Evacuating major U.S. city: Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is: What constitutes adequate fuel (+ margin) to get out of a major American city in or ahead of a disaster?

Second, how is one to calculate such?

Third, your own car is unavailable, and a car strange to you will be used.

Fourth, do the automakers tend to build the same "range" or "distance-to empty" into the fleet (with the exceptions of a few at the bottom and top of the mpg range)?

Are we smart enough here at BITOG to come up with some rules of thumb in this regard?

My experience:
Left Dallas yesterday to meet father-in-law en route from South Texas, ahead of the Hurricane Rita. Met him in Waco a little over one hundred miles from Dallas, along IH-35.

A drive that normally took him about 6-hours took over 12 (and he's been making it since a youngster with his folks, about 1922 or 23). Old guy was exhausted what with mentally consigning his home to the waters (luckily, storm changed path and this scenario won't come to pass) and some terrific road jams around San Antonio where IH-10 and IH-35 come together. My son and I spent 1.5 hours at 60-67 mph average speeds in transit to Waco, but it took 3-hours to return (nothing, of course, like it was for those folks on IH-45).

We saw quite a few cars with drivers obviously tired, and often both driver and vehicle were in poor shape. On the return trip saw construction equipment flying down 35 (never seen those big, articulated front-end loaders mover so fast; a half-dozen at a time). Several convoys of power company equipment, blue & yellow lights flashing.

CB chatter indicated (early Thursday evening) that diesel was out at two major truckstops over three hundred & fifty miles north from Corpus Christi (straight down IH-35 to the Gulf Coast), and that some others were restricting amounts sold. Got home and my local station was already out of 87-octane. (For reference, IH-35 is the NAFTA corridor -- legal and illegal -- and three-quarters of all 21 million Texans live along or EAST of this road. The real western US begins a few miles to the west of IH-35; too little rainfall all the way to the Pacific Coast. Few towns or cities of any real size to handle refugee populations. http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-035.html).

Like many, I have been watching the news coverage from SE Texas/Houston metro. More than 6-million people live down there, and thousands ran out of gasoline before making it to Dallas and other points along IH-45. Galveston is 300 miles from Dallas, and the northern edge of Houston metro is about about 200 miles (Conroe). Port Arthur is around 400 miles straight down US-287 from Ft. Worth (go the other way and US-287 takes you to Yellowstone National Park via Denver).

Normal drive time to Conroe is 3-hours, and to Galveston is about 4.75 hours from Dallas. I have yet to hear of anyone from south of the IH-610/IH-45 interchange who made it in less than 16-hours (if they started past midnight Wednesday into early Thursday morning).

Several reports had it that 20 to 40 miles in 12-hours was not unusual, and that many were already running out of fuel at that point.

You'll note as you watch the coverage that plenty of out-of-fuel cars are newer HONDA Civic and the like. And, with people (family and friends) traveling in convoys, lack of money is not quite valid as the reason they ran out of fuel (and not at all to the point of this question). (Nor are question about trains, buses, teletransportation, if you please.)

Questions in my mind:

1] Is a burn rate of 10%/capacity per hour a good rule of thumb for this kind of stop-n-go?

2] Would doubling fuel capacity be the first step of prudence for evacuation?
dunno.gif

This is something I've wondered about since our buddies at BROWN & ROOT started buidling nuclear reactors both SW of Dallas and near Houston several decades ago. The terrorism angle has only added to it. There are no easy ways out of Dallas/Ft. Worth what with 6-million people and a metro area that stretches 100 miles E-W and over 50 miles N-S (more along the major routes for daily commuters).

Can we come up with something as a rule of thumb?

History holds hard lessons in evacuations. Let's plan a little.

You ask some great questions. I don't know how we'd double fuel capacity with only 72-96 hours of advanced warning.

I have to commend Texas, they had an evacuation plan and executed it. Far more organized at the local level than over in N.O. G-o-d bless you all!

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
You ask some great questions. I don't know how we'd double fuel capacity with only 72-96 hours of advanced warning.

I have to commend Texas, they had an evacuation plan and executed it. Far more organized at the local level than over in N.O. G-o-d bless you all!

