F15 Arrested Landing at Portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
A CF-18 could be flown aboard a carrier. It's structurally no different from a USN F/A-18A/B.

I got a chance to talk to a couple of RCAF pilots at an air show in California. The Blue Angels were at that show (California International Air Show in 1997 in Salinas) but had to take off from Monterey because the runways weren't long enough for their safety requirements.

However, I asked one pilot about the gear on the CF-18 and whether or not they tried to take off some of the catapult equipment to save weight. Obviously it had the original tail hook and the beefy landing gear. He said they tried removing some of the gear in early testing and it messed up the balance of the plane. I think he said it would vibrate. This pilot also sounded stereotypically "Canadian". The other pilot had a French accent.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
F-16 is single engine , isn't it ? Loose an engine on a single engine plan and it kind of messes up your day .

Loose 2 engines on a 2 engine plane and it messes up your day , too . Ask Sullenberger .

There was a Marine pilot who was doing carrier qualifications on the USS Abraham Lincoln. He had to shut down his right engine and apparently was directed to land at NAS North Island, but then directed to try to make it all the way to MCAS Miramar by his Marine superiors. He lost power in the left engine, tried to restart the right engine, and ended up ejecting. I think four people on the ground died.

There were excuses made for why they wanted him to go that far on one engine. Apparently the failure of the remaining engine was related to the shutdown. He did question why he was ordered to land further away, but I guess he was a junior officer and was just following orders.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29868371/ns/us_news-military/t/pilot-screamed-horror-when-jet-hit-home/

Interesting story behind the reason all those countries without aircraft carriers bought carrier versions of the F-18. When Northrop lost the Air Force contract for the lightweight fighter with the F-17 they proposed a carrier version to the Navy. The Navy doesn't buy fighters from companies it hasn't bought fighters from in the past, so Northrop teamed with McDonnell Douglas and the F-18 was born. Under the terms of the agreement McDonnell Douglas would be prime for all carrier versions of the aircraft (planned for the US Navy), Northrop would be prime for all land versions of the aircraft (think foreign sales). Both companies would be major subcontractors for the plane if they weren't the prime contractor.
This arrangement worked as the Navy planes were built. While this was going on, McDonnell convinced foreign nations to buy their carrier versions of the plane, even though they would be land based. Then, after basically stealing the plane design from Northrop, they tried to eniminate Northrop as a major subcontractor by offering the Canadians the opportunity to build the Northrop parts.
After that last, straw Northrop took McDonnell to court. The companies settled after the jury was allowed to see models of the YF-17 and the F-18 (they kinda look the same to laymen ... and everyone else). McD paid $50 mil to Northrop, who settled on being the major subcontractor for all sales.

I heard Canada wanted a fighter with two engines for those long patrols. Also - didn't Canada come close to buying several F-14s that were destined for Iran before the overthrow of the Shah?

Astro,

Are the tires used on Navy fighters stronger, (thicker, more plies, higher bursting pressures, etc.), than Air Force fighters use? And are they filled to higher pressures? In commercial and private aviation blown tires on landing seem like a common occurrence. But you never hear much said about the same in Navy carrier operations. This in spite of how hard they are slammed on to the deck on landing.

Yesterday I just watched an episode of "Mayday", (an aviation show that deals with air disasters). It was based on an Air Transat A-330 flight from Canada to Portugal that had an in flight fuel leak. It resulted in both engines flaming out over the Atlantic, due to empty fuel tanks. The pilots were able to glide 65 miles to a dead stick landing in the Azores. They mentioned 6 of the 8 tires on the aircraft blew out on the landing. (This was said to be caused by the both the brakes locking up, combined with the hard landing). The plane is still in service today.

Again, you don't seem to see this with Navy jets. Is cost part of the reason why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I heard Canada wanted a fighter with two engines for those long patrols. Also - didn't Canada come close to buying several F-14s that were destined for Iran before the overthrow of the Shah?

