Who in BITOG is a world traveler?

I always wanted to see the world but never seemed to have the money to do so. See a little on a cruise but that was it. The wife really had no interest and her health issues would limit it now for sure.

So who here loves to see the world? Where have you been? Your favorite foreign destination?

Mostly work related for about 7 years or so. I filled a passport in ~2 years; mostly Western Europe and Asia, some Middle East. I loved it until one day, remember it well, I was returning from the UK on BA, with another trip in a week or so, and it hit me that the last thing I wanted to do was get on an airliner again for a long work trip... That lasted a few years and I went to a series of less traveling roles.

I still love the actual flying part, it is the processes leading up to and after leaving the comfy seat w/ tray table that drove me crazy. An airliner window is still my favorite TV screen by far.

Recently getting the bug again.

Favorite destinations so far:

1) London
2) rural Ireland
3) Tokyo

Last edited:
2019 we went to Thialand/Laos for a month. The layover at Japan was pretty cool. Not for sure if you consider it but we've been to Canada and Mexico a couple times, Canada was pretty interesting and looking forward to our trip to Alaska this year just for the trip through there. Planning on a trip to France in 2026 and plenty others.. just getting started. Looking forward to everyone's comments also!

Wife has been to 80+ countries. Me - about half of that. Our son has been to 22, and he's only 8.

We just returned from a vacation this past December: Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia. Great trip, but not cheap, obviously. We travel internationally every year, sometimes twice a year, to visit relatives, and while we visit them, we try to add some nearby countries to the itinerary so that it feels more like a vacation and not just family visit.

I might go to Japan again, but I had my fill of China and SE Asia

Zero interest in the Arab middle east, but for sure must go to Israel.

Italy, Italy, Italy - if you go no where else. But stay in a place outside the single city you choose. Then go into the city if you must. So relaxing and nice.

Spain. Portugal.

Next for us in Netherlands, bike barge.

I do love the English countryside (no use for London anymore)

Southern Brazil, Uruguay really really nice.

India, Thailand, Egypt, Mexico but that doesn't really count.

Italy, Turkey, Vietnam, Philippines are on the future agenda.

I always wanted to see the world but never seemed to have the money to do so. See a little on a cruise but that was it. The wife really had no interest and her health issues would limit it now for sure.

So who here loves to see the world? Where have you been? Your favorite foreign destination?
There are relatively few people who have been to more locations than I have. I've traveled the globe on Gulfstream jets.

Bottom Line: The Tuscany area of Italy is heaven itself, and my favorite place on the globe. North of Rome, South of Milan.

Worst, China.

Fun for motorheads and electronic nerds: Thailand, Japan, generally more fun outside of the cities.

Generally not fun for me, Paris, London, Brussels, Amsterdam, as they are close enough to any big city experience, often with gloomy weather.

Hungary, Romania, Poland, Eastern Europe, ehhh beautiful but don't care much for that either. Can be ultra nice in the rural areas. But I could not live there.

Much of Africa and the Middle East, generally more work than it's worth, many cities are gross, and, well, let's be honest here, many areas are sometimes less than civilized. Ngorngoro crater in Tanzania was EPIC cool. That is worth the trip, if you ever wanted to go back in time to where animals ruled the Earth, that's the place.

Momella wildlife lodge, Tanzania. Twice the Giraffe chased me down and tried to kill me. I got into my hut just in time. If you want to be attacked by animals such as Giraffe, Buffalo, Lion and others, that's the place to go.

expediav2-2283682-970175462-877798.jpg

Tuscany Italy, yes, that's real. Sienna and the outskirts is wonderful beyond words. By the way, recently voted best food in the world.
big-5fcd7c654c4c495d12863595ca84e442.jpg

That's me with the beard, with Jane Goodall, 2nd from left. Tanzania
ZY41IyV.jpg

Tanzania
JukdUyG.jpg

Peenemunde, Germany:

PmB2H7M.jpg

Last edited:
I've only been to England last year, and a little bit of Wales. I don't have a huge interest in traveling the world, plenty to see here in the U.S. to keep me happy for a while.

But I do want to go to the Philippines soon, some friends of mine are from there so I'd even have tour guides.

Between business and vacation I have been to 45 countries on six continents over the past 40 years. Been to Europe 83 times, mostly to England, Germany, Ireland and France. Places I like the most are Ireland, Scotland, England, Spain, Australia, Chile, China, and Aruba. Places I like the least are Russia, Sudan, South Africa, Korea, and Japan.

I now live in a "vacation destination" in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia, so foreign travel is greatly reduced. At 73 I am quite happy where I am. As for the rest of the world - been there, done that!

Here are a few shots of Ireland.

Ireland Dingle1.JPG

Ireland Duella.JPG

Ireland Leinster1.JPG

Ireland Thomastown.JPG

I have had some opportunities to travel.
Besides traveling extensively through the US, taking an Alaskan cruise, and having a trip to Hawaii; I have been to Australia, England, and spent time in London and Paris as well.
My all time favorite was the month I spent in Sydney, with the trip to England/London being a close second.
Mrs. Tdbo and I really want to go to Ireland. That will probably be our next trip outside the country.

Done a few cruises now to Mexico/Belize/Caymans, been to Iraq, traveled to England, etc. We're looking at an Alaska cruise next but our traveling has sort of slowed down since we have a 2 and 4 yo now.

I've been to... I believe about 36 countries and five continents, my wife more like 40 and six. We try to go on a big overseas trip once a year and I never feel like I've satisfied that itch. Travelling is awesome.

Last edited:
Oh and to answer my favorite destination - We've decided we like nature and outdoors, opposed to cities. I really like the jungle, so central and south America are up there for me. The Andes are incredibly impressive as well. Peru is probably my favorite trip I've been on, we will probably go check out Ecuador later this year.

I think I've been to maybe 9 different jurisdictions where I could theoretically get a passport stamp. There's the question about what's a separate "country", "but at least Hong Kong would have separate entry controls than the PRC, and at the time I went there when it was a crown colony of the UK. Never been to Europe or Africa though. Australia was fun. Once I transited through Haneda Airport for a refueling stop. We were allowed in the terminal, but needed to hold on to a reboarding pass. I don't particularly think that qualifies as visiting Japan.

Just in it for the free champagne 🥂 in Q-Suite on Thursday !
Don‘t want to travel if not for work … Airports get old after all the years …
😷

Thing is seeing the world through the eyes of a leisure vs business trip are two diff things.

Been around this world many times

My favorite destinations tend to be where I have friends or associates.

Tokyo
London
Belgium
Northern Germany
Los Angeles
New York
Mexico
Hawaii
Chicago

...and their outlying suburbs pop into my mind, there are many others.

Back