Being Texas, I they will learn from what happened and impove it too.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:

1] Is a burn rate of 10%/capacity per hour a good rule of thumb for this kind of stop-n-go?

Figure about 0.2 to 0.5 gallons per hour at idle depending on engine size and other things like load. Minimize idle time and shut off all loads like AC if you want to conserve fuel.

Drive very smoothly so you minimize brake useage, that's what wastes the most fuel next to idling in stop and go.

If you drive a bit smoother than the person in front of you you will help smooth out the flow of traffic instead of make it worse.

I'd say it is at least 1.3 - 2.1 gls/hr burn rate for stop-n-go, on average. Idling, parked, is .75/gls/hr or less.

This isn't about mpg, per se. I "think" (fuzzy, here, as heart failure leaves me worn out after any type of extertion) that what I am seeing is people with more than 1/2-tank gas going under 100 miles prior to fuel exhaustion. Despite the vehicle or its condition.

Strapping 5 or 6 fuel jugs in the bed or to the roof isn't rocket science, but . . how to know?

In a scenario that was frightening (I don't count yesterdays 101F heat, pollution and humidity throughout Texas-east-of-35 even though my health could well leave me one of the dead out in that; I'm thinking of a chemical cloud or worse), I'd be busting into a junkyard to grab a small gas tank to strap to the roof of a friends, co-workers or strangers car. Or cutting one out of an economy car left behind. But that is a dangerous solution. And not one I want to use to plan.

Yeah, I do feel bad for the folks of Louisiana and their unashamedly crooked politics. A saying I've heard for years is that you have to grease at least sixty palms in New Orleans to get anything done, and it wouldn't surprise me. I wish I could say I wasn't too surprised.

And our Legislature in Texas is one of the countrys worst, and the governorship is a ceremonial post under the 1876 Constitution. The fool currently filling that chair should have opened all lanes of 45 and 10 to outbound traffic by 0700 on the 22nd by his persuasion if nothing else. Problem is that it has never been done before. But TxDOT was ready to have it earlier than was done. The jams were evident well before 0700. I was up by 0500 to see what was going on and was watching a selection of Houston and San Antonio telecasts.

Texas, the US, is a great place. But no politician or gov agency has any real power once an evacuation gets underway. Like war.

[ September 23, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

quote:

If you drive a bit smoother than the person in front of you you will help smooth out the flow of traffic instead of make it worse.

Whenever I try and "tame the slinky" ..every jacka$$ in the ajacent lane considers it an invite to attempt to beat the pack in moving forward by cutting in front of me. I will do 15 mph and attempt a JIT (just in time) catch up with the stopped traffic. I don't know what people see in "hurry up and wait"
dunno.gif

These roads were beyond capacity, there is NO way to drive smoothly or for economy. This is NOT a traffic jam. Ordinary conceptions do NOT work here.

Close to THREE MILLION Americans were leaving their homes yesterday from along the eastern and central Gulf Coast of Texas and into Louisiana. This dwarfs the imagination. The town of Lufkin, for example, in deep East Texas has a population of 35,000. Tonight, there are over 100,000 evacuees stranded there. And the winds will be over 40 mph sustained with a over a foot fo water to fall in the next 36-hours.

And Katrina left more than a quarter-million Lousianans already relocated to Texas.

quote:

These roads were beyond capacity, there is NO way to drive smoothly or for economy. This is NOT a traffic jam. Ordinary conceptions do NOT work here.

OK, you're right. Evryone drives exactly equally poorly under those conditions. No differances based on driving ability or ability to think at all.

With a possible flood coming, I bet every family with two cars took both cars to safety.

If there were a way to organize things, you could have everyone shut off their engines for an hour, then all take off and drive as far as posible until the traffic stops, then shut down again. But that will never happen, due to human nature.

Key learning with a Category 5 hurricane forecast to hit a major metropolitan area you live in:

Leave 100 hours prior to forecast land fall. Drive at least 1000 miles and make a nice, liesurely vacation out of it.

Also, if you're traveling via air and your flights require making a connecting flight at the airport of a major meptropolitan airport the day prior to the forecast landfall by a Category 5 hurricane in the city you are making your connection, do not get on the plane.

