Exxon Superflo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why that is but I don't think there's too much demand for superflo because they don't do much advertising.

I am using it now and compared to Castrol and QS, my valve train is a little bit noisy but that may be because I haven't been using the same brand for every oil change.

Is Exxon superflo still being made by Mobil? It goes for about 1.49 at my local Autozone, and it seems to sell pretty quickly. Anyone do a voa on this oil lately?

Not only is it an EXCELLENT oil but it has a great price to performance ratio.

If you are interested, these coupons and rebate programs make it even BETTER.

If I had decided to stay with conventional oil, after an oem break in of 10,000 miles (Honda oil 5w20 is made by EM to the 5w20 Honda and Ford specifications) I would surely have stayed with Exxon Mobil Superflo 5w20 for the 2004 Honda.

http://www.exxonpreferredcard.com/USA-English/GFM/Consumer_Promotions/Coupons_Rebates.asp

After the factory fill I went to Mobil One's 0w20 (older spec) and will use the new Mobil One 5w20 when the 0w20 stash runs out in app 80,000 miles.

Yup! Lets see, .59 cents per qt x 12 = 7.08-4.20 (rebate for 12)=2.88/12=.24 cents per quart.

The last time I bought oil at .24 cents per quart was easily in the late 1960's. Life is good! eh?

Exxon Superflo is a good bang for the buck oil. I purchased a Cavalier with 100,000 + on the engine with no rebuild and the only oil ever used on it was Superflo. I stuck with it and got another 80k out of it, and it still ran strong when I sold it. (In fact, the motor was about the ONLY thing that worked well on it). I also use the SF 10w40 on my motorcycle, since that is the only vehicle I own that calls for 10-40 and I've got about three cases of the Exxon sitting on my shelf. (5.00 a case clearance from Dollar General about two years ago).

I think Exxon Superflow is so cheap because it isn't a mass marketed motor oil, this oil is usually on sale somewhere and is widely available to most consumers. It is as good as most, but I wouldn't run it past 5,000 miles/6months without a UOA.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
Not only is it an EXCELLENT oil but it has a great price to performance ratio.

If you are interested, these coupons and rebate programs make it even BETTER.

If I had decided to stay with conventional oil, after an oem break in of 10,000 miles (Honda oil 5w20 is made by EM to the 5w20 Honda and Ford specifications) I would surely have stayed with Exxon Mobil Superflo 5w20 for the 2004 Honda.

http://www.exxonpreferredcard.com/USA-English/GFM/Consumer_Promotions/Coupons_Rebates.asp

After the factory fill I went to Mobil One's 0w20 (older spec) and will use the new Mobil One 5w20 when the 0w20 stash runs out in app 80,000 miles.

I was just thinking that sometimes Pepboys has this oil for sale for about $.59 per quart. If I get the rebate from Exxon also, i can just a case almost for free.

The problem with the Exxon/Mobil is that their bottles have oversized spouts that don't fit into the filler hole and the caps are impossible to get off!

I actually think the wide bottleneck diameter of the M1, Mobil and Exxon bottle design is a good idea - the oil pours faster.

Just plan on using a plastic/paper funnel.
smile.gif

I usually leave the bottles to drip while I do something else (put away tools etc.) so I like to leave the bottle upside down on top of the engine for awhile. I don't want to clean a funnel, too. My dad used to let the bottles drip for hours to get every last drop. I don't go to that extreme, but I do let them drip about 10 minutes as I do other things.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
The problem with the Exxon/Mobil is that their bottles have oversized spouts that don't fit into the filler hole and the caps are impossible to get off!

I have found one engine with a filler hole big enough for those bottles:

GM's 2.2L Ecotec

Okay, now that we've determined how cheap it is [especially after rebate], what stores stock it? My w-m doesn't. Parts stores my this town include:

AZ, Oreilly, Carquest, Napa; pepboys and advance are farther away.

quote:

Originally posted by terminaldegree:
Okay, now that we've determined how cheap it is [especially after rebate], what stores stock it?....

In my area, AZ carries Exxon Superflo oil.

Guys,

Do you think Exxon Superflow can handle a 6-month (winter), very short-tripped OCI in the 4.6L (my Tbird) with a total of 108k miles?

I'm trying to save money on oil as much as I can. With the rebate Exxon seems very cheap.
I might be able to "fortify" the Exxon with 0.5-1 qt of RL and/or VSOT.

...or should I stick with MC/PZ/Mobil-5000?

Quote:
...or should I stick with MC/PZ/Mobil-5000?

The Superflow is fine for 3K/six months.

Of the three oils you listed, Motorcraft would be my first grab. It still sells for $1.99 at Murrays Auto Parts around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back