I heard that, too. Canada wanted a twin engine fighter. The F-14s became available when the Shah was overthrown and it would've met the unique long-range patrol requirements that Canada had. But it was an expensive airplane, and I think cost was the driving factor.

The F-14 still couldn't quite meet the range that the AVRO Arrow (CF-105) would have had...but that's an entirely different story...

Originally Posted by billt460
Astro,

Are the tires used on Navy fighters stronger, (thicker, more plies, higher bursting pressures, etc.), than Air Force fighters use? And are they filled to higher pressures? In commercial and private aviation blown tires on landing seem like a common occurrence. But you never hear much said about the same in Navy carrier operations. This in spite of how hard they are slammed on to the deck on landing.

Yesterday I just watched an episode of "Mayday", (an aviation show that deals with air disasters). It was based on an Air Transat A-330 flight from Canada to Portugal that had an in flight fuel leak. It resulted in both engines flaming out over the Atlantic, due to empty fuel tanks. The pilots were able to glide 65 miles to a dead stick landing in the Azores. They mentioned 6 of the 8 tires on the aircraft blew out on the landing. (This was said to be caused by the both the brakes locking up, combined with the hard landing). The plane is still in service today.

Again, you don't seem to see this with Navy jets. Is cost part of the reason why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Two questions in this...

First, Navy Fighters have conventional tires, but with a bit more structure than a tire for a similarly sized land-based airplane. The F-14 main tires were 37x11.5-16 28 ply. Inflated to 245 PSI on land, 350 PSI on the ship. Nose tires were 22x6.6-10 20 ply. 105 PSI land, 350 PSI ship.

A Boeing 757 has 40x14.5-19 tires, they are 26 ply, but there is a lot more airplane supported by the tires, and they're inflated to 225 PSI (I think). So, the increased ply rating for a Navy fighter, combined with less weight per tire, and a much higher inflation pressure, provides a lot of performance margin. We do have blown tires on a carrier, but it's rare. In 10s of thousands of landings I've seen as an LSO, and my own landings, I've never seen a blown tire on the carrier.

Next question: blown tires in airliners. Also very rare. They happen primarily for two reasons: debris on the runway, or pilot lands with brakes applied.

Air Transat was the result of really stupid fuel management. It's a classic case of not monitoring fuel. They had a leak from the moment they took off and it took them hours to realize that there was a leak. Stupid. But then, they did a brilliant job of gliding the airplane to the Azores. When they touched down, they had no flaps, and were about 220 KTS. Max tire speed is typically 190 KTS. NOrmal landing speed is about 135 KTS. They pounded that airplane on to the runway, like a carrier landing, because they had run out of speed to stay aloft. They hammered the brakes because they were so fast, and blew both tires trying to get it stopped. Anti-skid was not available due to the lack of hydraulic pressure with both engines flamed out, so they were braking using the accumulator. So, they couldn't modulate the brakes or they would've depleted the accumulator pressure.

So, I really don't fault them for the blown tires. That was completely understandable.

I fault them for failing to manage their fuel, though...

In any event, aircraft tires are very sturdy. They're inflated with nitrogen, by the way, for a couple of reasons: no support for combustion and the dryness. The N2 obeys the universal gas law, but the dryness avoids the water phase change (solid-liquid-gas) that would happen as tires go from -65C (in flight) to over 200C after heavy braking on landing. That phase change would cause real pressure variations, dry gas avoids that.

Aircraft wheels also have "fuze plugs" that melt to prevent the catastrophic failure of the wheel. Typically, they're designed to melt at about 450F, when the pressure inside the tire (PV=nRT again) becomes extreme. Without fuze plugs, at extremely high temperatures, the wheel could explode, with severe damage to the airplane, or worse, injuring or killing ground personnel.

Thanks. I had no idea the tires were inflated to that high of pressure, (350 PSI). They must have some heavy duty compressors to be able to achieve that kind of inflation pressure. You are lucky to find a consumer / commercial grade air compressor that will give 175 PSI. And most of them are gas powered.

