal with the moronic mouth-breathers on their phones.

05 Baja

Likes -- Paid for along time ago, handles flawlessly in inclement weather even with minimal traction on tires, 5 speed, good visibility, reliable.

Dislikes -- cheesy interior, factory stereo, revs to high on freeway going 70mph

17 Jetta

Likes -- its brand new, power is great paired with the 6 speed automatic

Dislike -- PAYMENTS!!!

That's about the 3rd time I've seen that Aries video. This time, I saw it coming and STILL laughed 'til my stomach hurt
grin2.gif

92 Honda Accord - Likes - fun to drive, very reliable, super cheap to own, attractive looks, something "different" than the sea of newer cars around here.
Dislikes - windshield wipers have only one intermittent setting. Headlights are horrible; using high beams is a must on the dark roads around here.

04 Honda CR-V - Likes - manual transmission, much better gas mileage than a truck-based SUV, small practical size yet has tons of cargo room, comfortable seating position and good visibility, steering and handling are very good
Dislikes - rust, windshield wipers again have only one intermittent speed, terrible sounding factory stereo (although I've already replaced the head unit, and will be upgrading the speakers soon), stupid drum-in-rotor parking brake setup that is a major pain to adjust properly, fuel range could be better

06 Ford Ranger - likes - Lots of power/great acceleration for a truck, reliable, great 4wd, extremely useful and practical vehicle, not a huge vehicle that's a pain to park, very capable vehicle that can carry and tow a lot of weight, attractive looks, extended cab is useful for storing tools, ratchet straps and recovery gear, rubber floor is easy to clean
Dislikes - gas mileage and fuel range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back