Failed smog test, excessive white smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way I would scrap that car for $1,000.

If the head gasket is the only thing wrong with it, and the rest of the car is in good shape, I could ask $2,000 for it as is, and more than likely get it here in my neck of the woods. Old Hondas running around here every where that have been tuned and lowered.

Buy a JDM low mileage imported engine from Japan is what I would do.

Don't let another 90s Honda go to the recycler. Motor swap is less than $1000 installed. Do it yourself for $3-500. If it was a Pontiac grand am or something I would scrap it.

I have other cars to drive right now, just trying to see what make sense. I do enjoy driving the integra a lot and i am driving it every day. The suspensions, axles, transmission, ignition, etc are all in good order as I replace worn parts myself. However with 2 young kids I no longer have the time to turn wrenches like I used to.

The smoke is noticeable but not HUGE, I'll try to smog again on a hot dry day. If it still fail, I don't think parking it on the street is an option (ticket if it is not registered). There isn't much point selling it after a quick bottle of fix, because it would sell for just as much to BAR, rather than unloading to someone at an even lower price. That $1000 offer is only good if you fail smog, if it blew a head gasket and won't run it may not sell for that much.

If you have other cars to drive, dump this thing and move on. It's worn out and at the end of it's useful life.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
I would put an engine in it. Buy a low mileage Japanese engine.

Put an engine in a car 22 years old, 263k miles. This is awful advice. I would go with option 1.

Last edited:
1) let BAR buyback for $1000 to crush it (reducing emission)

I don't know what this is. Is this always available?

If so, and money is tight, try the leak sealer first. If that doesn't work, dump it.

Originally Posted by MarkM66

If so, and money is tight, try the leak sealer first. If that doesn't work, dump it.

California will pay you $1,000 to crush a car that fails smog. It's often more than the car is worth.

I recognize the make out on Panda Bear's posting. Twenty year old car, 263,000 miles, with an issue that wants to draw a person to keep spending just a bit more.

Time to send it to the wreckers. You can also pour in some Blue Devil or what not and sell it, but unless you tell the buyer the truth you are just being unethical.

Get yourself a nice low mileage car and enjoy life.
smile.gif

I like to keep 'em alive.
If you like the car and the body is in decent shape, I would fix it.
Otherwise give it to me and I will fix it.

One more item. I don't want to hijack this thread and I'm not knowledgeable with older Honda's but when it's time to make a decision like this you really show look at the benefits of a newer car. Does the old one have air bags, and anti lock brakes? If not maybe it's time to move on. ( Please don't take this into a discussion of that equipment. Start a new thread if you're interested in it.)

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

You already have too many cars and will most likely be moving towards cars which have no gasoline engine given your recent experience. Besides, your town will throw you out if that car is parked in your drive way :) Or do you have a shack in say Compton (or Oakland) apart from your estate in Los Gatos?

All kidding aside, why would you take on somebody's headache? My wife is very smart. She prevented me from picking up a friends Avalon when I knew all it needed was couple of ignition coils. Already I am having enough trouble cleaning the snow off all the vehicles parked in my driveway.

While I like the Integra and the RSX, these are nothing special. When it's time to let them go, it's time to let them go. OP indicated he doesn't have time to tinker with this car and it makes little sense to pay someone else to do the repairs, which by the way is very expensive in CA.

Originally Posted by Anduril
Originally Posted by MarkM66

California will pay you $1,000 to crush a car that fails smog. It's often more than the car is worth.

And if the car is pre-1996, it's an automatic $1000. Older cars in enhanced smog areas - the more populated areas send older cars to STAR/test-only stations if they are on the high emitter profile.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Or do you have a shack in say Compton (or Oakland) apart from your estate in Los Gatos?

With the rate of gentrification in Oakland, except for deep west and most of the east, it's hard to find a shack or even a spot in a lot.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Vikas
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

You already have too many cars and will most likely be moving towards cars which have no gasoline engine given your recent experience. Besides, your town will throw you out if that car is parked in your drive way :) Or do you have a shack in say Compton (or Oakland) apart from your estate in Los Gatos?

All kidding aside, why would you take on somebody's headache? My wife is very smart. She prevented me from picking up a friends Avalon when I knew all it needed was couple of ignition coils. Already I am having enough trouble cleaning the snow off all the vehicles parked in my driveway.

I don't get headaches; I give 'em.
I want that RSX...

Regarding to putting a new engine in it:

About 3-4 years ago when I paid a mechanic to do the top end rebuild, I skirt around the option of dropping a low mile engine in it. A neighbor hook me up with a guy he know, and this guy told me it is more cost effective to just sell that car as is. If I insist on replacing the engine, I have to WAIT for a good one shows up that's lowish mileage, i.e. 90k. He wouldn't do any rebuild due to risk of another problem mid way, and he wouldn't charge less than 2k.

My other friend who track his car told me, that even if I do get a low mile engine, I should rebuild it first before putting it in, or it might just be trouble down the road.

Recent search around various JDM engine sources say that these non VTEC engines are now "sold out", and were last sold for around 900-1500 (long block) with around 60k miles. Assuming $800 for labor and profit to put it in (mechanics have to take some risk of rework if he pick up a bad engine), it is still more than the car is worth. At least, it is more than the $1k many assume will cost here.

You are looking at 9.3 hr book time to swap the engine assembly. Good luck finding a shop who is willing to charge only book time to work on a car that old; most will want to inflate that figure by at least 25% due to the intangibles.

Labor alone will be AT LEAST $1500.

Bars HG-1 is the best head gasket fix stuff out there. If that doesn't fix it, scrap the car, unless it's otherwise in great shape or you have sentimental value. Labor is too expensive around here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back