Farewell, Nissan Altima

As much as I didn't like the more recent versions, I lament the loss. I would have rather seen Nissan finally learn from their mistakes and bring back a proper automatic and if possible a V6 like they had in the mid-2000s. Those were really nice cars for the price point.

I understand the sentiment of seeing one fewer CVT based vehicle, but problem is the models that Nissan is selling instead of this still use CVTs. The root of the problem hasn't been solved. What made this fail is still being used in their other models.

I would also caution against an idea of having a marketplace with The only competitor being the Camry. Competition is what pushed Toyota to making the Camry to being this good. Competition is a healthy thing. Look no further than How much better the Mustang became after it had competition from both GM and Chrysler. Look at how much better the Corvette became after the Viper was released. The list goes on. Competition is good for consumers.

What'll people with major BAE drive next 🤷‍♂️
Big
Altima
Energy
I never got to try the VC-Turbo engine, I probably should
And those Zero gravity seats are real comfy for my mangled spine
It is the official vehicle of being a menace to society, and a hazard on the road
I hope the workforce in TN is repurposed, maybe factory retooled for a different model?
I give a 21 crank sensor salute 🫡
Because ONG Altima's nearly always have a whining CVT, a cracked flex pipe, constant long crank/stalling due to Cam/Crank sensor failures, and a permanent TPMS light
Rust in peace 🕊️ ✌️
View attachment 177123

Dodge Charger/Challenger/300, doesn’t matter if V6 or 5.7 V8…. The 6.4 and 6.2’s I think will remain too expensive to purchase/insure let alone feed with that sweet sweet premium. Maybe the Ram trucks as well.

IMG_8364.jpeg

I rent cars all the time. I am always very happy to get an Altima, as they are very, very comfortable, and get fantastic highway MPG.

I'm 100% certain the Accord is a better car, but I hate renting them. Terrible seats, low and on the floor, uncomfortable for long trips, and intrusive nanny technology. Not only that, but the Altima gets better MPG, by a lot. I can easily go 600 miles per tank at very fast highway speeds in an Altima, all while being quite comfortable.

Tell me again how Nissan is going to make a capable $25,000 EV sedan, that can go 600 miles at 90MPH on one charge? Because quite simply, it CAN'T be done. Dropping the Altima is discontinuing one of the best inexpensive and capable long distance cars around.
They drop it because they can't sell it for a good profit, so people buying them expect a bargain. I don't know about the comfort and mpg side of the equation but I know they don't have the reputation of durability like Camry and Accord do anymore (they were considered durable back in the 90s). Maybe, if they have reliable CVT (maybe they do now but their reputations were trashed in the last decade or 2), cat that won't disintegrate, engine that doesn't have intake gasket leak, not flooding the rental fleet then sold to uncaring owners, then maybe it would be ok to own to 200k miles.

It is not the job of the manufacturer to make a 25k car so people can buy it used for cheap (their job is to make money selling what buyers want to buy). If it is that desirable the residual value would be high like Camry and Accord.

We'll know that the Chinese makers are getting ready to launch in this market when they harmonize their mainstream models with our safety and emissions standards. There will still be non-complying models, just as those that remain for Japanese makers.
Their calling card initially will be dirt cheap pricing, just as the Japanese did decades ago and the Koreans did more recently.

Now what's gonna be driven with the bumpers duct taped on, a flashlight taped to the hood to replace a broken headlight, driving 100mph down the freeway with the spare tire on the front?

Kia Optima I guess.
Camrys too. Spotted this one today.

