Have you ever had to replace an engine in a car?

I put a Porsche Super 90 engine in a ‘67 Bug in HS. Does that count?

And I helped my next door neighbor put a Corvair engine in his Meyers Manx dune buggy.
Did you beef up the tranny? It was a thing way back then to also swap in a Type 2 tranny from a VW Bus/Kombi/Transporter to handle the increased power after such an engine swap.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I started driving in 1986 and have owned more than 20 cars and not a single engine or transmission failure

Did you beef up the tranny? It was a thing way back then to also swap in a Type 2 tranny from a VW Bus/Kombi/Transporter to handle the increased power after such an engine swap.
I don’t remember. He was coolest guy in the neighborhood though. He ended up selling his Manx and shortened a VW Bus and put a 911 engine/5 speed trans in it. He could actually do wheelies in that bus.

Finally got my cx5 back after almost a month at the dealership. Cyl 4 rod bearings were bad so they replaced it with a new long block.

Clearly you aren't beating on them hard enough! :)

Oops! I did forget that I went through 7 transmissions in my 87 Mustang GT, however those failures were 100% drag racing related, as they were due to powershifting at the track, combined with the fact that I had a Paxton supercharger on the car, stressing that weak T5 transmission even more. So I definitely beat on that car pretty hard, and it was amazing that after 500+ quarter mile runs that 5.0 engine never missed a beat, didn't even lift a head gasket with the extra boost too! Never a transmission failure under normal driving conditions though. But in terms of street driving, yep, I do tend to baby my cars most of the time to keep them more reliable. That being said, I have always liked to go full throttle on empty long stretches of roads in all of the sports cars I've owned (and my entire adult life I've always owned at least one sports car at any given time, and sometimes two!)

Back