I believe some of the carmakers, at least Toyota and GM are going to be putting in engine cut-off at stops, much like the Prius does. This could probably save quite a bit of fuel in this situation.

I'll take our occasional 2 foot snow storms over the south's hurricanes any day. We just hunker down in front of the fireplace and make sure we have gas for the snowblower.

I don't have any answers. I am happy your family is ok after this ordeal and I hope no one goes through it again.

FWIW, it seems that about 320 miles of mixed driving is what a car is designated to travel on a tank of gas.

The hot weather and idling with the AC on would tend to make this s miserable experience for those who were traveling and cut the fuel economy to next to nothing.

A fairly strong tow rope might be a good addition to an emergency package.

quote:

Originally posted by pa04prius:
I believe some of the carmakers, at least Toyota and GM are going to be putting in engine cut-off at stops, much like the Prius does. This could probably save quite a bit of fuel in this situation.

I was thinking aPrius would be good vehicle for that kind of driving.

The Japanese also have some small non-US market S-Boxes that automatically shut the engine off at stops.

One idea I've heard is color coded license plates in areas where rapid evacuation is a real possibility. Evacuation is based on your tag color leaves the city during certain hours, possibly relieving the mobs of folks on the highway at the same time and a heavy fine for jumping out of the order. Only a theory, not sure if it would work.

Mike that's a good idea; I would just base it on the last digit. You could go even/odd or say if it's a "one" leave at 1 am or 1 pm. Vanity and commercial 11 & 12. Of course knowing human nature I don't think it will work; we can't keep one-man cars out of the carpool lanes during sane times.
frown.gif

offtopic.gif
If you look carefully at Massachusetts license plates the last digit is the month they expire in.

(Apologies, XS650, am tired and overreacted).

Having warning about weather conditions is one thing (and can be planned for), a chemical cloud on its way is another. In a panic, there won't be the generally orderly scene we witnessed on Thursday . . . but there might be the moments necessary to round up xtra fuel containers.

In that instance I know I would have no problem with busting into a junkyard for plastic gas tank, or even cutting the straps on an abandoned one and then strapping it to the roof of what is being driven (the car/truck of a co-worker, friend, stranger), where my own "ready supplies" are not available along with my vehicle.

I, too, think 320 miles/tank may be the automakers guideline. But I am also thinking tht in 2.5-5.0 mph traffic that one may be burning 10% of available fuel hourly, or greater; at a rate of 1.3 to 2.1 gls/hr minimum. That may translate into 10-12 TOTAL hours (no reserve) of available fuel (starting from a full tank).

I don't feel my assumptions are quite right, I'm still recovering from Thursdays energy expenditure.

At this point (and am hoping someone will take an interest in this subject more in depth), I am considering doubling fuel capacity for either of my vehicles by the simple expediency of adding 5-gl fuel jugs. On the sedan, with a detachable aftermarket rack, and in the pickup, secured in the bed.

I don't know if anyone made it from south of the Houston IH-610/IH-45 interchange to Dallas or to a point similar in distance on one tank, and would like to know some of the fuel consumption numbers and details of traffic speeds/travel times.

This won't be the last evacuation, nor will it be the last without being able to count on fuel.

quote:

(Apologies, XS650, am tired and overreacted).

I should be appolgizing to you for being -retentive with someone in your stressful situation. But thanks.

quote:

Having warning about weather conditions is one thing (and can be planned for), a chemical cloud on its way is another. In a panic, there won't be the generally orderly scene we witnessed on Thursday . . . but there might be the moments necessary to round up xtra fuel containers.

In that instance I know I would have no problem with busting into a junkyard for plastic gas tank, or even cutting the straps on an abandoned one and then strapping it to the roof of what is being driven (the car/truck of a co-worker, friend, stranger), where my own "ready supplies" are not available along with my vehicle.

This won't be the last evacuation, nor will it be the last without being able to count on fuel.

Probably the best thing you could do would be ready to go at the drop of a hat, at least you would beat most of the herd to the freeway.

Extra fuel capacity is a good idea, preferably well though out ahead of time and as safe as practicle. Also an extra water supply ready to go.