6A4296C4-B421-4FB0-843D-F9DB382DCB79.jpeg

I have mixed feelings since I really liked these cars in the right trim, but mine was a total piece of junk. I was astounded back when Nissan decided to get competitive, actually seemed to care about performance, and offered this car with a V6 and a manual, spitting right in the face of the Maxima. It was a REALLY fun car. I've been watching them over the years slide backwards downhill turning into appliances for people who don't care what they drive. In Dallas, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an abused, smoking Altima. I think they finished it off slowly, dropping the manual, then going CVT, then dropping the 3.5. Apparently the used car lots filled up with them, and they were cheap. Sad to watch.
View attachment 176125
I remember that time well. My fiancé and I were out to dinner in Greensboro in 2002 and saw an Altima pass by, just like your picture, and said "Wow! What was that!" We followed it back to the dealer and hopped out to check them out. Outside design was amazing for 2002 model but the inside was pretty low rent. I looked around and found the Maxima wasn't too much more in price and came with the higher output 3.5L and Xeon headlights. Nissan sold a bunch of Altimas that year, but I grabbed a Maxima! 😁

Not a Nissan loyalist but sad to see another sedan going. Been strongly kicking around the idea of buying a new economy sedan/sedan before the choices get even more limited/gone, at least in that lower price range.

I've owned two Altimas over the past 15 years and find them to be a reliable and stylish car that hits all of my buttons. With the luxury interior (SL model) they are as nice as any Mercedes or BMW I have rented and more comfortable at less than half the price. The ride is smooth and quiet with more acceleration than I need, the gas mileage exceeds 40 mpg on the highway, and the new models are really cool looking for a family sedan. Here is my current 2019 2.5 SL with AWD - paid $29,500 loaded. YMMV, but I love my ride!

View attachment 176190

View attachment 176191
I agree. The Altima is my wife’s car and it is much more comfortable to be in than newer Accord or Camry.

I´m telling you, the market is RIPE for a compact economical vehicle to blast in. in the days of 60k pickup trucks... somebody come in with a sub 20k well equipped vehicle that seats four. Something needs to reset this market.

Something like the new Ford Bronco, except Ford has done it all wrong. prices have climbed, production is limited to orders, and more high end exclusive packages. The market is ripe for get-it-out-there and affordable.

Think of a Ford Bronco 4dr under-around 20k, and 100k+ production annaully, designed NOT to use as many chips, twenty on every lot with various engine configs, upper trims with hybrid, full EV, but lower trims with NA motors. It has to be from a non standard brand, the big dogs will not do it to save their higher end models.
I think this kind of car would only sell well in some kind of deep financial crisis. You are vastly underestimating Americans’ addiction/obsession to big vehicles. Woman think they’re safe. Men think they’re masculine. Only desperation will bring the budget-friendly car back.

I think this kind of car would only sell well in some kind of deep financial crisis. You are vastly underestimating Americans’ addiction/obsession to big vehicles. Woman think they’re safe. Men think they’re masculine. Only desperation will bring the budget-friendly car back.
...and THAT IS EXACLTY WHAT I EXPECT.
Huge gap that wages not keeping pace with inflation, will be detrimental.
There is noise on the internet that the homeless crisis will increase, as Social Security will no longer be able to pay a months rent, plus all the other stuff, and we know how many are not even prepared for retirement?

All in the hands of the beholder. I had a new Altima when I was getting my Nissan Rogue Select serviced. Ca. 2017 Poor E steering, ho hum engine performance and NVH. Seats OK certainly not as good as the Japanese built '14 Rogue, Plain vanilla transportation only done fair-at-best, as was the Camry. I have HIGH standards having driven good sports cars and luxury mid sixties American cars.

If you like it enough - then there you go!
Rented one (4th generation) in Hawaii while I was waiting for my car to be shipped to the mainland. Wasn’t impressed either. The cherry on top was the transmission quitting on me on the way back to the rental lot. Pushed the gas, engine revved, car didn’t move. Looked at the odometer…9k miles.
Sure it could have happened to any car make, but the experience soured me on the Nissan brand ever since.

We should do everything in our power to keep Chinese cars out of North America.
You listening Volvo?
You wouldn't get me in a Volvo. Too much gender politics involved. You think repairs on a German car are high; hideous on one of them. I would rather have Renault or Peogeut than a Volvo.

I agree. The Altima is my wife’s car and it is much more comfortable to be in than newer Accord or Camry.
While that might be, they have the junkiest CVT transmission on the road and there is nothing comfortable about losing a transmission because of poor build/design.

Back