Failed smog test, excessive white smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Charlie2015
I would put an engine in it. Buy a low mileage Japanese engine.

Forget trying to buy a used engine for this car. If you can find one, it will be expensive. All of the boy racers buy them up to put into their hotrod Civics.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
If I were to truly find out what it is, it would be at least 1-2 hr of mechanic time doing compression test, that's $100-200, then decide whether to fix or not (likely the head gasket still).

I would probably start by borrowing a compression tester for free from Autozone and do a compression test myself. It's just an inline-4 in there, right? It'd take 30 minutes to do if you're slow.

Or maybe I'd consider stuffing something non-flammable and non-meltable in the tail pipe to see if it stops the smoke.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by DejaVue

Or maybe I'd consider stuffing something non-flammable and non-meltable in the tail pipe to see if it stops the smoke.
coffee2.gif

It is in the middle of a smog test, they have to stuff a probe into the tail pipe. You cannot just plug / filter the white smoke by stuffing something there.

Retest on a clear sunny day, with an 8 mile freeway run, it passed.

No white smoke, numbers are much closer to average than before. The smog guy said it took a long time for the machine to lock in the reading, that's a good sign that it is on its last leg and 2 years from now it may not pass. I'll worry about it in 2 years.

The smog guy said it took a long time for the machine to lock in the reading,

I am not understanding this. What is machine looking for? Isn't NOT finding it is a good thing? Why should machine lock on the reading immediately?

I received a similar comment, the tech blamed it on lazy O2 sensors and suggested I should consider changing them. It was a 97 Accord with about 270k mi.

If there is an obvious problem with the engine, such as missing parts, they will fail you, despite the CO/HC/NO_x numbers. I understand the sensors getting confused if there is that much H_2O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back