The good news about a chemical cloud is that it wouldn't cover as much area as a hurricane and would tend to go in one general direction. The area that needed to be evacuated would be much smaller. Unfortunately that would be partially offset by ahigher level of panic in the general population.

Without running on about stuff that is general knowledge and/or common sense already, I'll just say that when it comes to evacuation plans, the devil is in the details.

i.e. Plan: If a hurricane is coming, everybody take Interstate such-and-such out of town.
i.e. Detail: Arrange extra fuel shipments to stations on the evac route.
Hopefully the state and local govts. will learn from this.

I am reminded of a fire drill when I was in high school. We'd always exit out the front of the school, cross the street, walk around the block, and go back in. Until the time the school forgot to call the fire dept. and tell them it was a drill.
pat.gif
That day we realized that the street we crossed was between the school and the fire station, and therefore the rapidly arriving fire trucks.
shocked.gif
We scattered like pidgeons. Lucky no one got run over and killed.
After that, we had a new plan.

Still, anyone with any idea of fuel consumption rates at 2-5 mph in heaviest traffic?

The most "obivous" planning item to me is familiarity with maps, the demonstrated ability to use them, and to drive a few of the routes. GPS-based navigation, Mapquest, etc, are worthless
for one of these scenarios.

But knowing how long one has till the vehicle runs out of fuel (mileage is relative to the problem, not central) at walking/jogging speeds with constant stops . . that's some info needed as a rule of thumbe for planning.

The Dallas paper indicates that "many" people reported being in transit from metro Houston to Dallas for 36-hours. Some reported 60-hours. I have yet to hear less than 14-hours, even for people departing Houston north of both IH-610 and the Tollways.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/n....S. States, Territories and Possessions/Texas

From the downtown of one to another, Houston to Dallas is 240-miles; average drive time of 3'41",
or, an average speed (high) of 64 mph (one needn't leave the freeways in this instance).

When one factors in a single stop to stretch and get a Dr Pepper, travel time (drive time plus any stops; total elapsed time), an average speed of
about 55 mph is reasonable; or, 4'15". Most of us here think of Houston as being a four hour drive (well, those of old enough to remember when the 610 Loop was built).

240 miles in 14-hours equals 17 mph, about 5-6 mph slower than the traditional, accepted speed for city traffic of 22-23 mph.

In my truck, averaging at 12.8 - 13.4 mpg at an average speed of 21-23 mph for most tanks this past year, that translates into fifteen and one-third hours with no reserve. Or, a fuel consumption rate of 1.7 gls/hr. I'll read that as being 2.0 gls/hr for slower speeds, and add to it for all the idling plus any cargo load making standing starts worse, and go to 2.5 gls/hr (a 32% increase).

A 10% per hour consumption rate with a 26-gallon fuel tank I'm looking at likely less than 10-hours of endurance, again, with no reserve. With a five gallon reserve -- 2.0 hours -- thats 20 gals, or, 8-hours of endurance.

Which means if my assumptions are correct [questionable as yet], then I'd have needed as much as 50-gallons of fuel to travel from Houston to Dallas; two full tanks.

Even with an additional 30-gals in the bed, then I'd have used all of it with only my reserive remaining.

Now, someone out there is going to say, okay amigo buy a more fuel efficent car. Okay, I now "own" a Honda Civic sedan MY2005 which gets 30-mpg city. Fuel tank holds 13-gls. 30 mpg at 22 mph is a consumption rate of 1.3 gls/hr. We'll bring that to 1.7 gls/hr (22% increase) for the reasons stated in the Dodge example above, and find an endurance of 7.5 hours. With a two hour reserve, or 3.5 gls leaving 9.5 gls, thats 5.5 hours range.

The DODGE has at least a 2-1/2 hour advantage on the Honda in this scenario because MPG isn't the point. Endurance is.

At this time I think that one needs to factor a consumption rate of 2.0 - 2.5 gls/hr for most any car in the fleet at speeds one-quarter that of usual city traffic, and maybe only slightly better at speeds up to 22 mph. And that is with the second assumption that the vehicle has normally-functioning drivetrain and that the tires hold a good amount of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back