Favorite Aircraft

I'll go down a different avenue of approach.

A wonderful aircraft for her passengers. The MD 80 not far behind.

2560px-11df_-_Delta_Air_Lines_Lockheed_L-1011_TriStar_1;_N1732D@FLL;30.01.1998_(5016025629).jpg
324555226_Screenshot(476).jpg.c6dd4b1b808f4cd59349555751a0d31e.jpg

Beech Model 17 Staggerwing
View attachment 172879
That is a timeless classic! I got a chance to fly a Staggerwing once. In flight, the flight control feels reminds me very much of a Bonanza.
I found out in 2019 when talking to a recently retired Beechcraft engineer that there is a document describing how the controls should feel/respond in all Beechcraft aircraft. All the Beeches that I've flown have what I think is a very nice control response.

There is one on display at the American AirPower Museum in Farmingdale Long Island where they were built. The museum is actually the last surviving building of Republic Aviation Corporation. We knew people who worked on them way back when….

Beyound doubt - most beautiful bird ever, greatest and most beautiful technical marvel man ever created:

Concorde.jpg

95e6f0f2-3f07-11e9-b20a-0cdc8de4a6f4_image_hires_145009.JPG

British_Airways_Concorde_G-BOAC_02.jpg

G20190221-153337_D3DE2_img5.jpg
In the early 90s I flew for an airline in the NE corridor. Many a time we would taxi out at JFK and be next for takeoff behind the Concorde. Pretty cool.
It wasn't a heavy but we still had to wait for turbulence because of all the jet blast turbulence.

Here's a few factory pix of the former sprawling Republic Aviation Corporation in Farmingdale Long Island NY.
Seversky before it was Republic.png

Before it was re-named Republic

Rebuplic Aviation.png

Circa WW-II, one of the runways had to be extended and that's why that road loops round to the left
They built 9,500 Thunderbolts here during the war, and another 5,000 at another plant in Evanville Indiana.
Thunderbolts on the line.jpg

Building Thunderbolts
Tommy Dorsey band and Republic Aviation emplyoees.jpg

Tommy Dorsey paid a visit to the Republic workers and entertained them....

Low pass.jpg

I bet this woke a few people up in East Farmingdale that day.....imagine the sound of the P&W R-2800....

Famingdale Republic 1950s.jpg

Republic circa '50s
F 105s being built in Farmingdale.jpg

Thunderchiefs coming off the assembly line...

Last edited:
In the early 90s I flew for an airline in the NE corridor. Many a time we would taxi out at JFK and be next for takeoff behind the Concorde. Pretty cool.
It wasn't a heavy but we still had to wait for turbulence because of all the jet blast turbulence.

speaking of turbulence:

CONCORDE START London.jpg

(granted, because of its delta wings)

. . . and exhaust gases:

CONCORDE START first-flight-1969.jpg

Then there's that other Long Island Company.....
F 14 Jolly Rodgers.jpg

The Tomcat, a thing of beauty forever, saw one of these going to full afterburner while picking my brother up at SUNY Stony Brook around 1977 or so..
Grumman engineers watching the Lunar Module in 1969.jpg

Grumman engineers watching the LEM....remember that the LEM, was the life boat for the Apollo 13 Crew.....
Apollo+13+-+Failure+was+not+an+option_2_febd630a-fd95-49eb-a826-32c33f070d3d-prv.jpg

Apollo 13 crew thanks Grumman workers in Bethpage....
Grumman LEM 2.jpg

Part of the original LEM drawings....

Back