Favorite Aircraft

My favorite has always been the B-58 Hustler. A stiletto shaped bomber. This video has a surprising pilot. Honorable mention is the F-104 Starfighter which was also built for speed. WW2 produced many fine designs too. I see a relationship between cars back then and cars now. Beautiful, graceful then and practical but prosaic now. Your favorite?

F-104
View attachment 172852
youtube

Isn't that one of the aircraft that was a real son of a gun to try to land, and basically you had to come in very hot because it didn't have very nice stall characteristics?

I’ve always thought the A-7 was the ugliest combat jet ever produced.

The A-4? Just meh.
I thought the A-10 was ugly until I saw a flight of A-6s in operation at Crow Valley range in the PI. I had thought they only flew at night for survivability, but then I realized it was actually for esthetics. Seeing 3 of them I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I was very thankful the Air Force got the F-4, the A-4 and A-7 from the Navy, but not the A-6.

Isn't that one of the aircraft that was a real son of a gun to try to land, and basically you had to come in very hot because it didn't have very nice stall characteristics?

Aerodynamically speaking Delta Wings are virtually impossible to stall because of Vortex Lift...

Vortex lift works by capturing vortices generated from the sharply
swept leading edge of the wing. The vortex, formed roughly parallel to
the leading edge of the wing, is trapped by the airflow and remains
fixed to the upper surface of the wing. As the air flows around the
leading edge, it flows over the trapped vortex and is pulled in and
down to generate the lift at high AOA that would stall non delta wings...

vortexlift-jpg.112954

VortexLift2.JPG

Last edited:
A tough choice indeed, but i will opt for the Avro Vulcan. Reminds me of the Airshows of the 70s when i was a Boy. The howl from those four Bristol Olympus engines still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. A wonderful aircraft.

Make that a razor back P-51 and you have pure sex with wings...

Yanking and banking a P-51 is fun to do...
The razor back wasn't bad looking, but the bubble canopy version is far and away the better looking plane...

A tough choice indeed, but i will opt for the Avro Vulcan. Reminds me of the Airshows of the 70s when i was a Boy. The howl from those four Bristol Olympus engines still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. A wonderful aircraft.

It seems that posting videos is definitely not my forte. :)

First hours in DC-3, Pops was AAF B25 jock flying dropping bombs in South Pacific, went to Hawaiian. Got to fly during "milk runs" Honolulu to Hilo.
Time in Lear 25 with brother, towing targets for Navy to shoot off San Diego.
Owned Champ, bought as basket case after ground loop for $1500, fixed tail with approval from friend A&P. 8ohp Contintental, best fun during spins of all aircraft I flew.

Many others but for various reasons these were my faves.

Attachments

• HAL-Inter Island DC-3.jpg
    HAL-Inter Island DC-3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Lear_25.jpg
    Lear_25.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Champ 7AC.jpg
    Champ 7AC.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
Back