Favorite paint from big box stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I know we've talked about paint quite a bit over the years, but what's your favorite brand from places like Lowes or Home Depot?

The reason I ask is, I'm almost done painting one of our bedrooms and I used Valspar Signature series high-hiding paint + primer, like I have many times in the past. I'm covering a very light pink with a much darker pink/red. The coverage is horrible! It's taken three coats. Even the ultra white ceiling paint covered marginally, and this room's previous paint job is only 5-6yrs old. This paint doesn't seem quite as thick as it used to be and it certainly isn't covering like it has in the past for me. I don't use cheap rollers and brushes either.

Years ago, before Lowes came into play in my area, I used a lot of Behr brand paints and had excellent service with them. I've also used a lot of Benjamin-Moore, but the price always killed me. Maybe that extra $20/gal is a must anymore.

I'm assuming they've cheaped out on the formulations for the sake of profits?

I used to like Valspar's older versions versus the newer stuff. Benjamin Moore is easily my favorite but I agree the price is getting a little tough to swallow. Behr is a good in between at HD that I also like to paint with.

96 cent rattle cans from walmart /98 cent lowes. Paint car parts and the Beretta with it.
laugh.gif

There is a huge mark-up on house paint to the non commercial consumer. My typical TRADE price is about -53% for most products. The reason for this is, if you see a member of the public in a paint store buying buying a gallon of paint for the bedroom, humming and harring about the colours, wanting the colour matched to a pillowslip etc. Then returning the paint to say it dosent match!!

I'm not saying all paint is the same, people do have their favourites. But remember a premium high hide product can save you the application of a extra coat!

THE BIG THING! Most of the time the differance between a good paint job and a bad one is IN THE PREP.

In general, Red doesn't cover very well.
Once, I did red as an accent wall in my den. It took four coats and over a gallon of paint to do it. I didn't use cheap stuff either.
I have come to the conclusion that grade of paint is more important than brand. I have used the best grade of store brand paint and have been happier than using the name brands.
I have had excellent luck with Behr paints.
My favorite brand is Martin Senour paint. It is pretty much unobtainable around here any more.

I like the paint from the paint stores better than the big box stores. Ask for a discount !

Behr typically comes out very well in most tests done by Consumer Reports. But a company could rate great in one color and less than great in another color.

Labor is the largest cost in a paint job. Don't cheap out with the paint.

I've had great luck with Behr. Great coverage and cleanability. I tried Sherwin Williams in one of my rooms, but it marked up way too easily. The SW paint was more than twice the price of the Behr too.

Behr used to be bad, now I'd recommend their Premium Plus Ultra with little hesitation - but once you use stuff from Benjamin Moore or Kelly-Moore, it's hard to go back. Some of Behr's colors just don't stay "vibrant" for long.

Also, keep in mind many big-box paint brands might very well be relabeled or tweaked - PPG now owns Glidden, Flood and Ralph Lauren Paint and they make Olympic - and they also supply Wal-Mart. Kilz is under the Behr umbrella. Sherwin-Williams or Valspar supplies Lowe's and Ace, S-W also makes Dutch Boy and Pratt & Lambert.

Last edited:
Its pretty crazy, but I was really upset with quality and customer service at Home Depot, long story short I was expecting to speak with experts and the employees were nothing of the sort.

Tried out HD stuff, wasn't good enough at all. Couldn't color match. Low quality Behr paint.

Went to Wal-Mart, bought comparable stuff, they color matched what I wanted. Extremely affordable (obviously). I buy all of my painting accessories there anyway because its cheaper (tape, degreaser, sealant, rollers, brushes, etc) so getting it all at WalMart just makes sense for me.

I have a Menards, and I buy a lot of Pittsburgh paint from them.

I haven't used anything from Valspar/Lowes in years. We do have a Home Depot, but I can't stand the store. Little selection and high prices.

Yeah, I own a bunch of rentals and while I get most stuff at the big box stores, I hate getting paint there, only in an emergency. Normally I just do Sherwin Williams. Remember, it's also the type of paint you get. Normally I get Super Paint which is one step below their Duration. They got other cheaper contractor grades, but they're not as good. I did use superpaint once on a dark red. Covered in one coat. I was amazed and happy that I didn't have to pay my handyman for putting on a 2nd coat. The extra money that you spend on paint, you more than make up for in labor. And don't skimp on the paint too, I see some people try to put it on too thin and then wonder later why it doesn't cover.

Used to use a Valspar Paint from the local Fleet Farm and it worked well enough. They've switched brands. Otherwise, Behr has generally worked OK. Prefer to use Hirschfields (local brand) when able...

And Red can be a very tough color. Lots of coats to hide things, like previous colors.

My parents had a red wall I painted 10 years ago, I used Glidden's gray Gripper primer and Kelly-Moore matched to a Behr color. It looked good.

My dad repainted a more subdued color in Ben Moore Regal Select and it was able to hide it.

Forget the hassle and just go to Sherwin Williams, buy their mid-grade paint (plenty good), and ask for a discount. You gotta ask.

Or wait for their 30-40% mark downs....or look for a coupon online.

I think the "Very Berry" color is most of the hassle. Brutal when you have to 3-coat the cut-in areas even. Ugh.. Any new color schemes will be dad approved from now on.

I painted my house with DutchBoy DuraWeather from Menards about 6 years ago. What a mistake! It was light brown and has faded to a horrible peach color. Adhesion is fine though.

Just painted a small barn this fall with Valspar Aspire from Ace Hardware. Seems like a quality paint so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back