fake Rockauto app in Apple store

Super thanks for that post Tennessee terry!

In the same vein, I frequently reach a point in conversations where I have to answer for why I don't have 'an app for that'.

Telling people, "I don't want bank accounts linked to outside access in every-which-way", yields me blank stares.

Now I can warn them of fake apps.

Whenever I sell some large part on Ebay for local pickup only, half the buyers get annoyed when it isn't at their doorstep after a week and THEN they look at the ad and notice it was for pick up. Bet they were on a phone when buying it. Yea sure, a bumper for $100 is going to be shipped for free across the country.

I was reading the Rockauto news letter and I found out about this. Here is the story they linked to in their newsletter. What is really surprising is Apple refused to remove the app initially.

Apple App store fake app
thanks for posting this.. was reading the article over at techcrunch.. Apple didn't even do anything about it until AFTER the media started to alert everyone about it. Wow.. and Apple's store gets a cut of the transactions every app does! Nothing like letting money rule you..

An iPhone is not only a magical device, it saves lives...I learned that on this very forum because there is a resident IPhone Sensei here...somewhere. Nothing bad can happen with an iPhone.

Who uses a phone for shopping when you need to see fine detail on the pictures of what you're buying?
I need a box of dog poop bags so I just order them from the Amazon app on my phone??....NO...NEVER. I need to se the fine detail on the pictures of what I'm buying.
Do you write checks in the 10 items or less checkout line too?

I dont buy stuff using apps on my phone, I use a browser but not for security reasons. No retail store deserves the space on my devices so they can accumulate information on me. I understand others dont have the means.

Maybe I am more careful since I have been conducting online transactions for 29 years now. There is no reason for me to allow a corporation exclusive space on my devices. Except maybe financial institutions for security reasons what is the purpose? They arent your friend, there to extract as much of your income as they can.

Good OP to remind people that not everything is as it seems. 🙃

Last edited:
Back