Ever had a engine or Transmission failure?

1996 Ford Explorer transmission failed at about 130k. Fluid changed every 30-40k miles. It was a mechanical failure not fluid related

1995 Toyota Camry with the 4 cylinder. Temperature gauge went from normal to absolutely buried in the red almost immediately followed by a near complete lack of compression.

Burnt a valve in a 1984 Audi Coupe GT at about 225k miles. Other than that nothing but I'm insane about maintenance like many here 😅.

2 more Audis taken to 250k and 278k before retiring them and both trans and engine were fine. The latter was a 99 A8 with reported trans issues (lifetime fluid). I changed the fluid regularly. No issues 🤔.

Now on 3 Volvos with 100, 140 and 160k. All good.

I had both fail back to back right about the time I graduated high school. Chevy S-10 Blazer with the 2.8 V-6. The transmission failed first. Engine seemed to run okay so I took it to AAMCO for a transmission rebuild. A couple of months later the engine started making a lot of clatter from the bottom end. Mechanic said the engine was toast. Traded it in on a Ford Ranger. In hindsight, I should have just cut my losses before paying for the transmission re-build given the age, mileage, and overall condition of the car at the time.

Blew a head gasket in a Nissan hardbody once. Sounded like a lot of damage was done. It was rusty and old and I opted to junk it and not repair. Learned my lesson on the Chevy already by that time.

1986 Chevy C10 700R4.

Dad used the truck to drag railroad ties across a pasture. Fried it.

1000003582.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
None here personally but as I was growing up (mid sixties) my father had one engine and one transmission failure. The engine picked up a horrible load of carbon before 30,000 miles and broke a valve. The transmission started jumping out of gears.

I had a 1981 Chevy Citation 2.5 four cylinder engine blow up. It was caused by the carburator needle and float falling apart.
Gasoline was being dumped into the cylinders at a super high amount. Looking back it seems like a good thing.
Blew a head gasket on a 340 Dodge, too many 1/4 miles.

Knock on wood, never had an engine or transmission failure because of lubrication issues. Driving my dad's 1988 Pontiac 6000 with the 2.5 Iron Duke, it ate a few teeth off the camshaft gear on the highway at about 90,000 miles, but that was a notorious feature of that engine. Dad and I pulled the engine, swapped the gear, and the car went on for another 90,000 miles before the body rot got too bad.

I ended up having to get the Getrag 262 4 speed in my Bavaria rebuilt. One of the previous owners had used hypoid gear oil and compounded that mistake by under filling the gearbox. The bearing noise got to the point that I couldn't ignore it any longer. That is the only transmission I've owned that "failed." No engine failures period.

The transmission in my fiance's 94 Cavalier failed last week. It's an automatic with about 182,000 miles on it. She got the car with about 57,000 miles on it and I've done two transmission services during that time, the last one about 16,000 miles ago. Inside the pan was clean each time with very little buildup on the magnet.

The car will not go into any gear. She was pulling out of a business parking lot and heard a "pop" sound and the car would still go but not shift out of first gear. She drove slowly toward the house which was about 2 miles away and the car quit moving at all about a 1/4 of a mile from the house.

I checked the fluid when I got home and it still looked clean with no metal glitter in it. Something must have broke inside. Car is not worth fixing so it will probably go to the junkyard after I pull off a lot of newer parts that can be used on our two 92 Cavaliers. This is the first car that I have been around that has lost a transmission. I have never lost a motor on anything.

I had the engine fail on my 2005 Cadillac STS. NorthStar V8 timing chain jumped while going down the interstate and motor made some great noises as I got it off the highway... 13 years old 120k miles well maintained had Mobil 1 5w-30 in it the whole time I owned it. That car was so unreliable I decided to give a FCA vehicle a shot.. Which has been great. I spent 4-5k having a used engine put in it by a mechanic out of state (was on a road trip when it bit the dust) which was a mistake. Car never was right again and I sold it for $250 more than I'd paid for the engine replacement about 8 months later.

IMG_0938.JPG

The 2003 Accord in my sig is on BAYA trans #3. There's just not a lot you can do to keep them going over 100-130k (ish). All of them were maintained almost to the point of being over maintained, they just have flaws that rear their ugly heads after a while.

My dad's 2002 Trailblazer wouldn't stay in forward gear after 240k miles, My mom's 2008 Odyssey went through a transmission at about 140 or 150k. My half brother's dad smoked an engine in an 02' Malibu because he never checked the oil.

I just got rid of a 2020 F-150 -due to a transmission design defect or two was starting to show signs of failure.
Does that count?

Back