Who in BITOG is a world traveler?

I have traveled to the Philippines, Canada and Mexico.

20211229_135603.jpg
20211224_095609.jpg
20211229_151041.jpg

Here is a giant cockadile in Cancun who thought about chasing us during our kayaking adventure.

DSC03285.JPG

Greece, Canada, Mexico, Belgium, England. I'm hoping to 10x this in the coming years.

Other aspirations:

Antarctica and a suborbital space flight would be nice but I need to hit the lotto to afford a $500k ticket with Virgin Galactic.

The furthest west I’ve been is Hawaii and the furthest east has been Europe.

My wife and I eventually want to go to the British Isles and Japan. We’ve just been on a few small Caribbean cruises together since being married. Wouldn’t mind going on a longer one of those either.

I guess it depends on what is meant by “World Traveler”. I do travel a lot. I have been to many countries. I have crossed the Atlantic several times by ship, uncountable times by airplane.

The furthest west I’ve been is Hawaii and the furthest east has been Europe.

My wife and I eventually want to go to the British Isles and Japan. We’ve just been on a few small Caribbean cruises together since being married. Wouldn’t mind going on a longer one of those either.
The furthest west I’ve been is India. The furthest east? Well, India…. ;) So, I have circumnavigated the globe, in a piecemeal fashion.

Edit: I have flown from DEN-LAX-HKG-DEL and back, then DEN-LAX-LHR-DEL and back, so, yes, two trips, each one halfway round the world. With the two coolest radio callsigns ever, United 1 when westbound. United 2 when eastbound.

My wife and I enjoy travel. Skiing in Vermont and the Rockies (Utah in particular). We’ve been all over the US and to England, Scotland, Germany, Austria, and France together, and part of the reason we are eagerly anticipating her retirement is so that we can travel a lot more. She has been many places, in her capacity as a USN officer, but not always with me.

We do enjoy travel, and look forward to more.

Last edited:
It depends on your interests, and your willingness to change locations frequently, or go to one place and stay there.

I have been to about 30 countries, mostly in Europe and the middle East. Egypt is a favorite destination. And you can Airbnb a nice spot to stay near Luxor for under $1000 a month.

If you want to go to Europe and travel around, a Eurailpass should be investigated.

And you can Airbnb a nice spot to stay near Luxor for under $1000 a month.
A friend told me you can easy "pay the guards extra" at the Great Pyramid and they will let you inside the sarcophagus for a photo op. He stayed at the 4 Seasons for $100 a night IIRC.

Last edited:
Iceland
Germany
Spain
Mexico
Belize
Canada
Brazil
All over the Caribbean

That, and some of you might remember my pic standing on an iceberg in the frozen Arctic ocean north of Barrow AK.

A friend told me you can easy "pay the guards extra" at the Great Pyramid and they will let you inside the sarcophagus for a photo op. He stayed at the 4 Seasons for $100 a night IIRC.
I was there in the Kings Chamber late in the day. I gave the guard some "baksheesh" to let me stay in there alone for five minutes with the lights turned off. It seemed like an eternity.

Non-continenal US: Alaska
Canada/Mexico, of course, you only needed your driver's license in the 80s & 90s, & many times since w/passport
Dominican Republic
Brazil/Brasil - wife is native, many times. Sao Paulo, Santos, Campos Do Jordao, Porto Seguro, Trancoso, Peruibe, others.
Europe: France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Czech Rep
No longer Europe: UK
Wants to be Europe: Turkey
UAE - Dubai/Abu Dhabi
Qatar - Doha

Favorites: Turkey, Czech Republic, (Rural) France, (Rural) Germany, in no particular order

Most overrated: Italy. I mean it's fine, just overcrowded and overrun with Americans. I don't travel internationally to see a crapload of Americans everywhere.
2nd most overrated: Mexico, seaweed on the beach all the time.

Most underrated: Trancoso, Brasil. Really enjoyed. Roads are bad though, but not really a problem.

Back