Failed smog test, excessive white smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Integra RS, 263k miles, automatic, top end rebuild due to head gasket about 2-3 years ago.

The last smog failed once and then passes the 2nd time around after 1. 91 octane, 2) oil change, 3) new plugs.

It was losing coolant and I brought it into a local mechanic, and he discovered the coolant bypass hose is cracked, and replaced it for about $300.

Today is rainy and cold (around 40F) by our standard, and I drove the car for about 30 mins on and off prior to smog. The test has good numbers but fail visual due to white smoke in the tail pipe. The smog guy said if he passed me and someone on the street complains then he would be in trouble. He even ask the mechanics next door for a 2nd opinion and he also agree it is not condensation.

I understand that it is likely the head gasket again when the bypass hose cracked and caused some local warp, and if it is it would be another $1500 to replace, more than the value of the car. If I were to truly find out what it is, it would be at least 1-2 hr of mechanic time doing compression test, that's $100-200, then decide whether to fix or not (likely the head gasket still).

So, would you:

1) let BAR buyback for $1000 to crush it (reducing emission)
2) add a bottle of stop leak and pass, drive for another 2 years
3) repair (engine swap, already 2 head gaskets, so no more top end rebuild)

How much money do you have to buy another car? How much sentimental value does the car have? Your Integra seems to have a lot of problems for a 90s Honda, especially a stock one.

You can probably sell it out-of-state somewhere where rust is a problem. They may pay a decent price for a clean rust-free Integra that they can B16 swap (yo)

Personally, I'd go with Option 1 if funds allowed. If it would cause stress financially to pursue a new vehicle, then I would go with Option 2. That said, I would spend the money to confirm the issue before adding anything into the system. Option 3 only if I absolutely loved the car.

I have other cars already, 1 IS250, 1 Prius V, and I can always take over my inlaw's old Camry.

I told my wife that used to tell me to get rid of it a few mins ago, she started feeling sad and said it has been part of me (for the last 21 years). So, yeah, if it is not because of sentimental value it wouldn't have received the 2nd rebuild.

It's an overhead cam 4 cylinder with a timing belt, right? Shouldn't be too hard to pull the head off and put on a new gasket.

Are there better head gasket options for that engine? Or maybe use extra copper seal?

Originally Posted by Miller88
It's an overhead cam 4 cylinder with a timing belt, right? Shouldn't be too hard to pull the head off and put on a new gasket.

Are there better head gasket options for that engine? Or maybe use extra copper seal?

Yes, usually 1500 one way or another. Labor is expensive here.

I'd wait till it warms up to 70 F or so and see if it still has white smoke. Some of those older, 4 cyl Japanese makes do that quite a bit in colder temps. Then goes away when the temps rise. I've seen it while driving around including one of my own cars while others aren't smoking at all. This is assuming the car runs fine and isn't losing coolant. Maybe also have a uoa done to see if any coolant is mixing with the oil. Napa/Rockauto has a kit for less than $20.

I wouldn't trust a liquid glass sealer in a Honda, but if you want to keep the car due to sentimental value and have the space/tools/time to make it a project, #3. Otherwise, option 1. I wouldn't pay shop labor on a 20+ year old car and the Civic/Integra of the 1990s are probably an easy car to work on.

If your wife doesn't object to a project in the garage, time for a B18C swap :p

There are a lot of products that will TEMPOARILY stop coolant leaking past the head gasket.

Try one of the BEST ones.... get it to pass... then sell the car ASAP!

Coolant going into exhaust is the type of leak that something like Blue Devil will fix. Most Hondas fail the other way, pushing combustion into the coolant. I would use Blue Devil on it, it should work for a while. Could also adjust the distributor to retard the timing and get that exhaust HOT.

For the purpose of passing the smog check, try putting something in the radiator neck under the radiator cap (matchstick, piece of wire, etc) to break the seal so pressure doesn't build up in the cooling system. See if the smoking stops.

A car like this doesn't make sense to own if you have to hire mechanics to work on it.

Don't try sealer it's almost always just a waste of money, and its also likely to cause problems later. For the price of a bottle of Blue Devil, you can buy a new head gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Don't try sealer it's almost always just a waste of money, and its also likely to cause problems later. For the price of a bottle of Blue Devil, you can buy a new head gasket.

Thats a silly thing to say. Him buying a new head gasket won't do a darn thing. He has to install it to make it work, DUH. Blue Devil is good stuff, but get the more expensive version that requires you to drain the old coolant. Not the kind you just add to the existing coolant. Had a Ford 4.6 that was putting out visible steam more than I thought it should. Wasn't positive it was a head gasket issue but the BD stopped the steaming.

I would settle for the $1000 scrap job and go out and get something with 35,000 miles and drive it another 20 years. Or if you don't want to spend that much you can get a car for about $5000 with less then 100,000 miles and be good to go for quite a while again.

Swap the mill if it is rust free and the interior is OK. What's the point of keeping it for twenty years and then unloading it over something as trivial as needing a new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back