Extended Warranty Question

I have an extended warranty contract through AUL for a car I bought new 9 years ago. Says on it that oil must be changed every 6 mon/7.5k (even though VW recommends 1 yr/10k). Unfortunately years ago I went beyond that 6 mon/7.5k on a few occasions. So guessing they won't cover engine issues. My question is about the other parts of the car, like transmission. I have changed the trans fluid in time every 50k per what VW calls for, so would a trans failure still be covered despite that oil change issue I noted?

I would think so unless the company giving the warranty are complete weasels and want to deny the whole warranty because one stipulation wasn't met.

I would think so unless the company giving the warranty are complete weasels and want to deny the whole warranty because one stipulation wasn't met.
I think that is common business practice of third party warranties. Any reason regardless of origin can and will result in a warranty claim denial.

There was a post on BITOG a while back of a denial claim on a Ford in Canada. I am going to search for that thread.

My dealer gave me the extended warranty for free at 35k miles since they effed up an oil change which caused my car to lose a ton of oil and turn off as I was parking. But I'm now at 115k miles and never any engine issues so fortunately doesn't seem that incident had any effects.

Here is a thread where a third party denied a claim on a engine failure- because of not rotating the tires are required in the fine print of the policy:

Here is a thread where a third party denied a claim on a engine failure- because of not rotating the tires are required in the fine print of the policy:
Needs to be laws against that kind of weaselly tactic. It's basically a scam through fine print. Instead of weasle tactics like that in fine print, the law should say it needs to be in big bold print, and pointed out before signing up.

Never bought an extended warranty in my 68 years of life. Only once got bitten in the late 1980's on a refridgerator. It conked out a few months after warranty was expired.

They always try selling them with tires and such. Normally costs about the same price of a new tire. So I roll the dice and have won so far.

I was tempted when I bought the 2018 Subaru Forester, cost of electrical problems and all. But I won that chance. Only had one flat tire, so I am well ahead on that game. Warranty would have cost over $1000

Third party extended warranties are all complete weasels. The only extended warranty worth considering buying is the one direct from the car manufacturer.

I have an extended warranty contract through AUL for a car I bought new 9 years ago. Says on it that oil must be changed every 6 mon/7.5k (even though VW recommends 1 yr/10k). Unfortunately years ago I went beyond that 6 mon/7.5k on a few occasions. So guessing they won't cover engine issues. My question is about the other parts of the car, like transmission. I have changed the trans fluid in time every 50k per what VW calls for, so would a trans failure still be covered despite that oil change issue I noted?

Depends on the wording of your contract and applicable state law.

Only time you’ll figure out is when you go to collect. I think it’s valid out for the company as people get lazy and ruin vehicles .

Back