Favorite driving/cruising music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was at Uni, and driving back to Canberra after the 10PM finish of lectures on Friday Night, or driving back Sunday night, I had all my metal tapes.

Priest, Dokken, Ratt, Rush, Maiden, Def Leppard.

Had a lot of 60 (or 90) minute cassettes that I'd made into compilation albums, and the late night drives were things like Red Alert, Distant Early Warning...watch "Near Dark" the vampire movie (one of my absolute faves) and listen to the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream...it was that sort of surreal thing.

Another surreal diving experience was my Meaternal Grandmother's funeral, about 11 years ago.

Driving from Lithgow to Daylesford, through some heavily burned out bush and farmland, with an IceHouse "Great Southern Land" EP playing...came across two side by side padocks, in the middle of ashes. One Patterson's Curse, the other Canola...two paddocks in the blackened waste, one bright purple, one bright yellow.

That's Oz for you.

Edit, found the only surviving satchel from my Uni days in the recent move...there were three of them, this was the least of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Classic Rock, Soft Rock, Modern Jazz & Alternative

I forgot to mention that I also like audio books. I find them very relaxing as well as keeping me awake on long out of state trips.

I forgot to mention that I also like audio books. I find them very relaxing as well as keeping me awake on long out of state trips.

Yes these days it's Podcasts for me, almost exclusively.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Any old Rock n' Roll.
grin.gif

Yep, and for me late 60's.

Originally Posted By: SR5
"Jesus Built My Hotrod” by Ministry. The original promo copies were accompanied by a free quart of motor oil.

I always ended up speeding like crazy when "Ulcer Breakout" would pop up in the rotation on my now defunct iPod..."Ever go so fast you could die? Got to be at least 500 inches! Cubic inches, on a certified quarter mile run!" Gibby Haynes from the BHole Surfers sang (if you want to call it that) on "Jesus Built My Hotrod".

My daughter used to laugh like crazy while I bounced in my seat while "Living After Midnight" by Judas Priest played, and their "Freewheel Burning" is also a great driving song.

Some station around Boston used to have a late night show that played really unusual, spacey metal without any DJ commentary...used to catch it fairly often driving home from the Red Sox or poker games. I wish I knew what some of those songs were...

I also used to love to listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor while driving.

Classic Rock, Soft Rock, Modern Jazz & Alternative

On a long drive , the radio just turns into white noise .

I stay awake much better when I am interested in an audio book .

Cruising....

or maybe...

I just can't decide.

Faster longer range stuff in the Scottish Highlands, like on my regular run from Edinburgh to Tarbert Loch Fyne...long sweepers through the mountain pines in the rain...

(Deep Forest Album 1992 - cant get the links to work)

Last edited:
Classical when driving through the mountains.
Too much rock music beats me down through a long day's driving, but I carry Rush, Heart, Kansas, Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd in the truck. Stream Yes off of YouTube.
Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman keep me bright. Occasionally John Philip Sousa marches.

Last edited:
OK, just one track then. Those pigmies really know how to sharpen up a gearchange.

Which you wouldn't expect, really.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Another surreal diving experience was my Meaternal Grandmother's funeral, about 11 years ago.

"Meaternal" does sound like some kind of Metal thang, right enough.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Cruising....
or maybe...
I just can't decide.

Booker T and the MGs?
"Play it, Steve!!"
(although that was with Sam&Dave)

Audio books for me for the most part, cbc or npr sometimes, otherwise whatever the local classic rock station deems playable. It interesting to hear the differences in play lists for some of the small town radio stations and you get to hear some stuff you forgot about.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SR5
"Jesus Built My Hotrod” by Ministry. The original promo copies were accompanied by a free quart of motor oil.

I always ended up speeding like crazy ........... on "Jesus Built My Hotrod".

Yep, it's not driving music, its speeding music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back