Thanks. I had no idea the tires were inflated to that high of pressure, (350 PSI). They must have some heavy duty compressors to be able to achieve that kind of inflation pressure. You are lucky to find a consumer / commercial grade air compressor that will give 175 PSI. And most of them are gas powered.

Don't know if you caught it but these tires are filled with Nitrogen. No air compressors involved. Straight from the high pressure bottle, so getting 200-300+ pounds of pressure in a tire is no problem.

Yeah. The cart has 3,000PSI bottles with a pressure regulator, etc.

Looks like this:
[Linked Image]

I read the nitrogen, but it didn't register. My bad. Not enough coffee this morning. Did they have the same type of valve core assemblies like automotive tires, or were they more specialized?

I heard that, too. Canada wanted a twin engine fighter. The F-14s became available when the Shah was overthrown and it would've met the unique long-range patrol requirements that Canada had. But it was an expensive airplane, and I think cost was the driving factor.

The F-14 still couldn't quite meet the range that the AVRO Arrow (CF-105) would have had...but that's an entirely different story...

Didn't the story go that they would have gotten them cheap because of a deal with Iran? Looking it up, the plan was to buy them from Iran in the premise that they'd have a hard securing spare parts, but Canada would have no such issues. Apparently that was derailed after Iran found out that the Canadians helped American embassy workers get out of Iran.

That would have made the history of the Tomcat different. I heard that a lot of what was done to the retired Tomcats was to prevent parts from ending up in Iran. It would have been nice having a few airworthy examples without worrying about parts going to Iran if they had sold all of theirs to Canada.

Didn't the story go that they would have gotten them cheap because of a deal with Iran? Looking it up, the plan was to buy them from Iran in the premise that they'd have a hard securing spare parts, but Canada would have no such issues. Apparently that was derailed after Iran found out that the Canadians helped American embassy workers get out of Iran.

That would have made the history of the Tomcat different. I heard that a lot of what was done to the retired Tomcats was to prevent parts from ending up in Iran. It would have been nice having a few airworthy examples without worrying about parts going to Iran if they had sold all of theirs to Canada.

Canada issued a tender in 1977 for 130 to 150 new fighter jets. I bet the F-14's would have blown the budget.
No matter what stripe of government gets elected I always read that our military is in need of better funding.

Yeah. The cart has 3,000PSI bottles with a pressure regulator, etc.

INDUSTRIALLY, 2400, 3000, and 6000 bottles are reasonably common. Several manufacturers such as Haskell and Sprague make air powered compressors, also called gas boosters, (can be run from the N2 if "waste" is ok) which have no difficulty reaching these pressures.

It is perhaps pertinent that fire departments typically have compressors to fill their commonly 5000 psi air packs. I've been out of diving for too long, but think most diving SCUBA tanks are in the 2400-3500 psi range.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Canada issued a tender in 1977 for 130 to 150 new fighter jets. I bet the F-14's would have blown the budget.
No matter what stripe of government gets elected I always read that our military is in need of better funding.

Well - the thing about the F-14 purchase was that Iran was willing to sell them at fire sale prices because the US wasn't going to allow the sale of parts/missiles they would need to keep them functioning. Of course the Iranians found ways to secure parts and tried to make their own. And they've cannibalized the planes they had.

It still would have cost Canada more to maintain than the CF-18. If they did it they would have bought them in addition to an order for another aircraft. Maybe a smaller order.

I read the nitrogen, but it didn't register. My bad. Not enough coffee this morning. Did they have the same type of valve core assemblies like automotive tires, or were they more specialized?

Similar style but they are not all universal like automotive. Different sizes and such on different aircraft.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by Cup of Joe
It's a fighter jet. No need for thrust reversers.

The Swedes would beg to differ with you.

The Tornado is another exception to the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back